Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby changing facilities in Greystones library

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Im just trying to say, if it was me id choose other/better places to change my kid that is all...

go on then - you're in the library and need to change your child's nappy.

Where's your first port of call?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 myoreflex

Totally agree with initial poster- its absurd that there are no changing facilities in a public library. Had the same experience over a year ago- took my toddler to the kids corner in the library which is perfect for small kids to sit quietly and read and learn the concept of borrowing a book and bringing it back. Needed to change newborn and urgently- received the same response from the "friendly" librarian and we had to cut our lovely outing short to go back to the car and drive home to change a nappy- was a real shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭HappyDaze007

loyatemu wrote: »
    go on then - you're in the library and need to change your child's nappy.

Where's your first port of call?

Seriously..? Erm... The Burnaby pub...? Or 1 of the 96 cafes we have...

Yawn..

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭artvandelay48

I was walking by the fire station when I needed to change a nappy. I was appalled that this county council building did not offer baby changing facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,663 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Must have been some dirty nappy to need assistance from the firemen. Fire stations are not public buildings. Perhaps I can suggest the Garda station for the argument, which is partly accessed by the public. Now that building is non-compliant for basic access (stepped approach). Hopefully by the end of 2015, public buildings are required to meet those provisions
    Buildings which are public buildings on the date when section 25 of the Disability Act came into force (i.e. 31 December, 2005) or which become public buildings after that date, must be brought into compliance with Part M of the Building Regulations 1997 (as amended) by 31 December 2015.
    https://www.ombudsman.gov.ie/en/About-Us/Legislation/The-Disability-Act/

Separately (and probably should be a thread on its own), I would like to compile a list of buildings accessed by the public in Greystones which anyone feels does not meet the basic requirements. Universal accessibility is about providing access for everyone to buildings which are accessed generally by the public. Please PM me with any areas which you feel need to be addressed, including banks, cafes, restaurants. Older buildings before the introduction of the newer building regulations may not need to comply.

To give you an example, a designated disabled toilet being used as a store room - this being kept locked from people who need to use it.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Chocolate fiend

Seriously..? Erm... The Burnaby pub...? Or 1 of the 96 cafes we have...

Yawn..

To be met with the response that facilities are for patrons use only, so you go and buy a Club orange to change a nappy.

Of course a library (especially a newly refurbished one) should have changing facilities, anyone who thinks otherwise is simply wrong. There is a children's section in the library, small babies like to look at pictures in books and it is a great way to start their lifelong love of books. Libraries are not just for students and people who don't want to stick on the heating at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

The world has gone stark raving bonkers! At least some parts of it. It is a LIBRARY, not a community centre. A library is a place for reading books, and should be a quiet place. For those of you unclear on the concept, see wikipedia's definition: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Library

There is absolutely no requirement for a library to have changing facilities. (Yes of course to disabled access.) Nappy-wearing toddlers with attention spans of minutes shouldn't be in a library in the first place. Babies especially not.

This notion of entitlement is absurd. It is your baby, so your responsibility, not all of society. When you go out with your toddler you know if there is a chance that his/her nappy will need to be changed (as in, a 100% chance!), so plan for it. Don't demand and expect that the whole world revolves around your needs.

Where there SHOULD be toilets and changing facilities is the DART station. And there was until some eejits kept damaging them, so now they are locked up.

Best place to go is The Happy Pear... They love kids there.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

myoreflex wrote: »
    Totally agree with initial poster- its absurd that there are no changing facilities in a public library. Had the same experience over a year ago- took my toddler to the kids corner in the library which is perfect for small kids to sit quietly and read and learn the concept of borrowing a book and bringing it back. Needed to change newborn and urgently- received the same response from the "friendly" librarian and we had to cut our lovely outing short to go back to the car and drive home to change a nappy- was a real shame.
    Precisely! I thought I was a bit weird there in not leaving my baby at home alone whilst I took my older boy to the library. I don't have someone to mind him during the day for me and my older kid is heading to bed around late opening time so day time is (strangely!) the only time I can go to the library with my little boy and need to bring my baby with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Shazerina

darter wrote: »

There is absolutely no requirement for a library to have changing facilities. (Yes of course to disabled access.) Nappy-wearing toddlers with attention spans of minutes shouldn't be in a library in the first place. Babies especially not.

When were you last in the library? And did you check out the children's corner? You might change your perception of toddlers if you check it out the next time you are there.

Agree with you on the DART station.

But again, maybe I'm weird, or my toddler may be, but I can't predict his nappies 100%. And in any case, in my op it was the baby's nappy I was referring to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭poldebruin

I don't understand people complaining that people are asking for a basic facility to be available in the library, as if once installed, mothers and fathers will be flocking to the library to change their baby's nappies there. We're talking about a fold-out shelf and possibly a bin/disposal unit - hardly a sense of entitlement.

The notion that babies don't belong in a library is ludicrous, as is the idea that they will be screaming and crying the entire time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement