Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Pretty much anyone can complete the marathon
    This woman completed the marathon last year, 8 and a half hours on crutches, just incredible.
    Or at the other end of the inspiration scale, a few years ago some student from UCD walked around in 6 or 7 hours, to write an article about it.

So yeah, it's not too late to 'start training', you can 'just get around' if that's what you want to do, you can finish.

But 99% of the people asking that question will not start the marathon as if their only goal is to finish. They'll start the marathon running, they'll look at the old or overweight people around them and think "I'm fitter than them, sure if they can do it I can do it better"
    And for the first 5 or 10 miles it will be a piece of piss.
    And the last 5 or 10 or 15 miles will hurt, and in November there'll be thousands more people with a story to tell about how they were on for a great time in the marathon until they hit the wall or got a completely unforeseeable injury and had to drop out. At Clonskeagh, if they're stubborn, but probably much earlier.
    While the old and overweight people who went out and trained for the event might have a hard time, but they'll more than likely finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

menoscemo wrote: »
    I hope it's just that your sarcasm detector is turned off?
    My point is that anyone can 'finish' a marathon; like the 32 stomne man who did it in 11 hours.
    If you want to do yourself justice however you need to train for it properly.

I meant it sincerely in that I could have done with your words of confidence when others were saying its unlikely.
    But sure I guess we'll see what happens on the day, unfortunately I couldn't train exclusively for this as people are mentioning as I was training for my 70.3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Pm1e wrote: »
    I meant it sincerely in that I could have done with your words of confidence when others were saying its unlikely.
    But sure I guess we'll see what happens on the day, unfortunately I couldn't train exclusively for this as people are mentioning as I was training for my 70.3

I don't think anyone said it was unlikely you would finish?
    I mean if you are prepared to target a slower time than you should be capable of; and/or are prepared walk parts of it, then of course you will finish!!

menoscemo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone said it was unlikely you would finish?
    I mean if you are prepared to target a slower time than you should be capable of; and/or are prepared walk parts of it, then of course you will finish!!

Yeah I hear you, thanks for the input. Going to enjoy it either way, love running around the city.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Yeah I hear you, thanks for the input. Going to enjoy it either way, love running around the city.

Good stuff- maybe if you ran around the city more you'd be better prepared to run DCM ;)

• Advertisement

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Good stuff- maybe if you ran around the city more you'd be better prepared to run DCM ;)

As I said, didn't have the time to allocate to just running as I was in the middle of tri season & HIM training. Added to that I do a lot of long distance swimming. But nice to see those on their high horses welcoming the newcomers to running. Will post finish time here when complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

As I said, didn't have the time to allocate to just running as I was in the middle of tri season & HIM training. Added to that I do a lot of long distance swimming. But nice to see those on their high horses welcoming the newcomers to running. Will post finish time here when complete.

There are a lot of mileage junkies here, some of whom cannot fathom the thoughts of a low mileage marathon. You aren't coming from a standing start and providing you pick a relatively conservative time then you should be fine.

Make sure to post your post marathon thoughts here!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

I remember last year we got an early look at what the finisher t-shirt would look like....
    Has anyone seen the 2014 t-shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

@Pm1e

Bizarrely, I'll be doing something similar ... though without all the tri training as a basis for core fitness, just a regular bike commute in my case.

In August I ran the R'nR Half in 1:43, without much training (BTW I trained very systematically for that same event last year, and yet ended up running an almost identical time this year, go figure!).

Between various niggles, vacation, and work pressure, I only got around to start DCM training 2.5 weeks ago. Assuming a one week min-taper, that'll give me me a 6 week prep program in total, same as your own.

I did a half-marathon-sized LSR last weekend, and plan to up that through 14, 15 & 16 miles the next 3 weekends, but go no further than that in training. I learned last year that a 22 mile run before the marathon really is just counter-productive.

I'm fully confident I'll get around, but won't be improving on my 3:44 time from last year's DCM. I'd be delighted with sub-4, but I'd take any kind of ropey time under 4:15.

The point is: just don't go nuts pace-wise on the day and your core fitness will probably carry you through without too much drama.

geodesic wrote: »
    @Pm1e

Bizarrely, I'll be doing something similar ... though without all the tri training as a basis for core fitness, just a regular bike commute in my case.

In August I ran the R'nR Half in 1:43, without much training (BTW I trained very systematically for that same event last year, and yet ended up running an almost identical time this year, go figure!).

Between various niggles, vacation, and work pressure, I only got around to start DCM training 2.5 weeks ago. Assuming a one week min-taper, that'll give me me a 6 week prep program in total, same as your own.

I did a half-marathon-sized LSR last weekend, and plan to up that through 14, 15 & 16 miles the next 3 weekends, but go no further than that in training. I learned last year that a 22 mile run before the marathon really is just counter-productive.

I'm fully confident I'll get around, but won't be improving on my 3:44 time from last year's DCM. I'd be delighted with sub-4, but I'd take any kind of ropey time under 4:15.

The point is: just don't go nuts pace-wise on the day and your core fitness will probably carry you through without too much drama.

