Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

SeanPuddin wrote: »
    This guy.. The Bishop of Banterbury himself :)

It was a long day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Think he did around 3:05. He was pacing last year ;)

Think that included a nappy change :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Nothing wrong with running it in a buggy but I am sorry you need to be doing a handy pace and not getting in the way. Having someone start at the back and do it in a buggy is a bit of a piss take. I know it sounds elitest but have a look at the congestion at 3 hours finish or 4 hours. Lots much room on the road at 3 hours. Longest I have gone with my buggy is 12 miles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

This month's Irish Runner is a decent read. Lots of tips and advice on Dublin marathon.

Some good interviews too including Gary O Hanlon and Tony Mangan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    This month's Irish Runner is a decent read. Lots of tips and advice on Dublin marathon. n.

Same as Irish Runner Sept 2013 issue so, and Sept 2012 issue, and Sept 2011 issue..... I'll stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

If it ain't broke........!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

eliwallach wrote: »
    Same as Irish Runner Sept 2013 issue so, and Sept 2012 issue, and Sept 2011 issue..... I'll stop now.

Well, the marathon does only come around once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

12-14,000 people signed up for Dublin marathon, what else would you write about?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

RayCun wrote: »
    12-14,000 people signed up for Dublin marathon, what else would you write about?

True.
    But you could just read last year's copy, oh but you might miss the latest Hannah Nolan article then :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

eliwallach wrote: »

No, this year's edition is particularly good :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

perhaps this has been discussed before but can someone familiar with the altered course tell me where the pulls are? Apart from Phoenix Park where else on the course do I need to keep something in the tank for?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭ooter

perhaps this has been discussed before but can someone familiar with the altered course tell me where the pulls are? Apart from Phoenix Park where else on the course do I need to keep something in the tank for?
    I ran the section from chapelizod to dolphins barn last Sunday and there's a couple of decent climbs along there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

ooter wrote: »
    I ran the section from chapelizod to dolphins barn last Sunday and there's a couple of decent climbs along there.

is that part of the 'altered' route? If not then I'd be vaguely familiar with it from my last DCM which was 9 years ago :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

No, this year's edition is particularly good :D

noticed that alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 eocarola

I would like to run the first half of the Marathon next week and the second half half of the marathon the following week one week out from the Marathon.

Is there groups running the course on a Sunday morning that I could run with.

Planning to run at a pace between 7.30 - 7.45 min mile would love the company as I am unsure of the course roads where are the hills what miles on the new course for 2014?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    This month's Irish Runner is a decent read. Lots of tips and advice on Dublin marathon.

Anyone know how reliable their subscription service is?

I stupidly signed up for an annual subscription over two months ago at the RnR Half expo. Other than seeing the charge to my credit card on the bill, I've seen nothing from them since then.

Even a rehash of standard story of Louth-postman-inspiring-community-to-scale-impossible-heights-of-marathon-achievement would be more welcome than total tumbleweeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

lads,
    what's it like to get car parking in one of the city car parks on the day of marathon?

I will be staying outside the city so would like to drive in and park up for the day but don't want to get stuck with no where to park...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Cona wrote: »
    lads,
    what's it like to get car parking in one of the city car parks on the day of marathon?

I will be staying outside the city so would like to drive in and park up for the day but don't want to get stuck with no where to park...

Dunno about parking, but if you're staying anywhere near the DART line, that would be a good option for getting into town in time for the start as there are special early trains laid on (usually a Sunday timetable operates on a bank holiday, but Irish Rail makes an exception for the marathon runners).

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭carlton36

geodesic wrote: »
    Anyone know how reliable their subscription service is?

I stupidly signed up for an annual subscription over two months ago at the RnR Half expo. Other than seeing the charge to my credit card on the bill, I've seen nothing from them since then.

Even a rehash of standard story of Louth-postman-inspiring-community-to-scale-impossible-heights-of-marathon-achievement would be more welcome than total tumbleweeds.

I've found it to be mixed.. I've missed a couple of issues or they got lost in the post in the last couple of years

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Hi! I posted this in another forum and they recommended I try the main thread. I'm looking for advice on a goal pace for Dublin.

