Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

ooter wrote: »
    Lads,what sort of time would the 3 hr pacers be going through half way in at DCM?

1.29:45, give or take a few seconds. Even paced throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

1.29:45, give or take a few seconds. Even paced throughout.

Cheers dr,seriously considering hanging on their coattails at DCM.
    Felt really comfortable with the 1:30 pacers in the HM today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 shaneor15

And will the three 3 hr pacers stay together as a group?. Last yr there was a large gap between two of them..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

shaneor15 wrote: »
    And will the three 3 hr pacers stay together as a group?. Last yr there was a large gap between two of them..

They will generally run as a loose group- although this doesn't have to mean three pacers running side-by-side. Last year there was about 45 seconds between some of the 3 hour pacers on the course- possibly that is a little close to the high side of expected variance. Unfortunately one of the sub3 pacers last year fell off the pace towards the end, that's an unavoidable aspect I'm afraid. This year we will have back again the two pacers who did hit their target, plus another runner who is a 2:36 marathoner.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

Hi guys,

Ran the Race series HM yesterday. Kept it pretty conservative up till mile 9 at about 7.30 per mile and pushed on at mile 10 to finish in 1.36(myPB is 1.32 from Newry HM in May). I know I have a better time than that if I raced it flat out but I'd ran a 20m LSR last Monday and felt quite tired this week so though I'd be sensible... For a change.

Anyway in terms of LSRs I have an 18miler Monday week and the Athlone 3/4. But I guess overall, how much faster can you get in just over one month to DCM? In general I think I'm just looking at sub 3.30 as I lost June/July to injury.

Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I did the half in 1.34. yesterday - prob have a bit more in me in terms of absolute PB but like you I m off teh back of a 20m last week

Im aiming for sub 3.20 DCM and reckon im on track - felt strong yesterday, last 3 miles in sub 7 pace so happy.
    Im using the old double your half time and add ten mins theory for DCM

so going on that Id say youre sre well on track - IM planning 3 more LSRs
    22(maybe as I have never gone above 20), 20 & 18 before taper

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Mod:

Posts moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Did the last 14 miles of the marathon course at PMP yesterday to get the lay of the land as I know it's slightly different this year....and I also remember very little of anything after half way from 2013!
    There were a few moments yesterday of thinking...oh yeah! This looks vaguely familiar!

I was unfuelled, I have some kind of head cold/cough/sore throat combo at the moment and was on my feet for the morning watching the half so hopefully this will give me some indication of running it on tired legs. I liked the fact that Roebuck/Fosters Avenue and UCD flyover come later rather than earlier. I'd much rather break myself on a hill when it's nearer the end rather than be banjaxed with a long way to go.
    The last 2 miles were lovely. Although ask me again on the day!

Did 20 today on nicely tired legs but had plenty in the tank for a fast finish mile so hopefully that will stand to me at the end of October.

I'm only planning one more LSR, again on tired legs. Is that too few? Seems to be a lot on here that are doing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Thanks to all who provided sensible advice about how to use the sub 3 pacers, much appreciated.

I must admit I'm getting butterflies even reading about it, I'm going to be a nervous wreck on the day, mainly because of the huge amount of work gone into training etc.
    Just three very hard weeks left before taper begins..good luck all.

Hey RFR, you're not alone, I know the exact feeling!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

xElDeeX wrote: »
    Did the last 14 miles of the marathon course at PMP yesterday to get the lay of the land as I know it's slightly different this year....and I also remember very little of anything after half way from 2013!
    There were a few moments yesterday of thinking...oh yeah! This looks vaguely familiar!

I was unfuelled, I have some kind of head cold/cough/sore throat combo at the moment and was on my feet for the morning watching the half so hopefully this will give me some indication of running it on tired legs. I liked the fact that Roebuck/Fosters Avenue and UCD flyover come later rather than earlier. I'd much rather break myself on a hill when it's nearer the end rather than be banjaxed with a long way to go.
    The last 2 miles were lovely. Although ask me again on the day!

Did 20 today on nicely tired legs but had plenty in the tank for a fast finish mile so hopefully that will stand to me at the end of October.

I'm only planning one more LSR, again on tired legs. Is that too few? Seems to be a lot on here that are doing more.

Everyone is different so no real point comparing yourself to others. If you are at the stage of running 14 miles @PMP and not be in a complete heap at the end then you are in great shape heading into the last few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Foolishly decided to read all 21 pages of this thread last night before going to sleep (couldn't fall asleep)
    Needless to say I had some weird dreams!

Getting nervous about DCM2014 now but also excited, just want it to be next week....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I've always thought that 'double the half time and add 10 mins' notion a bit suspect. How can it work for both, say, 2.30 pace and 4 hr pace? Surely it makes more sense to double the half time and add 10%.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

My milk had a best before date of OCT 1 this morning........OCTOBER! I can almost smell the BO mixed with deep heat mixed with the pre race nerves of Fitzwilliam Sq:eek:

Time to knuckle down and make the next 3 weeks really count!

My 5 week plan starts today-
    • Train smart and listen to my body
    • Eat clean(er)
    • Get more Sleep

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

sideswipe wrote: »
    My milk had a best before date of OCT 1 this morning........OCTOBER!

It gets even more real when your milk's best before date is after the marathon :o

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Running Fool

sideswipe wrote: »
    My milk had a best before date of OCT 1 this morning........OCTOBER! I can almost smell the BO mixed with deep heat mixed with the pre race nerves of Fitzwilliam Sq:eek:

Time to knuckle down and make the next 3 weeks really count!

My 5 week plan starts today-
    • Train smart and listen to my body
    • Eat clean(er)
    • Get more Sleep

5wks out - what really can change in those 5wks do people think?
    As in can you get faster/fitter or is it really just a case of staying on course and maintaining your fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

5wks out - what really can change in those 5wks do people think?
    As in can you get faster/fitter or is it really just a case of staying on course and maintaining your fitness.

