Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Kop On wrote: »
    If that's what gets them through the race them fair play to them.

Same goes for water belt/ non water belt. What works for some people doesn't for others but there is no right or wrong answer to what you should or shouldn't eat or wear.

Wear the clothes or gear you've worn during the LSR's and eat similarly.

No I Dont agree with that. I might wear a hat, jacket and gloves on a long run but there's no way I'd do that for the race itself.
    You gotta be smart and practical on the day, everything you need is out there provided for you en route, there's no need for lots of gear even if you've worn it all in training. On the day of the race the name of the game is minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Rantan wrote: »
    Sorry kop on - I don't agree with you...for my first couple of DCM's I went overboard with pockets & bottles full of "stuff" which ultimately is readily available on course. You really only need gels to carry with you IMO. If you look at the effort required to carry extra weight in "stuff" and the potential impact on your time you would prob change your mind. its funny how people spend months trainnig to loose weight and train hard for the race and then think nothing of replacing that weight in water bottles etc!
    Also I think its worth bearing in mind that during LSR's you are training whereas on the day you are racing(or should be trying to any way...) so you don't have to recreate exact LSR conditions..OK, for your first one its diferent where you need to learn how your body copes etc.

Everyone is different so as I already said what works for some won’t work for others. However the way some people are talking you’d swear a few gels, jelly babies and 400ml of water weighed the same as a sand bag. If someone’s performance on a run, no matter how long, is that badly affected by a water belt and some gels/jellies then maybe they’re not ready for it regardless.

I know the Marathon and LSRs are run at a different pace, but when I compared them, I meant that the LSR should have been used as a practice run for the clothing to wear (chafing etc), hydration and food to take on board for the DCM. I just don’t agree with anyone saying you “should do this” and “you shouldn’t do that” … Do whatever suits you and don’t worry about what others are doing, they’ll have their own reasons for it. (Not aimed at your personally, just my opinion having read the last two pages of posts).

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

It makes some sense to carry water on a long run, if you need a drink and won't be stopping at a shop/car/stash/your house to get some.
    But why would you carry your own water bottles in the marathon when there is water all over the course? All you are doing is making things harder for yourself. Sure, only 400g harder, but still, why do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

RayCun wrote: »
    It makes some sense to carry water on a long run, if you need a drink and won't be stopping at a shop/car/stash/your house to get some.
    But why would you carry your own water bottles in the marathon when there is water all over the course? All you are doing is making things harder for yourself. Sure, only 400g harder, but still, why do it?

I ran with 'someone' last year who carried about 2L of water in their camel bak around the whole course, only to ignore it the whole race and take the water from the tables...
    I'll never understand you Micilin Muc!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Everyone is different so as I already said what works for some won’t work for others. However the way some people are talking you’d swear a few gels, jelly babies and 400ml of water weighed the same as a sand bag. If someone’s performance on a run, no matter how long, is that badly affected by a water belt and some gels/jellies then maybe they’re not ready for it regardless.

I know the Marathon and LSRs are run at a different pace, but when I compared them, I meant that the LSR should have been used as a practice run for the clothing to wear (chafing etc), hydration and food to take on board for the DCM. I just don’t agree with anyone saying you “should do this” and “you shouldn’t do that” … Do whatever suits you and don’t worry about what others are doing, they’ll have their own reasons for it. (Not aimed at your personally, just my opinion having read the last two pages of posts).

My first marathon i used a fuel belt with a sport drink in it, biggest waste of effort ever, everything is there for u on the course.

Can understand carrying gels, thats fair enough, if the gels work, thats another thing for another day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Can understand carrying gels, thats fair enough, if the gels work, thats another thing for another day.

:D
    I'm with you on that!!

Tunguska - Did I see from your comments earlier you might also be a gel sceptic?

• Registered Users Posts: 49 locombia

What if you've trained with something else other than water of pure Lucozade?? I've trained with diluted Lucozade and a nuun tablet and carried it in one of those hand held bottle thingys. I tend to only drink half of it (taking a sip at every mile once I've passed 3-4 mile mark) while running and half of it is gulped down as soon as I finish running. So for race day I plan on filling it up half way and discarding the bottle at about mile 18-19 to free up my arms for the last push...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

yaboya1 wrote: »
    I remember the pacers I followed in DCM 2010 (3:30) handing out bottles after the station going up Chesterfield Avenue. Funnily enough, I think you may have been one of them?