Sounds like you have a similar make up to me, I can train for an event meticulously and for the same event at a different date with minimal training, pull off a similar time. Comes down to a very high level of basic fitness and ability. Swam national level as a young lad, got in the pool after 10 years away from it and was close to similar times. Only added on 15mins in my HIM from my RnR HM and that was after horrendous conditions on the bike. I can understand what people are saying regarding giving it more time but I guess unlike them, I just dont need as much as they do, you sound like a similar breed. All will be revealed I guess

• Advertisement

Sounds like you have a similar make up to me, I can train for an event meticulously and for the same event at a different date with minimal training, pull off a similar time. Comes down to a very high level of basic fitness and ability. Swam national level as a young lad, got in the pool after 10 years away from it and was close to similar times. Only added on 15mins in my HIM from my RnR HM and that was after horrendous conditions on the bike. I can understand what people are saying regarding giving it more time but I guess unlike them, I just dont need as much as they do, you sound like a similar breed. All will be revealed I guess

Must be your stunning humility that powers you through! How many times are you gonna remind us you "swam at a national level"? You wouldn't have an "Ironman" Tattoo by any chance, no?

Kinda funny the way these posts are going... 99 percent of committed runners I know don't bother bragging about their achievements because as DR just put it quite well- most of us, regardless of how good we think we are a long ways back from the true elites of the sport. (That includes every distance runner/ swimmer in Ireland.

I get it- you think you are some sort of genetic freak. Well whoopty ****ing do.

Look - none of your times are particularly impressive, who knows with proper training you might be able to run some really decent races but I guess we'll never know because like so many in the population its not about the journey, its about how little work I can put in so I can brag to the lads at the water cooler in work.

There are posters on this board who put in huge amounts of work for 4:00 marathons and ones who put in huge amounts for significantly faster ones. I have respect for all those who don't take the easy approach, lace em up and just get on with it. Blow hard braggarts who need recognition on the internet though is a slightly different story.

I wish you all the luck in the world but if you think by coming back on here, posting a time and bragging about how you did it off 6 weeks training is gonna impress anyone then you are deluded.

Must be your stunning humility that powers you through! How many times are you gonna remind us you "swam at a national level"? You wouldn't have an "Ironman" Tattoo by any chance, no?

Kinda funny the way these posts are going... 99 percent of committed runners I know don't bother bragging about their achievements because as DR just put it quite well- most of us, regardless of how good we think we are a long ways back from the true elites of the sport. (That includes every distance runner/ swimmer in Ireland.

I get it- you think you are some sort of genetic freak. Well whoopty ****ing do.

Look - none of your times are particularly impressive, who knows with proper training you might be able to run some really decent races but I guess we'll never know because like so many in the population its not about the journey, its about how little work I can put in so I can brag to the lads at the water cooler in work.

There are posters on this board who put in huge amounts of work for 4:00 marathons and ones who put in huge amounts for significantly faster ones. I have respect for all those who don't take the easy approach, lace em up and just get on with it. Blow hard braggarts who need recognition on the internet though is a slightly different story.

I wish you all the luck in the world but if you think by coming back on here, posting a time and bragging about how you did it off 6 weeks training is gonna impress anyone then you are deluded.

Absolutely not what I'm about at all. I came on here initially looking for advice, only to find snot nosed runners who wanted to remind me how, having not put in the miles I'll suffer. you seem to be missing the point that I haven't not trained for this out of ignorance but rather time restraints and other things. But people keep trying to have a dig, like you just did that. I haven't put the miles in so basically who do I think I am. Thats whats come across here. And as for bragging rights, I don't work with people who have any interest in the DCM. I am doing this to try and get into running a little bit more but it has just gone to show where your mindset lies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Absolutely not what I'm about at all. I came on here initially looking for advice, only to find snot nosed runners who wanted to remind me how, having not put in the miles I'll suffer. you seem to be missing the point that I haven't not trained for this out of ignorance but rather time restraints and other things. But people keep trying to have a dig, like you just did that. I haven't put the miles in so basically who do I think I am. Thats whats come across here. And as for bragging rights, I don't work with people who have any interest in the DCM. I am doing this to try and get into running a little bit more but it has just gone to show where your mindset lies.

(In the spirit of honest advice)
    There's little that transfers fitness wise from swimming to running, meaning that being a decent swimmer doesn't have any bearing on being a decent runner. What sort of distances were you swimming? If greater than 10k, then I'd say the best benefit will be on your ability to tough it out mentally when the going gets tough. Swimming will have benefitted your core though, and that'll be useful in maintaining good running form.

What sort of bike spins have you been doing? Bike endurance will transfer well to marathon running. A 15-min falloff from a straight HM and a HIM after a hard bike bodes well for you, that's a better yardstick for comparison. You'll be fine coming from that sort of training; get in maybe two long runs around 25-30km before the DM and I'd be surprised if you didn't go well under 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Their website is broken e.g. http://dublinmarathon.ie/s/SSE-AT-DM14-ROUTE-MAP_updated.pdf

Twitted them but no answer back.

