Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Hi,
    I'm thinking of walking the Dublin Half marathon on Saturday 20th September. Just wondering if anybody can give a first timer so tips or general advice?

I'm coming from Waterford so I was thinking of staying in the Castleknock hotel, is that far from the starting line (Chesterfield Avenue) in Pheonix Park?

Also how long should it take me to complete the course walking at a brisk pace?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I'm thinking of walking the Dublin Half marathon on Saturday 20th September. Just wondering if anybody can give a first timer so tips or general advice?

I'm coming from Waterford so I was thinking of staying in the Castleknock hotel, is that far from the starting line (Chesterfield Avenue) in Pheonix Park?

Maybe contact Drogheda and District Athletics club- they could be very helpful with some tips for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Hi,

I've never walked a race so don't have any tips. There might be a walking website somewhere on the web.
    I'd say you should complete it in well under 3 hours maybe a lot faster depending of course on how fast a walker you are! I used to brisk walk at a pace of well under 14 min miles so that'd be under 3 hours. It all depends. . If you're a race walker then of course that's a different story..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Hi,

That hotel would be the guts of an hour walk from the starting line. If you stay anywhere near the Luas red line, you can get to Heuston station easily and there's a shuttle bus that runs from there to the start line.

A "brisk pace" is pretty subjective. Have you walked any known distances in known times yet?

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Omarscoming

Hi,

The Ashling Hotel is beside the Parkgate Street entrance to the Phoenix Park

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

7.5 hours is terribly generous, no? I've seen lots of marathons with 6 hours or so. Besides the above-mentioned Heffernan, what would be a good time for a half serious (hippy/tree-hugging/'Nordic') walker to complete 26 miles?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Would u say dat to rod heffernan

He actually started behind the 4 hr 30 min pacers one year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

My Dad walked the marathon in 2011. He trained the same as a runner would, just went by time as opposed to distance in his training to build up an endurance. He actually became quite a fast walker too.

Ended up finishing in a little over 6 hours, so about 9min/km pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

Just wondering do you have to run the Dublin City marathon or do some people walk/fast walk it?
    How long would it take one to walk it?

I'd love to do it as a lifetime aim but wouldn't be able to run it.
    I'm a decent Walker who would cover 22km a day.
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Hi, welcome , ignore the attention seeker and best of luck .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Oops69 wrote: »
    Hi, welcome , ignore the attention seeker and best of luck .

Hahahahahahah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Jasis some craic here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

28064212 wrote: »
    That hotel would be the guts of an hour walk from the starting line. If you stay anywhere near the Luas red line, you can get to Heuston station easily and there's a shuttle bus that runs from there to the start line.

I wouldn't have said it's that far. If you go into the Park through White's Gate, it's only about two miles from the start line.

That said, an extra four miles on top of the half marathon might not be the best idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

blockic wrote: »
    Jasis some craic here!

+1

As the saying goes, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and everyone thinks everyone else's stinks!

TbL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

We're looking for pacers for the Dublin Marathon over on the private Boards Pacer Forum (PM one of the AR mods for access, and thank you to them for their help, as ever). 3 pacers per band, pacing criteria below:

3:00 (Having recently ran sub 2:48)

3:10 (Having recently ran sub 2:55)

3:20 (Having recently ran sub 3:00)

3:30 (Having recently ran sub 3:06)

3:40 (Having recently ran sub 3:14)

3:50 (Having recently ran sub 3:22)

4:00 (Having recently ran sub 3:30)

4:10 (Having recently ran sub 3:39)

4:20 (Having recently ran sub 3:48)

4:30 (Having recently run sub 4:00)

4:40 (Having recently run sub 4:05)

4:50 (Having recently run sub 4:10)

5:00 (Having recently run sub 4:15)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

New route has been announced. They say the changes are minor but I would see them as significant enough. No O'Connell St or Nth Circular Road along with the absence of College Green as was already known.

