Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FOXFISH1

Is it possible to collect the race pack on the morning of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

FOXFISH1 wrote: »
    Is it possible to collect the race pack on the morning of the race?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

On the subject of energy gels etc, I'm actually thinking I won't be bothering with them during the race. I've managed fine on water and a bit of lucozade here and there, is anyone else not taking any?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Jay D wrote: »
    On the subject of energy gels etc, I'm actually thinking I won't be bothering with them during the race. I've managed fine on water and a bit of lucozade here and there, is anyone else not taking any?

I won't be taking any but ive been training on empty for a good while now so its suits me and I know I'll be grand. I Dont want to tell you not to use gels, only you know your body and your athletic background. But having said that its all about experimenting and taking leaps of faith..... just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Im certainly on the fence..for a few of my long runs this year I either forgot or just didn't have any gels in stock and didn't notice any difference what so ever without them. For the 20m runs I would normally take a couple but I think its as much a placebo for me as opposed to making any discernible difference. Sometimes I think I like to have "something nice" in the back pocket for those times when the head drops so for DCM I'll take a couple of hi-5s and try and grab one or two on the course if I need.. I like taking jellies from kids(that sounds weird...) on course as it can help take me out of my head and I feel its a good way to interact with the people who bothered to come out and support.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Rantan wrote: »
    Im certainly on the fence..for a few of my long runs this year I either forgot or just didn't have any gels in stock and didn't notice any difference what so ever without them. For the 20m runs I would normally take a couple but I think its as much a placebo for me as opposed to making any discernible difference. Sometimes I think I like to have "something nice" in the back pocket for those times when the head drops so for DCM I'll take a couple of hi-5s and try and grab one or two on the course if I need.. I like taking jellies from kids(that sounds weird...) on course as it can help take me out of my head and I feel its a good way to interact with the people who bothered to come out and support.

One year at DCM my missus was out on the course, around the walkinstown roundy as per usual. This time she brought some stuff, unbeknownst to me, so suddently into my hands was thrust A) a banana, and B) a ****ing Twix, ffs. I'm afraid I threw a little domestic-style strop over my shoulder at her: "I don't ****ing want this", I shouted, and flung the Twix back in her general direction. I had to apologise afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

echancrure wrote: »
    Here are my reasons, but I have only one marathon and a 50k in my legs so I am not an expert...

I prefer to carry my own drink (600mls) on a belt of half orange juice half water with added salt. The belt also contains my home made gels.

I also use the water stations. My own drink contains a little energy and minerals, which helps. It means I am not worried if I miss a water station because it is too busy I can concentrate on my running.

I don't have to slow down as much too to pick up a drink.
    I can avoid an entire water station and all the other runners if there are many.

Also I find it very difficult to drink properly out of cup while running (bottles are fine obviously).

I can also use a water station to cool myself with the water rather than drinking it. It also encourages me to drink more than I would otherwise which I personally need to do to achieve my best.

Finally I can drink whenever I want rather than when the water stations appear: I don't have to worry, I can relax and do my race.

I can also stuff gels in my water belt.

On the downside it means carrying about 0.7kg extra at the start of the race, 0.4kg towards the middle and 0.1kg at the end. That's about the only negative as I am used to run with it on my LSRs.

The vast majority of runners don't seem to do it, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives so I do it.

Last time I did Dublin it had bottles.
    You will slow down more getting a drink out of your belt and back in, than taking it off a person.
    Amount hydration you need for marathon, is done the day before, what you drink during the race should not be much.

God, these boards so need bringing into the 21st century, in so many different ways. I saw an interview with the new Chief exec or whatever in the Times a while back. He's got his work cut out. Sorry, off topic.

Carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I saw a stat during the week saying that the new water charges would reduce the amount of runners using belts and camel packs by 48.3%*

*May be completely made up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I'm not racing (just jogging it around) but I won't be taking any gels.
    Even when I race marathons I don't take gels either.

It's an odd one because while I agree with the theory of taking on carbs in the race to replenish those lost, I have never felt that they did anything at all for me.
    In fact the sh1tty, gooey residue left on your hands and lips allied with the feeling it leaves in my stomach afterwards usually results in me slowing down even more post-gel consumption.

