Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Nutrition question for a newbie.
    Doing my first marathon and havent a clue about eating and running.
    I bought a hydration pack and found it great.
    I tried caffeine gels while I got a boost from them I found them hard on the body.
    Someone suggested jelly squares to me?
    I don't fancy having to carry loads on me for the run itself,
    Any advice would be grateful thanks.

If you don't want to carry loads, ditch the hydration pack. Water is water, and they'll be giving out plenty on the course.
    The easiest gels to stomach are the isogels that are more liquid. You need to carry more though.
    Whatever you do, you have two weekend runs in which to practice. Don't try something new on the day that you are not used to in training, and that includes gel belts or armbands or whatever you will use to carry your nutrition.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Jmcmen

Did miles 0-20 of the route on Saturday afternoon, the first 7 are a fair bit easier than the old route.
    The roads have better surfaces along the quays also in comparison to old route, the camber is a lot less severe.

I dunno, I took in more of the start of the route this weekend. From when you enter the park at mile 3.5 to around mile 7.5 there is a rise the whole way. Not sure how to pace this as I did two loops of it and found that it can take alot out of you. Plus the decent from Castleknock College to the Furry Glen is steep and takes alot out of you running down hill.

Would welcome anyones thoughts on pacing this section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

RayCun wrote: »
    If you don't want to carry loads, ditch the hydration pack. Water is water, and they'll be giving out plenty on the course.
    The easiest gels to stomach are the isogels that are more liquid. You need to carry more though.
    Whatever you do, you have two weekend runs in which to practice. Don't try something new on the day that you are not used to in training, and that includes gel belts or armbands or whatever you will use to carry your nutrition.

Ah I wont be using the hydration pack on the day.
    Yes I know the isogels.
    Ill give them a try this week.
    Any real food options?
    Jelly beans nearly choked on them before....they are out:(

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Decided for DCM, my pace I should be ok with a 3:35 finish, was nearly certain I was going to try stick with the 3:30 pacers but after my LSR this weekend I've had a change of heart.
    I'm going to go with the 3:40 pacers and take it that little bit easier. I dont want to kill myself and have a horrific experience with the Marathon (my second ever)

Really looking forward to the event now,it's getting close. More so looking forward to a massive pizza and 6 beers after it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

High 5 gels work for me. Plus they're the ones handed out during the race. But don't rely on getting them on the course, easy to miss.

There's a good article here on alternatives to gels.

http://www.runnersworld.com/nutrition-for-runners/whole-food-alternatives-to-gels

Fig rolls, bananas etc. But if you're nearly choking on jelly beans, gels/energy drink might be the only options.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Ah I wont be using the hydration pack on the day.
    Yes I know the isogels.
    Ill give them a try this week.
    Any real food options?
    Jelly beans nearly choked on them before....they are out:(

Have a think about what you're going to eat the morning of the DCM.
    Try and practice it this weekend / next weekend.

Personally I just have two slices of toast 20mins before I leave the house.
    Bowl of pasta the night before. Don't try something new on the morning of the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Try the High5 Isogels. Easier on the stomach and handed out on the course. I have Nike shorts that can easy accommodate 4 gels or 3 Isogels.

You'll get Jellybeans etc. off the nice locals on the course! As ever, trial and error. There is still plenty of time to work out whats works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

I know DCM are giving out High5, but is it ISOgels or standard gels or both?

I imagine that it's a bit of a lottery on the day though; running past grabbing what you can?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

crisco10 wrote: »

I imagine that it's a bit of a lottery on the day though; running past grabbing what you can?

I believe both are handed out but someone can correct me if I am wrong. They are handed out at Mile 16 and 21. I think as long as you position yourself correctly you won't have any issue grabbing them. It's usually very straight-forward.

http://highfive.co.uk/guides/Dublin-Marathon-2014.pdf

Some would advise not to rely on gels at aid stations as its a bit haphazard and can be easily missed. Not sure what it was like last year though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Some would advise not to rely on gels at aid stations as its a bit haphazard and can be easily missed. Not sure what it was like last year though.