Course

Any other significant changes? Not completely au fait with the south side portion. 'Heartbreak Hill :P' looks to come a little later in the route than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Interesting. Means a nice flat start for the first few miles, I suppose, although the thought of running the length of Chesterfield is a bit meh. I like the idea of not having to run around Trinity at the end though.

As people may or may not be aware, the pacers for the Dublin Marathon are organised each year through this forum. We have about 28 signed up so far, and are looking for another 12 or so. PM one of the mods here for access to the Private Pacers forum which has a load of details and discussion about what is required :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

I PMed a Mod asking about access, but didn't get a reply (maybe emailed one I shouldn't have?).

Anyway, I'd be interested in being a 4:30 or 4:45 pacer if ones are needed.

I PMed a Mod asking about access, but didn't get a reply (maybe emailed one I shouldn't have?).

Anyway, I'd be interested in being a 4:30 or 4:45 pacer if ones are needed.

Cheers, I'm sure one will get back to you soon. In the meantime, you can PM me the following info (that goes for anyone else interested too):

Name:
    Address:
    DOB:
    Mobile:
    email:
    Club (if any):
    Recent marathon pb (time and date):
    Pacing history:
    What is the slowest you are willing to pace?:
    Will you attend the pacers meal the night before the race? (Y/N):
    Shared hotel room needed for non-Dubs (specify 1 or 2 nights)?:
    Are you available to pace the Half Marathon 20th Sept? (Y/N):
    Singlet/shorts size:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

I am thinking of staying in the Castleknock hotel for the marathon, how easy would it be to get to the startline for the morning? how long should I leave myself? Will the roads be closed that soon before race start as looking at google maps I would have to cross a lot of the route. The wife will be dropping me in the car. I stayed in City centre last year but herself wants to stay there because of the pool!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

the road closures will be different this year because of the changed route. You should be able to drive all the way into town along the north quays. Don't know what time the roads through the park will close but you should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

RayCun wrote: »
    the road closures will be different this year because of the changed route. You should be able to drive all the way into town along the north quays. Don't know what time the roads through the park will close but you should be grand

thanks for the reply Ray, I know its a little early yet to be asking these questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

After a weekend where initially I thought my marathon training was going to be scuppered by a long term lingering injury (Saturday) to the highs of running a nice 18 miles yesterday I've decided to continue that high this morning and have just entered for this marathon.

Nine years since I've done a marathon, and it was Dublin back then too, let the serious training begin (crossing fingers and toes) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

I am trying to enter a group of about 10 runners from an Athletics Club to this year's Dublin City Marathon.
    Does anyone know how to enter a Group and what is the discounted race entry per athlete if I enter by end July ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Entry fee goes up from €75 to €85 at 12.01 am on Friday so this week is a good time to commit to doing this marathon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Depends.

Is it worth spending an extra €10 to hang on and see how training goes rather than losing €75 due to injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Yep, I agree with nerraw1111,
    I am gonna try to do my first full Marathon (age 42) this year but I am struggling with a nagging knee strain (think it is my back or hip that is the problem), going to see the Physio on Wednesday to straighten me out. Did a HM a month ago in under 1:50, so really feel that this is the year that I push on do a full Marathon, injuries allowing. So it looks like €85 for me, plus a €55 Physio bill ;-).

Incidently, speaking with a friend of mine, a veteran of 7+ Marathons he felt that I was not doing enough short runs, so I have to go back to basics and build up a bit of strength before hammering myself on the 'long' runs.

See you all at the start line!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

But on the flip side, the motivation you get from signing up is hard to beat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 DixNeuf

A little surprised at the route change. Something to do with the Luas works I presume?

Unlike davedanon I'll miss College Green at the end, I've found that getting to the end of Pearse st. and coming around onto college green the crowd gets nice and compact and then once you rounded the corner Nassau street nearly carried you home.

No O'Connell St. is a bit of a pity too, especially for people that travel to Dublin from overseas for the run. Cutting out pretty much all of the landmarks from the route apart from the glorious park. I suppose you get a slice of the quays instead, a stretch of the river, Ha'penny bridge and all that.

Can't wait now.

Advertisement