:) Indeed

Personally I think it's stupid to weigh yourself down with extra stuff (it doesn't have to be the weight of a sand bag. You'll feel every extra gram after the 20 mile marker) that is provided anyway, but if someone insists on bringing their own water/gels/whatever then I for sure am not going to stop them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

locombia wrote: »
    What if you've trained with something else other than water of pure Lucozade?? I've trained with diluted Lucozade and a nuun tablet and carried it in one of those hand held bottle thingys. I tend to only drink half of it (taking a sip at every mile once I've passed 3-4 mile mark) while running and half of it is gulped down as soon as I finish running. So for race day I plan on filling it up half way and discarding the bottle at about mile 18-19 to free up my arms for the last push...

I carried a hand-held water bottle all the way until about 22 miles last year and it was no problem whatsoever. If it suits you then go with it. I knew I didn't need anything more at 22 miles so just discarded it.

belcarra wrote: »
    :D
    I'm with you on that!!

Tunguska - Did I see from your comments earlier you might also be a gel sceptic?

I've never been convinced about them alright. I train on empty and it works really well for a lot of reasons. Having said that I took 2 gels during the marathon last year, one at 16miles and another at 22 miles but honestly I think they were unnecessary and this year I'm gonna go without and just drink water along the route.

• Advertisement

locombia wrote: »

Thats what you trained on, then dont change it.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

I had a water belt for my 1st DCM , 4 bottles were filled with a water and gels mixture.....gawk....even the though of that now is hard on the stomach.
    This is how I got my drink on those long training runs so I thought this is how it must be on race day.
    I remember flinging the bottles away one by one when they emptied, I even flung the belt over some poor feckers hedge at about 22 miles and I remember the relief of getting rid of the yolk, such a pain in the ass.
    You do learn as you go with these marathons by experimenting with what works for you, unfortunately you usually learn the hard way.

There is some really good advice on this forum from experienced runners which can save you a lot of that hardship.

I would suggest that carrying plain water on your person is daft. Plenty of water available on the course, getting enough water wont be an issue.
    Carry as little on your person as you can on race day and enjoy the freedom of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    I remember flinging the bottles away one by one when they emptied, I even flung the belt over some poor feckers hedge at about 22 miles and I remember the relief of getting rid of the yolk, such a pain in the ass.

Another piece of advice for runners highlighted above.. DO NOT throw bottles/ gel packets as far as possible over hedges, into rivers etc when disposing of them. I was sickened by this carry on last year. Throw them in bins or in areas where they will be easily noticed and picked up close to the water stations.

Respect the surroundings

Also maybe include a small newsagent in on ur run and drop in their for a drink!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

EauRouge79 wrote: »
    and I remember the relief of getting rid of the yolk

You brought eggs as well???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

davedanon wrote: »
    You brought eggs as well???

Need that good ol protein!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

blockic wrote: »
    Another piece of advice for runners highlighted above.. DO NOT throw bottles/ gel packets as far as possible over hedges, into rivers etc when disposing of them. I was sickened by this carry on last year. Throw them in bins or in areas where they will be easily noticed and picked up close to the water stations.

Respect the surroundings

Amen Blockic....should have stuck a comment discouraging this carry on at the end of my post.
    (Probably exagerated the fact that it actually landed in a garden for dramatic effect!......)

The good people of Dublin always make this such a great event and goes without saying that we should leave again without a trace.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

I am an average runner who has to train hard to get average results. I have learned after only 6 years running that for most people there absolutely is a right way and a wrong way to train and race. There are common threads that apply to most people with slight deviations here and there but from my experience by and large the same rules apply. With regards to the amount of fluid needed - historically I have brought water with me on all my LSR, reducing it in recent training to 2 x 180mm bottles which is enough, for one of my last 20m I had forgotten to rinse my bottles before I put the water in so had two bottles full of soapy water which tasted like petrol and was undrinkable so I took one or two sips at around mile 16 and 18 and came home alive and perfectly hydrated and it made no difference at all. And yes if your busting a gut to try and get a PB by a few seconds and have trained your a**e off (be it for a 2.30 or 4.30 PB) any little way to lighten the load and help get those few seconds should be considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Rantan wrote: »
    I am an average runner who has to train hard to get average results. I have learned after only 6 years running that for most people there absolutely is a right way and a wrong way to train and race. There are common threads that apply to most people with slight deviations here and there but from my experience by and large the same rules apply. With regards to the amount of fluid needed - historically I have brought water with me on all my LSR, reducing it in recent training to 2 x 180mm bottles which is enough, for one of my last 20m I had forgotten to rinse my bottles before I put the water in so had two bottles full of soapy water which tasted like petrol and was undrinkable so I took one or two sips at around mile 16 and 18 and came home alive and perfectly hydrated and it made no difference at all. And yes if your busting a gut to try and get a PB by a few seconds and have trained your a**e off (be it for a 2.30 or 4.30 PB) any little way to lighten the load and help get those few seconds should be considered.

