Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

Peckham wrote: »
    ...and don't carry one when heading to the start, or you'll continuously sip out due to nerves of it despite not needing any further hydration and will need to stop to pee within the first few miles.

but you could use the bottle for something else while waiting on the start line. For blokes anyway.

Just warn people to watch out for golden showers as you dispose of it

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

menoscemo wrote: »
    And not Kilometres because they are for losers (and triathletes/french people)

Miles are for Yanks, English and 80s throwbacks! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Miles are for Yanks, English and 80s throwbacks! :p

I read somewhere joggers jog in kilometers and runners run in miles!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    How strict are they about photoghraphic id for picking the race pack? One of the lads I run with has none. :confused:
    He is hoping that his passport comes before the 26th.
    Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

different hydration question, probably done to death before...

what approach to people take to booze consumption in the final couple of weeks?

Do most people go dry completely, have one or two within reason or no change?
    And what is general opinions on the pros/cons thereof?

Im trying to be good and stay off it but Im just curious as to how the knowledgeable folk here approach the issue??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

How strict are they about photoghraphic id for picking the race pack? One of the lads I run with has none. :confused:

Never been asked for mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Anyone?

last year when I was getting mine I collected a pack for a mate of mine who couldn't make it on the day..I think technically they are not supposed to do it but the woman at my stand was nice about it, I had my passport and an e-mail from my mate and she had no problem - there was a guy at the next desk trying to do the same thing but he was refused...he was being a bit of a di*k in the first place about something and being a little aggressive so didn't help himself..

not sure if that's any help to you at all..!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Gavlor wrote: »
    This watergate thing is getting ridiculous and is starting to consume a couple of threads.

If you'd rather wear a belt and would be more comfortable with one then do so.

If your happy to rely on the 100,000 small bottles of water on the course then great, you won't have a problem.

Wearing a belt or not will not really influence the outcome either way so can we please stop talking about f|_|cking water.

Haha. That is all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

I was refused my number last year because I didn't bring ID. I was sent into an office for verification and had to give my date of birth and address etc.

It took about 10 minutes for them to verify it and I was given my bib.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

A question on intensity levels during the taper. I will be doing a few marathon pace efforts over the last two weeks,. 8@ MP next week and 8 with 4@ MP the last week.

I also have one long interval session next Thursday which is 3x2 miles with 3 minutes recovery which I usually do at tempo pace, Would it be a better option to do this session at MP? or should I keep it as a threshold interval to maintain sharpness?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

I offered them my drivers license last year, and they declined to even look at it.

Usual Irish thing: ah shure, you're grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

I forgot my id last year and they never asked for it

I guess the answer re the ID is don't be a dick to the volunteers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

A question on intensity levels during the taper. I will be doing a few marathon pace efforts over the last two weeks,. 8@ MP next week and 8 with 4@ MP the last week.

I also have one long interval session next Thursday which is 3x2 miles with 3 minutes recovery which I usually do at tempo pace, Would it be a better option to do this session at MP? or should I keep it as a threshold interval to maintain sharpness?

Most would say taper should be a reduction in miles but not intensity. I'd be doing them at the same intensity I have before now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭freethearmy

1st marathon...were is the best/handiest parking for the day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Rantan wrote: »
    different hydration question, probably done to death before...

what approach to people take to booze consumption in the final couple of weeks?

Do most people go dry completely, have one or two within reason or no change?
    And what is general opinions on the pros/cons thereof?

Im trying to be good and stay off it but Im just curious as to how the knowledgeable folk here approach the issue??

Its actually not talked about a lot really. Alcohol is a very touchy subject......I gave it up myself a few years ago and personally I found it made a big difference. I know a few others who gave up booze even for just a few months, the length of their training cycle, and they reported that it made a significant difference. Even just the weight loss by itself could improve your efficiency and performance. I just think its a no brainer to knock it on the head, at least for the duration of a training cycle, but definitely leave it be between now and the marathon, the break you give your liver would be worth the price of admission alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I personally don't think alcohol has much affect on training if taken in moderation like any other treat. I gave it up for my first marathon and didn't find much of a difference, if anything I think it added to the pressure of the day. I find nothing better than sitting down with a cold ale after a hard session and I don't see the benefit of denying myself that once or twice as week - as long as it's just the one. For the last couple of marathons I've just trained as if I'm training for anything else, it's just another race, well maybe a little longer. From my limited experience the absolute priority is training hard and not kidding yourself when it comes to that. Then you've got the diet, keep it clean while still being able to enjoy your food and drink in moderation, then there's no reason why you can't be successful. I've found a good balance and this works for me but this is a forum and that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Re alcohol, I don't take running seriously enough to sacrifice a few beers every week. But it's definitely a case of each to their own.