If you have anybody available to offer you anything on course then my tip is orange segments.
    They are very tasty at a time when your mouth is browned off with the bland water, and they offer some quick release sugars to give you a jolt of energy.
    Plus they're natural!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Jay D wrote: »

If you haven't taken them before, don't start taking them during the race. They don't agree with everyone.

That's a general rule by the way.
    If you haven't worn those runners before on long runs, don't wear them in the race.
    If you haven't worn those clothes on long runs, don't wear them in the race.
    If you haven't run with a gel belt or arm band before, don't start on marathon day.
    Breakfast on marathon day should be whatever breakfast you usually have before a long run. Don't switch to porridge or boiled eggs or whatever because someone else said they were good.

belcarra wrote: »
    I'm not racing (just jogging it around) but I won't be taking any gels.
    Even when I race marathons I don't take gels either.

It's an odd one because while I agree with the theory of taking on carbs in the race to replenish those lost, I have never felt that they did anything at all for me.
    In fact the sh1tty, gooey residue left on your hands and lips allied with the feeling it leaves in my stomach afterwards usually results in me slowing down even more post-gel consumption.

If you have anybody available to offer you anything on course then my tip is orange segments.
    They are very tasty at a time when your mouth is browned off with the bland water, and they offer some quick release sugars to give you a jolt of energy.
    Plus they're natural!

Sugar is sugar. Orange segments are FAR too fiddly. where would you keep them? A tupperware box? A squeeze or two from a sports drink bottle is the man.

echancrure wrote: »
    I prefer to carry my own drink (600mls) on a belt of half orange juice half water with added salt. The belt also contains my home made gels.

If that's what makes you comfortable, then sure, by all means continue.
    But I think you are doing yourself no favours by building up this psychological dependency on having your own particular mix of stuff that you have to run with.
    Maybe in your next training cycle you could experiment with just running on water (and possibly gels) so that in your next marathon you don't have to bring all this baggage with you? After all, if you have gels, you don't need orange juice and salt mixed with your water

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

when i ran limerick, i took 6 gels in my pockets, i used them every 5 miles with water and crossed the line with enough enery to run for another 10 miles.

when i ran cork, i used high 5, and took them too late, and they made no differance, if you use gels, plan to use them correctly, they wont magically give you a new lease of energy when you have nothing left, when i crossed the finish line in cork i collapsed with energy exhaustion but if you take them properly, they will defo help, if you take them too late your wasting your time

i will be bring my own gels and use them in the same manner.
    I was watching the great scottish run last sunday and noticed that the runners only take a sip out of the bottle and then throw it away...i suppose they are professional athletes who are well nourished.

me on the otherhand tend to take bottles from the water stations and hold them until the next water station, i always seem to be carrying a bottle in my hand crossing the line..thats just me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

davedanon wrote: »
    Sugar is sugar. Orange segments are FAR too fiddly. where would you keep them? A tupperware box? A squeeze or two from a sports drink bottle is the man.

I think you may have missed my fundamental point about the orange segments there Dave!

I think you may have missed my fundamental point about the orange segments there Dave!

Oops. Serves me right for skim-reading posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

amcgee wrote: »
    when i ran limerick, i took 6 gels in my pockets, i used them every 5 miles with water and crossed the line with enough enery to run for another 10 miles.

when i ran cork, i used high 5, and took them too late, and they made no differance, if you use gels, plan to use them correctly, they wont magically give you a new lease of energy when you have nothing left, when i crossed the finish line in cork i collapsed with energy exhaustion but if you take them properly, they will defo help, if you take them too late your wasting your time

i will be bring my own gels and use them in the same manner.
    I was watching the great scottish run last sunday and noticed that the runners only take a sip out of the bottle and then throw it away...i suppose they are professional athletes who are well nourished.

me on the otherhand tend to take bottles from the water stations and hold them until the next water station, i always seem to be carrying a bottle in my hand crossing the line..thats just me
    This is a good post, the gels or any other energy needs to be consumed in the correct manner. Taking a gel/energy drink when you have already bonked is of minimal benefit. The best method is to take some energy drink 15 mins before the race then take a gel/drink early in the race 5k/10k and at regular intervals thereafter. Ive ran a lot of marathons a lot of different ways and I now believe a proper fuelling plan is the one of the most important elements of a successful marathon. Fuel economy can be improved significantly by proper training but what ever way you approach it if you dont refuel you are running on empty after 90-120 mins, depending on the person.I have ran good solid marathons taking on nothing at all, not even water but I now believe that fuelling is almost as as important as training. As always its just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

You will slow down more getting a drink out of your belt and back in, than taking it off a person.

