Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Really depends where you are coming from. What do your previous LSR look like?

Fecked it up on my side - I miscalculated and forgot a week :confused:. Did 30k yesterday (The Human Race).

Last 4 weeks LSR have been 16, 17, 18 and yesterday 18.6miles.

Thought I'd have another week to get to the 20 miles but I'm guessing 20 miles at the weekend would be too much..

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

RayCun wrote: »
    Buses are very poor, bank holiday monday morning LUAS and DART are fine

I'm not so sure of this. I think the LUAS is fine, but the first DART from my local station (Harmonstown) on a Sunday is 9.15! I think that's the same for Bank Holiday Monday. As far as I remember last year an extra early DART was laid on from Greystones but not from the northside. I'd recommend if anyone is planning on using public transport to check the relevant company's website closer to the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Bugsy2000

Hatch Place, Earlsfort Terrace & Adelaide Road are all free parking right beside the start line (just west of the first corner). I arrived there at 8.55 last year, plenty of free spaces & still saw the start at 9.00. Left the car there till 9pm, no charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Fecked it up on my side - I miscalculated and forgot a week :confused:. Did 30k yesterday (The Human Race).

Last 4 weeks LSR have been 16, 17, 18 and yesterday 18.6miles.

Thought I'd have another week to get to the 20 miles but I'm guessing 20 miles at the weekend would be too much..

I wouldn't be completely against running 20 miles but at this stage something between 18-20 miles might be the prudent choice. There is more to lose than gain with the marathon quickly approaching. Listen to your body and don't just do it for the sake of it. You have a good base already looking at your long runs.

Usually people employ a two-week taper so after the long run this weekend the miles reduce. Some like 18-20, 15-17 and 13 miles for the long run should be about right during the next three weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭pudgeydev

Thanks Dublin_Runner...my body can be a lazy baxxtard so will probably tell me to call it quits after 15-16 :). I'll give the longer one a go anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

pudgeydev wrote: »
    Thanks Dublin_Runner...my body can be a lazy baxxtard so will probably tell me to call it quits after 15-16 :). I'll give the longer one a go anyway!

I know the feeling!

I think breaking the 20 miler in four 5 mile runs helps. Get to 5, get to 10 etc....:) It's all in the head. Maybe use it as a dry for the marathon. Practice your gel intake (if any) and use your race day gear.

After this week it's all about keeping sharp. The work is 99% done. You look well prepared so you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BBP3

Hey All,
    Long time lurker first time poster I hope training is going well for everyone.
    I’ve noticed in previous DCM’s some good club runners with Elite numbers (I think the numbers are yellow/Gold in colour) What is the benefit of having and elite number other than you get to start at the front?
    Maybe someone on here has availed of the elite start and knows the drill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

BBP3 wrote: »
    Hey All,
    Long time lurker first time poster I hope training is going well for everyone.
    I’ve noticed in previous DCM’s some good club runners with Elite numbers (I think the numbers are yellow/Gold in colour) What is the benefit of having and elite number other than you get to start at the front?
    Maybe someone on here has availed of the elite start and knows the drill

You get to start at the front and you get to use the warm-up area before the start.

OK, so what's the criteria to get an elite entry.
    Have u used the elite entry? Do u know where the warmup area is located.
    Was it of any benefit do ya think ?

Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

OK, so what's the criteria to get an elite entry.
    Have u used the elite entry? Do u know where the warmup area is located.
    Was it of any benefit do ya think ?

Thanks for the info

I think it makes a big difference. You have your own warmup area, your own toilets(so no massive queues) You can jump into the start of the race right up the front so no need to get to the start area ridiculously early, you have your own baggage facility aswell, so no finding the baggage area and then wlaking a mile back to the start. Less bodies around in general so its very relaxed.
    Im not sure what the official qualification criteria are for getting an elite number(or tag). But I think if you're capable of running under 2:40 you would be eligible for an elite tag, getting an elite number is a different ball game though. Best thing to do is to ask at the expo.

• Advertisement

tunguska wrote: »
    I think it makes a big difference. You have your own warmup area, your own toilets(so no massive queues) You can jump into the start of the race right up the front so no need to get to the start area ridiculously early, you have your own baggage facility aswell, so no finding the baggage area and then wlaking a mile back to the start. Less bodies around in general so its very relaxed.
    Im not sure what the official qualification criteria are for getting an elite number(or tag). But I think if you're capable of running under 2:40 you would be eligible for an elite tag, getting an elite number is a different ball game though. Best thing to do is to ask at the expo.

That's a lot of good reasons there I'll ask at the expo and see if they'll give me an elite tag as u put it. Won't be eligible for an elite number ever!

Thanks again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

That's a lot of good reasons there I'll ask at the expo and see if they'll give me an elite tag as u put it. Won't be eligible for an elite number ever!

Thanks again

What's your PB?