For me I'm hoping the next 3 weeks will be peak training i.e. last LSR's with some PMP, some VO2 max and tune up races, hopefully a lot of quality milage. So yes I think you can get faster and fitter (obviously not by huge margins). After that it's taper time when its about maintaining fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Quick question. Have not got much training in last 2 weeks due to being away and last week being sick. Missed long run last weekend but week before was on down week. Have done 2 x 18 mile runs previous so wondering do I have enough in the legs? Not feelin up to hard training yet so easy runs this week as well..

• Registered Users Posts: 35 3D2S

Quick question. Have not got much training in last 2 weeks due to being away and last week being sick. Missed long run last weekend but week before was on down week. Have done 2 x 18 mile runs previous so wondering do I have enough in the legs? Not feelin up to hard training yet so easy runs this week as well..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

3D2S wrote: »

2x 18 should get you around- though if you go out at all hard the last 6 -8 miles will be hell....forget a goal time and just enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Huuuuummmmmmmmm..........................................my body is a Temple..................Huuuuummmmmmmmm

After a crappy 23K run 2 weeks ago (knackered afterwards), I have cut out all beer and alcohol, fast food, chips, crisps, sweets, chocolate (bar a small bit of dark Chocolate), now eating porridge and raisins, drinking lots of water with Blackcurrant,eating pasta etc. Now taking Pharmaton Active tablets, Rubex/Beeline and Seven Seas Cod Liver oil tablets (which I normally did anyway).
    Three big training runs left to go for my first DCM a 27K this weekend, a 30K and a 32K...starting to feel kinda good about it all now!!
    Anyone else going on a purge? What are you guys giving up or taking more of?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

good god smashiner, that's some load of vitamins and supplements, you'll end up peeing most of them out you know :)

Anyway, suppose there is no harm in ramping up the vitamin C while the mileage is climbing. I squeeze an orange and a ruby grapefruit most mornings (when I'm not rushing out the door on the school run).
    I'm also taking Kinetica whey protein for recovery and having an ice bath after the long runs and speed sessions.

I plan to get more sleep too but that's not working out very well...got back from my run last night at 10pm and sure couldn't sleep until well past midnight and up at 6:20 this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

good god smashiner, that's some load of vitamins and supplements, you'll end up peeing most of them out you know :)

Anyway, suppose there is no harm in ramping up the vitamin C while the mileage is climbing. I squeeze an orange and a ruby grapefruit most mornings (when I'm not rushing out the door on the school run).
    I'm also taking Kinetica whey protein for recovery and having an ice bath after the long runs and speed sessions.

I plan to get more sleep too but that's not working out very well...got back from my run last night at 10pm and sure couldn't sleep until well past midnight and up at 6:20 this morning.

Hi, thanks for the reply run_Forrest_run.
    Yep, I read that training for a marathon can affect your immune system if you are not careful, so that is why I beefed up the Multi Vitamins to avoid coughs and colds etc and I too am also trying to get a bit more shut eye. Like you, I am struggling to get asleep at night (thinking about the DCM!!):rolleyes:
    Ice baths!! Now that is admirable dedication to the cause.......

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

smashiner wrote: »
    Hi, thanks for the reply run_Forrest_run.
    Yep, I read that training for a marathon can affect your immune system if you are not careful, so that is why I beefed up the Multi Vitamins to avoid coughs and colds etc and I too am also trying to get a bit more shut eye. Like you, I am struggling to get asleep at night (thinking about the DCM!!):rolleyes:
    Ice baths!! Now that is admirable dedication to the cause.......

I find a cold bath really helps with muscle aches after lsr. I don't put ice in it. It's cold enough! It's cold at the start but it's like swimming in the Irish Sea, once you're in you're grand. Give it 5 mins then a hot shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Joleigh wrote: »
    I find a cold bath really helps with muscle aches after lsr. I don't put ice in it. It's cold enough! It's cold at the start but it's like swimming in the Irish Sea, once you're in you're grand. Give it 5 mins then a hot shower.

or once the cold pains ease off try moving your legs about in the bath again, that will disturb the layer of heat trapped by the hairs on your legs and make it all nice and cold again..top tip ;)
    I also tend to give it at least 10 minutes before hopping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

3D2S wrote: »

Also could be worth thinking about your taper. I don't know what you'd planned, but if it was a 3 week taper, then you might not need that after your 2 quiet weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

Need new runners for the marathon & the guy in Amphibian King recommended getting half a size bigger than normal due to swelling on the day.
    They weren't in stock but is this a common enough thing to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

frash wrote: »
    Need new runners for the marathon & the guy in Amphibian King recommended getting half a size bigger than normal due to swelling on the day.
    They weren't in stock but is this a common enough thing to do?

Yep all my runners I ever bought are half a size bigger than my shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jaysus if you think thats a lot you should see my supplement shelf at home........I reckon Im taking more pills than Courtney Love at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

or once the cold pains ease off try moving your legs about in the bath again, that will disturb the layer of heat trapped by the hairs on your legs and make it all nice and cold again..top tip ;)
    I also tend to give it at least 10 minutes before hopping out.

I don't have hairy legs :) I'll give it longer than 5 mins next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I normally have a hot bath after my long runs, followed by a few Carlsberg and Crisps for Carb loading. Now there's dedication for you. ;)

I ran 1.32 for Charleville on Sunday so I should be on course for my target 3.30 after missing it on my first two attempts with 3.43 and 3.40. I ended up in the first aid tent after both these attempts, so another target is not to end up in a wheelchair or stretcher once I cross the line.:rolleyes:

Advertisement