UPDATE: it's my workplace's proxy that's the problem please ignore; dublinmarathon.ie is fine

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

echancrure wrote: »
    Their website is broken e.g. http://dublinmarathon.ie/s/SSE-AT-DM14-ROUTE-MAP_updated.pdf

Twitted them but no answer back.

link works for me

RayCun wrote: »
    link works for me

Yeah link working well here, was hoping the course may have shortened since the last time I looked at it lol :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

You are getting advice, Its just not the advice you want to hear. Again you make the excuse about time constraints and other things. That's a load of horse****e. If you are prepared to run a marathon plan for one next spring make the time by making sacrifices in your life. Come back and you will find that loads on here will be quite prepared to help you.

ger664 wrote: »
    You are getting advice, Its just not the advice you want to hear. Again you make the excuse about time constraints and other things. That's a load of horse****e. If you are prepared to run a marathon plan for one next spring make the time by making sacrifices in your life. Come back and you will find that loads on here will be quite prepared to help you.

How exactly is it horse ****? I was preparing for a half Iron, working and other commitments that I do not have to explain to you. I didn't have the time but look I've given up with this. Your next reply will be that I shouldn't be doing the marathon then if I was focusing on HIM but who are you to tell me that. Like talking to a wall. Anyway hope you all enjoy the race and see you out there. I'm sure there are some decent skins in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Your next reply will be that I shouldn't be doing the marathon then if I was focusing on HIM

Exactly that . If your key goal was the HIM then you are only box ticking "I ran a marathon". If you goal was the marathon then what the f**k where you doing pissing around on a bike and in the pool when you should have be build a running base.

Exactly that . If your key goal was the HIM then you are only box ticking "I ran a marathon". If you goal was the marathon then what the f**k where you doing pissing around on a bike and in the pool when you should have be build a running base.

Pi**ing around? Good man Ger, take your obnoxious comments now and run along.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

What a ridiculous statement.

I assume that you are hopping a ball??

Pi**ing around? Good man Ger, take your obnoxious comments now and run along.

Pm1e - in the spirit of giving sincere advise- I think there is a DCM thread in the tri/adventure event/ race walking/ other novelty sport forum. You might find more sympathetic ears over there as they wouldn't really be proper runners either and would understand your elite background/ plight :pac::D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Ecoenergy

I think it's time for everyone to move on. Some of us like to chat about the race without all this arguing. It's more enjoyable when we all tell each other how great we are. :D

Ecoenergy... I kinda hear you on that but as a long time poster on this forum (under a multitude of aliases) I just think a few of us get sick of the exact same posts in the lead up to DCM year after year.... it's like freaking groundhog day (and generally the posters are easy/ fun to wind up ;)

Ecoenergy... I kinda hear you on that but as a long time poster on this forum (under a multitude of aliases) I just think a few of us get sick of the exact same posts in the lead up to DCM year after year.... it's like freaking groundhog day (and generally the posters are easy/ fun to wind up ;)

Look lads, I never came here to stir the pi** or anything. I was genuinely looking to see how it'd go for me on the day. Didn't realise it'd upset so many people. Hope everyone has a good race and I'll try get more training in next time ok. ;) <snip - no personal abuse>

The other problem here is that none of us are wealthy enough to afford Tri- so maybe you are just sensing a bit of class resentment. Also I know I for one am really jealous that Irish "Celebrities" Bressie and Roz Purcell have chosen Tri "athletics" over proper running :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

snip/QUOTE]

snip - use the report function please

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Look lads, I never came here to stir the pi** or anything. I was genuinely looking to see how it'd go for me on the day. Didn't realise it'd upset so many people. Hope everyone has a good race and I'll try get more training in next time ok. ;) .

To give you some advice from my point of view. It is unlikely you will run your best marathon that you are capable of, but then even those that go through great training cycles can have disasters on the day. I would leave targetting a specific time for the future and just try to enjoy the experience. Dublin Marathon is a great race.

Concentrate on getting a couple of decent long runs in over the next 2 weeks with the focus on time on your feet rather than pace.

When the raceday comes start out slowly, it should feel very slow, even past halfway. The race only really begins at 20 miles and you might surprise yourself with your endurance from other sports.

Good luck with it.

blockic wrote: »
    No need for that kinda post around here. Leave it off.

Yep, totally out of character for me but there was no need for his remark. I'm totally new to marathon running and as I am with others coming in my sports, so he should be with his. F**k him.

• Advertisement

pistol_75 wrote: »
    To give you some advice from my point of view. It is unlikely you will run your best marathon that you are capable of, but then even those that go through great training cycles can have disasters on the day. I would leave targetting a specific time for the future and just try to enjoy the experience. Dublin Marathon is a great race.

Concentrate on getting a couple of decent long runs in over the next 2 weeks with the focus on time on your feet rather than pace.

When the raceday comes start out slowly, it should feel very slow, even past halfway. The race only really begins at 20 miles and you might surprise yourself with your endurance from other sports.

Good luck with it.

Thanks Pistol, sound advice that I will take on board. Not focusing on time, but I know the competitive side in me will come out so lets say sub 4 hours and see how we go. :D Are there 4hr pacers?

Advertisement