Yeah thinking that way. Probably only going to take 3-4 gels which is only 2 per pocket. Manageable! Just grab water at aid stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

crisco10 wrote: »

I know they'll be giving out both at 16m and 21m, but my question is how do you know you'll get the gel you want? I would want Isogels not the regular type that are more viscous and heavy. Will there be people designated at each aid station to give out each separately?

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭lostinashford

Doubt it, they will be grappling whatever comes to hand at busy times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Lady on Liveline now talking about running the marathon with her 3 year old in a buggy, starting at the back. Not sure why she's on Liveline yet.
    Edit: It's because she's not being let now because of a rule change.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Lady on Liveline now talking about running the marathon with her 3 year old in a buggy, starting at the back. Not sure why she's on Liveline yet.
    Edit: It's because she's not being let now because of a rule change.

A 3 year old would be bored out of their heads stuck in a buggy for at least 4 hours!! And also heavy to push, not like a little 6 month old! Also unless the child is still in nappies there would be a few toilet breaks. Get a babysitter Missus!

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Joleigh wrote: »
    A 3 year old would be bored out of their heads stuck in a buggy for at least 4 hours!! And also heavy to push, not like a little 6 month old! Also unless the child is still in nappies there would be a few toilet breaks. Get a babysitter Missus!

hence she is on liveline!!
    was she doing it for charity??

bit daft if you ask me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Clearly against the rules and not great for other runners in a congested race like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

adrian522 wrote: »
    Clearly against the rules and not great for other runners in a congested race like this.

Didn't Gary Crossan push a buggy a few years ago? Not sure how I would feel if someone passed me while running with a buggy. I find it hard to deal with a runner passing me with a dog on a lead.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Never mind getting passed, getting my legs clipped by a buggy while running in a thick crowd is what would worry me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

amcgee wrote: »
    hence she is on liveline!!
    was she doing it for charity??

bit daft if you ask me.

Nah, she never mentioned charity, she just wanted to do it. She's done Parkruns and the likes with him before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Endurancer123

She's looking for attention, if you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Didn't Gary Crossan push a buggy a few years ago?

Sometimes it takes someone to do something in order to bring in a rule banning it.
    A few years ago a Lady won the kclub 10k with a black labrador on a lead. Next year it was explicitly stated that in the rules that no canines were allowed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Didn't Gary Crossan break 3hrs that time as well?

Did it not go down well with the powers that be then?

She contacted DCM and asked if it was possible and she was told yes. She then went about training for it. She has now found out that pushchairs are now banned. She was genuine enough about it, went to the trouble of checking the rules and so on.
    I can see why they are banned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    She contacted DCM and asked if it was possible and she was told yes. She then went about training for it. She has now found out that pushchairs are now banned. She was genuine enough about it, went to the trouble of checking the rules and so on.
    I can see why they are banned.

Interesting to compare buggy-pushers with wheelchair athletes though. Both wheeled vehicles steered by human hand. One starts ahead of everyone else and usually gets a round of applause from the able-bodied runners, the other goes at the back, or, as in this case, not at all.

I suppose what makes the difference, in most people's eyes, is that one is a necessity, and the other a choice, arguably a slightly indulgent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

menoscemo wrote: »
    Someone it takes something to do something in order to bring in a rule banning it.
    A few years ago a Lady won the donadea 10k with a black labrador on a lead. Next year it was explicitly stated that in the rules that no canines were allowed...

I bet the dog crossed the line first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

davedanon wrote: »
    Didn't Gary Crossan break 3hrs that time as well?

Did it not go down well with the powers that be then?

Think he did around 3:05. He was pacing last year ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Deffo wasn't donadea 10k..could be some other race in kildare

I made a hames of that post :(. Edited now

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

So went to register for DCM today and its closed!:eek: So does anyone have a number there not using?
    Also do you think I could do a good time, haven't really started training yet but sure with 3 weeks I can get a few runs in, longest so far is 2k without stopping:) so what would people here recommend?

<insert sarcasm smiley here>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭SeanPuddin

So went to register for DCM today and its closed!:eek: So does anyone have a number there not using?
    Also do you think I could do a good time, haven't really started training yet but sure with 3 weeks I can get a few runs in, longest so far is 2k without stopping:) so what would people here recommend?

<insert sarcasm smiley here>

This guy.. The Bishop of Banterbury himself :)

Advertisement