I am an average runner too and I need my 'comfort blanket' water belt. I have used it as a build up to my first DCM and will take it on the journey for the day....it has served me well and it deserves the day out as much as I do !! :D:D

I think there's a bit of defensiveness going on here and its just not necessary. Nobody is holding a gun to the first timers heads and ordering them not to wear a waterbelt or whatever. Its up to the individual to decide. All the more experienced guys are trying to do is to give you a heads up. There's some great lessons being relayed by people who've been there and carried all the gear and found it to be a nuisance more than a help. I think the fact that so many of the experienced people are saying the same thing is really significant.
    It seems to boil down to fear and people being worried about not being able to get water on the day or not getting specific drinks/gels. But that's just allowing fear to take you over and not listen to some really great advice.
    Like I said its up to the individual to decide what they do on the day, all anyone is saying is to be practical and senisble and to not make decisions based on fear or insecurity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The reason people bring water on their LSR's is because they don't have water stations available to them during those training runs.
    In the DCM, there are water stations every 5k (approx) so no need to bring water.
    Simple really ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

color-marathoner-web.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Murph_D wrote: »
    The Modern Marathoner

"Run Cam" :) ... I love it!

Where can I get one? ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Surely he wouldn't be drinking something as "last century" as water. A bit of half lucozade, half water with a salt tablet thrown in would probably be more like it,

4 days into my taper and it's already began. The taper madness!!

seeing technique flaws that never bothered me all year. Weather, weather and weather. I'm about one step away from hanging fish on the washing line for a forecast.

Watching an endless amount of cheesy inspirational videos, I have now realised that no matter how many times I watch them videos, Pre is still and always going to finish 4th even with Coldplay playing in the background.

I accidentally bought gels with caffeine in them and that is playing on my mind, I won't need the bloody caffeine if my head keeps going around in circles like this. I could barely tell the difference between warm milk and caffeine right now.

feeling the constant need to vent and irritable all the time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

They can't predict weather accurately more than four days out anyway, so there's no point in fretting until the 24th at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

davedanon wrote: »
    They can't predict weather accurately more than four days out anyway, so there's no point in fretting until the 24th at least.

So glad someone finally pointed this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Back to belts. :P

I have worn a belt on each of my previous 3 marathons. It has a water bottle and a few gels there. However in the bottle is some dioralyte. I always find it helps replace the lost salts.

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    Back to belts. :P

I have worn a belt on each of my previous 3 marathons. It has a water bottle and a few gels there. However in the bottle is some dioralyte. I always find it helps replace the lost salts.

Whatever works for you. I'm thinking of taking salt tabs this year because I started to cramp in the last 2 miles last year for you. Not a real fan of belts though, the flapping and restriction and even chaffing makes it a no go for me.

I'd be contradicting myself by wearing a belt after buying 6oz shoes. I know a lot of people don't have this option but I give one of the lads a carb drink and a gel or two to hand out to me at some point along the route. I will use the same gels in training as the DCM is using in the race.

Other than that, I just use the water stops every 5k. That is a perfect distance to be taking on fluids. I think it's always best to recreate the race in training.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

RayCun wrote: »

Here are my reasons, but I have only one marathon and a 50k in my legs so I am not an expert...

I prefer to carry my own drink (600mls) on a belt of half orange juice half water with added salt. The belt also contains my home made gels.

I also use the water stations. My own drink contains a little energy and minerals, which helps. It means I am not worried if I miss a water station because it is too busy I can concentrate on my running.

I don't have to slow down as much too to pick up a drink.
    I can avoid an entire water station and all the other runners if there are many.

Also I find it very difficult to drink properly out of cup while running (bottles are fine obviously).

I can also use a water station to cool myself with the water rather than drinking it. It also encourages me to drink more than I would otherwise which I personally need to do to achieve my best.

Finally I can drink whenever I want rather than when the water stations appear: I don't have to worry, I can relax and do my race.

I can also stuff gels in my water belt.

On the downside it means carrying about 0.7kg extra at the start of the race, 0.4kg towards the middle and 0.1kg at the end. That's about the only negative as I am used to run with it on my LSRs.

The vast majority of runners don't seem to do it, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives so I do it.

Advertisement