Thanks again

Just wanna say that this is speculation on my part. I mean Im not saying for 100% certainty that if you've run under 2:40 on a previous occasion that you'll definitley get an elite tag. But look all you can do is go to the help desk at the expo and ask, worst they can say is no.

pistol_75 wrote: »
    What's your PB?

2.37 but hopin to go one better this time out all goin well

Just wanna say that this is speculation on my part. I mean Im not saying for 100% certainty that if you've run under 2:40 on a previous occasion that you'll definitley get an elite tag. But look all you can do is go to the help desk at the expo and ask, worst they can say is no.

Ya for sure no harm in trying. I've seen lads with with them last year slower than 2.40 though

Ya for sure no harm in trying. I've seen lads with with them last year slower than 2.40 though

Yeah for sure, I've seen the same thing so that's why I'm saying Dont quote me on that.
    Actually now that I think of it there's no chance of getting an elite number simply because its too late and that ship has sailed. But if you've run 2:37 then you have a good chance at getting an elite tag. Its definitely worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Last year some kind soul had a cool spreadsheet that you could plug in your target pace and it would show where you would end up on the course at each time. Handy for supporters out and about.

Don't suppose anyone has one for the new course?

Yeah for sure, I've seen the same thing so that's why I'm saying Dont quote me on that.
    Actually now that I think of it there's no chance of getting an elite number simply because its too late and that ship has sailed. But if you've run 2:37 then you have a good chance at getting an elite tag. Its definitely worth it though.

I'll give it a lash. Thanks again

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZJb81V05sKdDVtWmFhbXoyRG9TdU9lTXB5S05PZlE&usp=drive_web#gid=76

Try there, plug in your target time and it gives ETA according to what wave you start in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Cheers looks like the supporters time guide sheet there. Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Qualification for male elite numbers is sub 2:35 for the full or sub 72:30 for the half. Master athletes are different. Normally, any master athlete who made the top 3 in his / her category last year, would qualify for an elite number.
    For women, its sub 3:00 or sub 85 minutes for the half.
    There is some flexibility on this.
    Send in a cv to office@dublinmarathon.ie if you think you deserve one.
    There is no difference between an elite number and an elite tag.
    New system this year means that you are only allocated your number when you arrive at the registration desk. If you want an elite number, send your cv in to that email address. If you are nowhere near the times, please don't waste anyones time having to reply negatively to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

Whatever happened to motor bikes in big city marathons? Looks much better to have 2 or 3 bikes around the athlete rather than a push bike that goes unnoticed from the crowd. Everyone knows she is important in this video due to the entourage.

Another one for ya (Alan Partridge camera 2 awesomeness) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NftOHoFVYuA#t=198

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

adrian522 wrote: »
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgZJb81V05sKdDVtWmFhbXoyRG9TdU9lTXB5S05PZlE&usp=drive_web#gid=76

Try there, plug in your target time and it gives ETA according to what wave you start in.

Seemed to have a gotten a bit broken there...fixed the number formats so it works again. nice work.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

crisco10 wrote: »
    Seemed to have a gotten a bit broken there...fixed the number formats so it works again. nice work.

I can't take credit for it, I think it was laois man who put it together.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

adrian522 wrote: »
    I can't take credit for it, I think it was laois man who put it together.

It was actually me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Don't like jumping in on the thread, but as we have just gotten married, neither myself or my husband are doing DCM this year (first time neither of us have done it in 5 years and we're feeling really left out!), so to still feel part of the action, we're offering to put people up in our house the night before the marathon on AirBnB. Being on these threads previous years, I've seen how hard it can be for people to get suitable accommodation the night before, so as we do Airbnb anyway, thought we'd put a call out to marathon participants.
    Don't want to post the link, but do a search for Kilmainham (our house is just beside the 10 mile marker), and you can find us. We'll drop you to the start line, and give you whatever you want for breakfast! Our location is really handy if you have spectators (especially kids) with you.
    There's tonnes of other really good value places still available on AirBnB too if anyone is having trouble finding somewhere or has the usual issues with hotels and late breakfasts/ early checkouts!

rom wrote: »
    Whatever happened to motor bikes in big city marathons? Looks much better to have 2 or 3 bikes around the athlete rather than a push bike that goes unnoticed from the crowd. Everyone knows she is important in this video due to the entourage.

Another one for ya (Alan Partridge camera 2 awesomeness) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NftOHoFVYuA#t=198

My God 1985....Great video. George "Danger here" Hamilton and Jimmy "Different class" magee......would be great to have that kind of media coverage again. In fairness though theres a car for the lead men/women plus the bikes so its easy enough to notice them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

My God 1985....Great video. George "Danger here" Hamilton and Jimmy "Different class" magee......would be great to have that kind of media coverage again. In fairness though theres a car for the lead men/women plus the bikes so its easy enough to notice them.

True but there is something about this that makes it look cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bit on the windy side yet, could do with a light SE in a perfect world...
    Marathon_Monday_weather.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

19 days out and the weather forecast madness has started already! :eek:

Advertisement