Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

DixNeuf wrote: »
    Unlike davedanon I'll miss College Green at the end, I've found that getting to the end of Pearse st. and coming around onto college green the crowd gets nice and compact and then once you rounded the corner Nassau street nearly carried you home.
    Agreed and as the new finish line is away from the shoppers, you won't get the support from random people just out shopping.

Also, is it a good thing that Roebuck Road (heartbreak hill, please no debate over it being a hill) is later on in the race? I don't know. On the one hand, I'll be more tired by the time I get to it, but less to do afterwards. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shane1981

fletch wrote: »

Also, is it a good thing that Roebuck Road (heartbreak hill, please no debate over it being a hill) is later on in the race? I don't know. On the one hand, I'll be more tired by the time I get to it, but less to do afterwards. :confused:

Id rather get over it it sooner rather than later but Im more worried about the drag up chesterfield avenue. Struggled with pace after this stretch in the Rock and Roll last year.

I've done a quick course in garmin connect for an idea of elevation: http://connect.garmin.com/course/7435396#

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

Redtop , there is no group entry allowed in the marathon as far as I am aware. Everyone has to enter themselves. There is certainly no discount for groups.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    As people may or may not be aware, the pacers for the Dublin Marathon are organised each year through this forum. We have about 28 signed up so far, and are looking for another 12 or so. PM one of the mods here for access to the Private Pacers forum which has a load of details and discussion about what is required :)

Thanks for everyone's interest- we have a full list of pacers now, along with subs (and a further waiting list).

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    Thanks for everyone's interest- we have a full list of pacers now, along with subs (and a further waiting list).

Can you post the list of 3:30 pacers so I can bribe them to carry me over the finish line at the end....

Seriously though, I'm still grateful for last years 3:50 pacers. I was with them from the very start to the finish and they were fantastic. It was so good not having to worry about times etc, just stick with them - very supportive bunch.

Thanks in advance to all this years pacers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭hawkwing

polaris68 wrote: »
    Entry fee goes up from €75 to €85 at 12.01 am on Friday so this week is a good time to commit to doing this marathon!

Just signed up today before the extra €10,i used to always sign on the last day of July but last year left it until the end of September for may reasons and paid the full. Done now so time to step up the mileage:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Can't get into the registration page!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Bahanaman wrote: »

Trying for the past hour and no joy :'(

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Same here. Annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

And me. So frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭fletch

From their Facebook page
    "Our entry system is down at present. It has been reported to Eventmaster and it's planned to have it back online soon. We have extended the 75 euro entry price until tomorrow morning so don't worry you will not loose out on the price change."

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Sara2002

fletch wrote: »
    From their Facebook page
    "Our entry system is down at present. It has been reported to Eventmaster and it's planned to have it back online soon. We have extended the 75 euro entry price until tomorrow morning so don't worry you will not loose out on the price change."
    Will try again in the morning so!

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

Signed up on Thursday:D On the acceptance slip,doesnt appear to show race number this year and cant seem to find an entrants list either:confused: Anyone any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Signed up on Thursday:D On the acceptance slip,doesnt appear to show race number this year and cant seem to find an entrants list either:confused: Anyone any ideas?

You'll be assigned your number when you go to registration in the RDS.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭quick feet

I also signed up last Thursday, received my confirmation e-mail and also in the process bought the run coach package.. Do u receive this in the post or is it purely an on-line programme? It's my first marathon so would like something structured to follow

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vrun14

Hi I had to contact Runcoach direct to activate my membership.

Can I ask if anyone has done last years half marathon in the Phoenix Park and Ray Darcy's half marathon? Which was the toughest route?

Currently training for my first full marathon and I'm following the running plan on the DCM website, I found Runcoach didn't suit me as you need to update your runs/activities on a daily basis which I'm not into!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Don't think the Phoenix Park run is too tough, really. Can't compare it to the Ray D'Arcy one, didn't do that.

Here's my run from it last year; http://connect.garmin.com/activity/379982638

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

shane1981 wrote: »
    I've done a quick course in garmin connect for an idea of elevation: http://connect.garmin.com/course/7435396#

9 feet after elevation at 3.03 miles, rising to 234 feet after the following 4 miles??? :eek:

And people call the other puney yoke "Heartbreak Hill"???

No way is that right!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,205 ✭✭✭crisco10

Laois_Man wrote: »
    9 feet after elevation at 3.03 miles, rising to 234 feet after the following 4 miles??? :eek:

And people call the other puney yoke "Heartbreak Hill"???

No way is that right!

Positioning is very important. I agree that Roebuck hill is very harshly judged but I imagine anything after 20 miles just hurts ten fold.

A friend of mine did it last year and he said the worst hill was the tiny hill up to the canal bridge in the final mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

crisco10 wrote: »
    A friend of mine did it last year and he said the worst hill was the tiny hill up to the canal bridge in the final mile.

That's what I thought the only time I ever ran this race (2010). Felt like climbing a mountain at that stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

But the elevations on the above map couldn't be right.........could they?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Laois_Man wrote: »
    But the elevations on the above map couldn't be right.........could they?

Looks about right. They've taken out the canal bridge we're talking about because of the change of finishing area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

yaboya1 wrote: »
    Looks about right. They've taken out the canal bridge we're talking about because of the change of finishing area.

Profile here:

http://static.squarespace.com/static/519b4b82e4b04feb42ae4c0d/t/53cedfd6e4b0b3f5a4fbcebe/1406066646682/Profile%202014.pdf

Miles 22 to 25 are mostly downhill and last mile is pretty fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Interesting to note that the highest point is in Castleknock after running the length of Chesterfield Avenue. However, at that relatively early stage it shouldn't have too much impact....should it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

crisco10 wrote: »

+1 To this. I was clinging on at that stage and it felt like a mountain. People always make way too much out of hills. If you approach them right then you will be fine!

Dublin has a fast finish. Stretches of downhill like Nutley Lane and Fosters Avenue actually make the second half faster than the first in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Might try out the new route as a long run at some stage in the next few weeks. Will be sure to post up a garmin of it afterwards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I've run most of the route on my long runs this year except for maybe the first 2 and last 2 or 3 miles. It is a bit of a drag going the whole way from the south quay's by parliament street (merchant Quay I think) all the way up to the park, the whole way up Chesterfield avenue through the castleknock gate and then up to college road.

That section is predominantly uphill and pretty much straight the whole way. About 4 miles in total.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

adrian522 wrote: »
    I've run most of the route on my long runs this year except for maybe the first 2 and last 2 or 3 miles. It is a bit of a drag going the whole way from the south quay's by parliament street (merchant Quay I think) all the way up to the park, the whole way up Chesterfield avenue through the castleknock gate and then up to college road.

That section is predominantly uphill and pretty much straight the whole way. About 4 miles in total.

Not what I want to hear just after a track session where I got a bit of a dart in the hamstring!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vrun14

What other training are people doing apart from running alone? Is anyone else cycling/swimming/gaelic training too? Is it ok on days when I do one of the above activities that I don't run too?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Is quirkyback already

Advertisement