I'd generally stay off the sauce for 3-4 weeks before a marathon.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I cut it down to once a week for the majority of the training cycle, Saturday night usually with Sunday being a rest day. A few fairly heavy sessions too.

Decided to go off it completely for the last few weeks to see if it makes any difference, there's a lot of temptation about, and I did have one red ale last Sunday night but I reckon that will be it until (immediately) after the race.

I know this has probably been answered before but I have had a look and can't find it. :o

I have had a look at the route map with elevation etc. Can some local let me know between which miles the toughest inclines are?

Thanks a million in advance a nervous runner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Plodman

I know this has probably been answered before but I have had a look and can't find it. :o

I have had a look at the route map with elevation etc. Can some local let me know between which miles the toughest inclines are?

I believe it's between mile 4-7. Gradual incline for a lot of the way but good to get it out of the way early. Stops a nervous runner going out too hard

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

http://static.squarespace.com/static/519b4b82e4b04feb42ae4c0d/t/53f50d93e4b0da8664b03841/1408568723839/Profile%202014-Updated.pdf

The first 10k is gradually uphill. Negative splitting Dublin does make sence based on profile alone and the fast finish. You should be holding back till 33.82k and be planning to run the last 8 ish k as if its a race in it self. It just gets faster and faster. It will be much more enjoyable to be passing people then rather than walking which many are. Last time I did Dublin no one passed me from RTE to the finish. I was holding back until this point. I passed someone I knew at RTE and took 7 mins off him from there to the finish and I was running with him up till half way but I I needed a pitstop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

The hill out of Chapelizod is arguably the worst incline you tackle, but because it's early in the race it's not that noticeable. The good news is the mountain over the Grand Canal in Mile 25 has been removed this year :)

Plodman wrote: »
    I believe it's between mile 4-7. Gradual incline for a lot of the way but good to get it out of the way early. Stops a nervous runner going out too hard

That sounds perfect then. Thanks.
    My LSR has a good climb at about the same stage so that should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

jebuz wrote: »
    I find nothing better than sitting down with a cold ale after a hard session and I don't see the benefit of denying myself that once or twice as week - as long as it's just the one.

How European :D. I am a typical Irish man. It's all or nothing! I'd love to have your approach but having just one beer is worse for me. Once I get the taste.....(It sound like I have a problem or something :))

I haven't had a drink in over a month. It works for me but I don't think it completely necessary. Each to their own.

Now, once more. Where's the dreaded prediction table?

rom wrote: »
    http://static.squarespace.com/static/519b4b82e4b04feb42ae4c0d/t/53f50d93e4b0da8664b03841/1408568723839/Profile%202014-Updated.pdf

The first 10k is gradually uphill. Negative splitting Dublin does make sence based on profile alone and the fast finish. You should be holding back till 33.82k and be planning to run the last 8 ish k as if its a race in it self. It just gets faster and faster. It will be much more enjoyable to be passing people then rather than walking which many are. Last time I did Dublin no one passed me from RTE to the finish. I was holding back until this point. I passed someone I knew at RTE and took 7 mins off him from there to the finish and I was running with him up till half way but I I needed a pitstop.
    Thanks for that. I will definitely be trying to hold something in reserve for the last 8k. Hoping to be at half way in 1.50 and finish for 3.45. So going by this it should be grand.:D:pac:

yaboya1 wrote: »
    The hill out of Chapelizod is arguably the worst incline you tackle, but because it's early in the race it's not that noticeable. The good news is the mountain over the Grand Canal in Mile 25 has been removed this year :)

I last did Dublin in 2009 and have obviously blanked mile 25 out of my memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

The hill at Chapelizod is by far the worst but as mentioned, it's early so it won't be too bad. With that said, the fact that the worst hill is early people take it too fast. Some people who struggle in the later parts will have taken that hill too quickly and won't put two and two together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Now, once more. Where's the dreaded prediction table?

Here you go:

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    ? |yaboya1|2:59:11|TBC|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    ? |yaboya1|2:59:11|TBC|
    |Tunguska|2:38:40|2:38:39

Ive no idea how the emoticon got into my post........I ****ing hate emoticons

Advertisement