Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

adrian522 wrote: »
    Another reminder email from DCM, another attachment that I MUST PRINT AND SIGN. This time different to the last one, at least with a space for the signature.

Haven't got a single email yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Haven't got a single email yet.

check your spam folder
    and check that you're listed here
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014

RayCun wrote: »
    check your spam folder
    and check that you're listed here
    http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014

Thanks, Found the email.

How do you use that tracker, activate it with your FB account and then share the link?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Thanks, Found the email.

How do you use that tracker, activate it with your FB account and then share the link?
    It does not need to be accessed via facebook.

Just click on the link and enter the name etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭npresto

Just Tweeted Irish Rail about DART service on morning of the Marathon

No early DART being laid on from the Northside of Dublin.

https://twitter.com/IrishRail/status/523050242112253952

• Advertisement

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    It does not need to be accessed via facebook.

If you sign into it though, does it post on either FB or Twitter?
    Probably at 10k, half, 30k and the finish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

Yeah, you get notifications through twitter and Facebook if you want. Last years splits were 10k, half and 20m. Not sure where the splits are this year though.

Edit: forgot the most important split: the finish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Yes you can set it so that is posts on your page as you pass these timing mats.

There was an interesting discussion of cramps back on ecoli's log a few months back, dna_leri linked to this article
    http://sweatscience.com/muscle-cramps-risk-factors-tapering-stretching-and-pacing/
    Schwellnus and his colleagues have just published a new study online at the British Journal of Sports Medicine — a prospective study of 49 runners at the 2009 56K Two Oceans marathon. And it produced some very interesting results. Twenty of the runners reported cramps during or within six hours after the race, compared to 29 non-crampers. The two groups were statistically identical in many important respects: age, weight, height, BMI, sex, training history, recent and all-time personal best times, finishing times during the race. But they differed in a few key areas:
    Pacing: Even though the two groups had similar best times and similar pre-race goals, the group that ended up cramping split the halfway mark 13 minutes faster than the non-crampers on average (144 minutes versus 157 minutes).
    Tapering: In the three days prior to the race, the crampers trained 1.1 hours on average, while the non-crampers trained 0.6 hours on average. This despite the fact that the non-crampers actually did marginally more training overall in the final week (31.8 km versus 26.5 km).
    Muscle damage: Perhaps related to the inadequate taper, the eventual crampers had higher levels of creatine kinase before the race, indicating the presence of muscle damage. They were also more likely to report soreness in their hamstrings.
    Stretching: 92.9% of the crampers reported stretching before exercise, while just 54.6% of the non-crampers reported stretching. Of course, this could simply be because those prone to cramp are more likely to stretch. - See more at: http://sweatscience.com/muscle-cramps-risk-factors-tapering-stretching-and-pacing/#sthash.Nccz2HfU.dpuf

What I take away from that is that a lot of cramping comes from people just trying to outrun their fitness. And training too much in the last few days is a killer.
    (and they could be related - people over-reaching and trying to cram in training)

from a link at that link
    several studies comparing cramp-prone Ironman triathletes with their non-cramp-prone peers by researchers at the University of Cape Town have found that that hydration and electrolyte levels in the two groups are almost indistinguishable before and after the race. And a forthcoming study from the Brigham Young group forced volunteers to exercise until they lost 3 per cent of their body mass through sweat, and found no change in their susceptibility to electrically stimulated cramps.

The neuromuscular-cramp theory was first proposed in 1997 by University of Cape Town sports physician and researcher Martin Schwellnus to explain simple observations such as the fact that the muscles affected are usually those that have been working hardest.

"If it's a systemic problem like dehydration, then why doesn't the whole body cramp?" he asks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

adrian522 wrote: »
    Another reminder email from DCM, another attachment that I MUST PRINT AND SIGN. This time different to the last one, at least with a space for the signature.

Guys, for those of you like myself who got the email 2 days ago, printed a few copies off and stored them in the gym bag, car etc. just in case ;), the PDF under the link has changed.

We need to do it all again, the old PDF must have been mistakenly left there when they sent it originally, and they have changed it since.

Re-print, sign and re-store everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

Guys, for those of you like myself who got the email 2 days ago, printed a few copies off and stored them in the gym bag, car etc. just in case ;), the PDF under the link has changed.

We need to do it all again, the old PDF must have been mistakenly left there when they sent it originally, and they have changed it since.

Re-print, sign and re-store everyone.

did everyone get a second email? I got the first one but nothing since..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

A question on number collection...
    I may not be able to get up to the expo to collect my number. Can someone else collect it on my behalf if I give them the signed slip and my photo id ?

Thanks

scargill wrote: »
    A question on number collection...
    I may not be able to get up to the expo to collect my number. Can someone else collect it on my behalf if I give them the signed slip and my photo id ?

Thanks

and a signed permission letter

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

Firedance wrote: »

I didn't get the second one yet

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Firedance wrote: »

That's the thing, I haven't gotten a second email, but if you use the same link that you got in the first email, it goes to the new PDF that you need to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭scargill

RayCun wrote: »
    and a signed permission letter

Thanks RayCun - so just need to write a note saying I give Mr.X permission to collect my number on my behalf ?

scargill wrote: »
    Thanks RayCun - so just need to write a note saying I give Mr.X permission to collect my number on my behalf ?

That's my understanding, haven't done it personally

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

watched the video for the first time last night - personally I love it and have watched them over the years, if nothing else it engages me with the race and helps build the anticipation and contributes to the whole visualisation element of race preparation,

I wonder does the bike cop do a 3 or 2 week taper In the run up to the vid and does he take water with him....??

• Registered Users Posts: 27 JohnnyDun

That's the thing, I haven't gotten a second email, but if you use the same link that you got in the first email, it goes to the new PDF that you need to sign.

nice one, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

Sounds like a plan. Might see you on the road on the day. I am going with 3:30 pacing group and see how i feel out of the park and halfway before i contemplate speeding up at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Is it now officially ok to start panicking about the weather? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

Tetney wrote: »
    Sounds like a plan. Might see you on the road on the day. I am going with 3:30 pacing group and see how i feel out of the park and halfway before i contemplate speeding up at all.

Planning the same!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Is it now officially ok to start panicking about the weather? :eek:

No! Keep calm and, er, keep calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For everyone hating the taper. This is the most important part of your training cycle. The recovery phase. You will not loss fitness but rather your body will adapt to the training stress that it has been placed under for the last 16-24 weeks. So take the foot of the gas and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

Wind has died down and rain has stopped briefly. Time to head out for a few miles before it starts back at it again.
    Last tempo before the big day but may replace threshold miles with MP miles depending on how the legs feel. It seems to be a complete lottery at the moment as to whether runs will feel effortless or complete muck!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Barley35

Does anyone have the total elevation gain in feet of the new course??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Busy this morning, I'll have to go out later. 12 easy miles on the schedule for tomorrow morning. Looking back at last year, I see I did nearly 13 at this juncture, @ 7.45 min/mile pace. Why did I do that?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Been lurking in this thread for the last few weeks figured I should say something. Last double digit run this morning with a 12 mile lsr. Best luck to all on the day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Barley35 wrote: »
    Does anyone have the total elevation gain in feet of the new course??

I can't post links, so go to Dublin marathon website go to Course, elevation profile is available there as a link.

Advertisement