I'll give a bit of background to help fill in the blanks and my splits from todays final long run/race rehearsal.

I've been running for about 3-4 years. Did the marathon last year following a novices plan and definitely hadn't enough base mileage in + stomach issues meant a bit of a nightmare for the last 6 miles. So far so familiar!
    Finished in 4:09 swearing I would never do another.....but was already planning DCM 2014 by that night.

I joined an athletics club straight after and kept training right through the winter so my mileage has been 25-40 miles per week right up until I started marathon training so really there was no problem adding the extra miles especially on 6 days a week. Yes I felt the long runs after but not anywhere like last year and I'm not exhausted and run-down like I was pre-taper this time last year. Up until the last few weeks when I got a bit paranoid I've been hiking or cycling on my days off!

I've taken ten minutes off my half-marathon time (now 1:44) and still feel that's a bit soft as I did it in Athlone in the heat and felt grand straight after.....I always associate pb efforts with foaming-at-the-mouth and eyes rolling back in your head. It was hard but mostly just because of the heat not the pace.

I've done two 16's, an 18, two 20's and a 21 (today)
    Each long run has been done on tired legs with a medium length (7-10miles) steady pace run the day before. Every second long run was done with a portion at or under PMP (I was doing my shorter 16 & 18 with 3:30 marathoners so they were done at about 8:30 average pace)
    My mileage peaked at 65miles.

Today's 21 miler was fairly typical. I started off quite slowly and let the pace drift faster towards the middle of the run. I then maintained this pace until the end or tried to up it on the last couple of miles if possible.
    My splits today were
    9:49
    9:46
    9:46
    9:03
    9:12
    9:20
    9:00
    9:23
    9:13
    8:47
    8:30
    8:38
    8:32
    8:26
    8:39
    8:19
    8:25
    8:21
    8:24
    8:22
    8:16

I realise these are a bit inconsistent but it's a hilly route and I tried to keep the effort even rather than the pace so I lost time on the uphills a bit and then relaxed into the downhills and made the time back without extra energy going into it.

Felt great through all this. Fueling went fine and stomach was grand.
    Based on this do you think going out at at 8:30 pace would be ok or is that just post run endorphins kicking in?

I realise I should probably just go the 8:47 I had started the plan at but it's going to be spring before I can do this again so don't want to be too conservative either.
    Help!!

• Advertisement

Run 8.47 for the first half
    Pick it up(if you can) to mile 20
    Pick it up again from 20 to the end

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

Anyone an elevation profile of this years course??

http://static.squarespace.com/static/519b4b82e4b04feb42ae4c0d/t/53f50d93e4b0da8664b03841/1408568723839/Profile%202014-Updated.pdf

Try again,
    Anyone the total elevation for this years course??
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Cona wrote: »
    lads,

I've parked in Royal College of Surgeons on 2 occasions and it was fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I've parked in Royal College of Surgeons on 2 occasions and it was fine.

All on street parking is free on a bank holiday as well . We always park just up from the four courts and walk up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

What will the buses be like on the morning? I'll be coming from Lucan direction.

Buses are very poor, bank holiday monday morning
    LUAS and DART are fine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

Casey78 wrote: »
    What will the buses be like on the morning? I'll be coming from Lucan direction.

That early tho? I would be tempted to just pay for a taxi if I were coming in from Lucan...You've been training for months for this race; why add the stress on race day? just pay ~€30 (?) and relax...?

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

LSR question for this weekend

I had planned on doing an 18 mile LSR this weekend - is that too much, in your experiences should it be pulled back to 14-15??

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Last of the long runs done yesterday with 22 miles. Just glad to get out the other end of the training with both legs still attached.......

Weather looks good for 27th......:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pudgeydev wrote: »
    LSR question for this weekend

I had planned on doing an 18 mile LSR this weekend - is that too much, in your experiences should it be pulled back to 14-15??

Really depends where you are coming from. What do your previous LSR look like?

Advertisement