I know for a fact I wouldn't. Mine is on my hip so I don't even need to look down to unhook it and pop it back in. The hours on my LSRs have made it so.
    Amount hydration you need for marathon, is done the day before, what you drink during the race should not be much.

Specifically how many Ml should someone take on board the day before a marathon and during the marathon so?

I don't expect an answer to that question, but go back to my original point in this thread that everyone is different. There is no one answer that fits everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

How strict are they about photoghraphic id for picking the race pack? One of the lads I run with has none. :confused:
    He is hoping that his passport comes before the 26th.

Kop On wrote: »
    I know for a fact I wouldn't. Mine is on my hip so I don't even need to look down to unhook it and pop it back in. The hours on my LSRs have made it so.

Specifically how many Ml should someone take on board the day before a marathon and during the marathon so?

I don't expect an answer to that question, but go back to my original point in this thread that everyone is different. There is no one answer that fits everyone.

In fairness the answer to your question, is you should know, you have to hydrate yourself the day before, its not something you do on the day!

The tip i got from a friend who is a sub 2:30 marathon runner, on the day before ensure you have a bottle of water in your hands at all time till 8pm. Just sip out of it all day and refill as needs be!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

The tip i got from a friend who is a sub 2:30 marathon runner, on the day before ensure you have a bottle of water in your hands at all time till 8pm. Just sip out of it all day and refill as needs be!

...and don't carry one when heading to the start, or you'll continuously sip out due to nerves of it despite not needing any further hydration and will need to stop to pee within the first few miles.

Picking up from a theme earlier. Does anyone know what services Irish Rail are running on the morning of the marathon? I vaguely recall them running a train from Drogheda/Dundalk in previous year but can't find any mention of it online. Trying to get in from Lusk without relying on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

RayCun wrote: »
    If that's what makes you comfortable, then sure, by all means continue.

I think that's the point, in my small experience it does work for me, and that's what I do in my LSRs so that's another reason not to change.

I just find it strange that the general advice is don't run with your own liquid during your marathon even if you have trained with it during your LSRs.

And by the way, like Kop On, I can take my bottle, drink from it and put it back with my eyes closed: definitely no slowing down at all.
    But I think you are doing yourself no favours by building up this psychological dependency on having your own particular mix of stuff that you have to run with.
    Maybe in your next training cycle you could experiment with just running on water (and possibly gels) so that in your next marathon you don't have to bring all this baggage with you? After all, if you have gels, you don't need orange juice and salt mixed with your water

Agreed: I am all for experimenting to see what works for me; not just on my second marathon that I have prepared for 12 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

The tip i got from a friend who is a sub 2:30 marathon runner

... Great!

At last an advice that is surely applicable to all of us...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

This watergate thing is getting ridiculous and is starting to consume a couple of threads.

If you'd rather wear a belt and would be more comfortable with one then do so.

If you're happy to rely on the 100,000 small bottles of water on the course then great, you won't have a problem.

Wearing a belt or not will not really influence the outcome either way so can we please stop talking about f|_|cking water.

new topic:
    The importance of running lots and lots of miles in training. Lots and lots and lots of miles :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

More importantly....where's the dreaded prediction table?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

new topic:
    The importance of running lots and lots of miles in training. Lots and lots and lots of miles :D

And not Kilometres because they are for losers (and triathletes/french people)

new topic:

I dont know Ray, there is theories running less is better:eek:

menoscemo wrote: »
    And not Kilometres because they are for losers (and triathletes/french people)

The only trouble with kilometres is you have to run even more of them!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭crisco10

The only trouble with kilometres is you have to run even more of them!

This very thought process almost caused me to change my garmin settings before the longer LSRs. Almost. :-)

Advertisement