Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Where are the best spots on the course for atmosphere for spectators? The finish is an obvious one but might take in a few different spots. Also how easy will it be to get from one point to another? I assume Dublin Bus will be pretty much shut down for the morning.

A couple of KM's before the finish line to me is where the best atmosphere is and where I will want my family.
    You can really see the struggle on some people to get to the finish and the crowd are roaring at you, some runners (me included) really feed off that.
    It nearly brought a tear to my eye all the shouts of encouragement coming into town last year. I was in bits and it kept me going.
    If ever I can't run the DCM i'll be there, returning the favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I have had problems pooing on long runs and have shat more times in the park than the average deer! Haven't taken Imodium during training
    Imodium side-effects: Dizziness, drowsiness, tiredness, or constipation may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, contact your doctor promptly.

Stop taking this medication and seek immediate medical attention if any of these unlikely but serious side effects occur: severe constipation/nausea/vomiting, stomach/abdominal pain, uncomfortable fullness of the stomach/abdomen.
    You don't know how it's going to effect you while you're running, because you haven't tried it. Any of the above side-effects could happen, and be exacerbated by running.
    I've had minor chaffing on the inside leg on some long runs, but didn't bother with Vaseline. Haven't run 26 miles flat out though so it may be a different story.
    What if the Vaseline makes your skin more sensitive (not that uncommon)? Again, you don't know whether it will or not, because you haven't used it
    Bought a singlet the other day (not worn one before) which I haven't used on a long run (I know)
    Why are you changing things with 5 days to go? Do what you did for your long training runs up until now.

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

RayCun wrote: »
    Go before the race

Running brings it on. I'm going to do it as it's better than having to stop for 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Running brings it on.

If there's nothing in your colon (?) at the start line, there's nothing to come out during the race

If there's nothing in your colon (?) at the start line, there's nothing to come out during the race

It's a nerves thing I think. I think I'll have emptied before the run then it will come on during the run. I think it's connected with really relaxing into the run once I've got started. Everything then relaxes, including the bowels.

Appreciate the warnings. I'll bring an Imodium in my pocket and will down one pre or mid race at the first sign of rumblings. It's supposed to work within about 15 mins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

It's a nerves thing I think. I think I'll have emptied before the run then it will come on during the run. I think it's connected with really relaxing into the run once I've got started. Everything then relaxes, including the bowels.

Appreciate the warnings. I'll bring an Imodium in my pocket and will down one pre or mid race at the first sign of rumblings. It's supposed to work within about 15 mins.

I have no advice regarding the pollyfiller but definitely go with the vaseline.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭RubyK

Are they the last 3 digits on your barcode by any chance?
    I don't seem to have any race number on my slip. I presume as usual it will be assigned when I go in but I wonder does the barcode contain it?

There was a no. was quoted on the reminder email sent on Wed 15th Oct. It's not actually printed on the acceptance slip though, so I don't know if it's your actual race number or not.

Here's a quote taken from the email I have "You must PRINT, SIGN and bring the attachment of this email to the registration area at the R.D.S. Main Hall, Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 on Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th October from 11am - 6pm. B]Number] [2xxx[/B "

RubyK wrote: »
    Here's a quote taken from the email I have "You must PRINT, SIGN and bring the attachment of this email to the registration area at the R.D.S. Main Hall, Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 on Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th October from 11am - 6pm. B]Number] [2xxx[/B "

My mail says

"You must PRINT, SIGN and bring the attachment of this email to the registration area at the R.D.S. Main Hall, Merrion Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4 on Saturday 25th or Sunday 26th October from 11am - 6pm. [Number] Please click here to download your confirmation"

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

Nerves gives you the runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

I'm no Doctor but apparently the blood travels to your rectum area when running this is what puts the pressure on the sphincter.....

• Advertisement

Do you guys set your watch up for lap pace or average pace during the marathon?

I normally just go with the lap pace but one of the guys I run with reckons that for a marathon it should be average pace. However I don’t know over what distance my watch averages the pace. Can anyone shed any light for me?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

I set mine up for both....lap pace and then I've another screen I can flick to which has overall/average pace....I then set up Virtual Partner with the pace required to finish at my desired finish time so I know at any stage where I am in relation to my desired finish time....sounds complicated but it's not

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

For Races I go with the following:

1. Distance
    2. Elapsed Time(Total)
    3. Lap Pace
    4. Average Pace(total)

fletch wrote: »
    I set mine up for both....lap pace and then I've another screen I can flick to which has overall pace....I then set up Virtual Partner with the pace required to finish at my desired finish time so I know at any stage where I am in relation to my desired finish time....sounds complicated but it's not
    I'm going to have to try and do that over the weekend.

My watch is a garmin 220, hopefully it can be set up like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,627 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Tyrone_03 wrote: »
    Do you guys set your watch up for lap pace or average pace during the marathon?

I normally just go with the lap pace but one of the guys I run with reckons that for a marathon it should be average pace. However I don’t know over what distance my watch averages the pace. Can anyone shed any light for me?

Thanks
    Time Elapsed. And a pace band. Your watch will almost certainly show a distance greater than 26.22 at the end, quite possibly up to 27. If you run at the pace recommended by your Garmin, you could easily be a minute or two out at the end

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

28064212 wrote: »
    Time Elapsed. And a pace band. Your watch will almost certainly show a distance greater than 26.22 at the end, quite possibly up to 27. If you run at the pace recommended by your Garmin, you could easily be a minute or two out at the end

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

+1. The distance on your garmin is irrelevant as it's the mile markers that determine the distance.
    There is honestly no point showing lap pace (assuming 1mile/1Km?) as the variance over any particular mile or Km is too great. No point worrying that you are going a little too slow when you are going uphill into the wind or going a little too fast in the opposite scenario.
    So overall pace is good or else set up lap pace to every 5k/3miles or so. With the Garmin 220 you can set up to 4 different screens and toggle through them with the arrow buttons on the bottom left of the screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

27 miles would be quite extreme, at least in my experience. I've done Dublin the last 5 years and it's never gone over 26.4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

davedanon wrote: »
    27 miles would be quite extreme, at least in my experience. I've done Dublin the last 5 years and it's never gone over 26.4

Point remains that its best to have a stop watch and a pace band rather than rely on a GPS watch. They will all invariably go over 26.2 miles.

Point remains that its best to have a stop watch and a pace band rather than rely on a GPS watch. They will all invariably go over 26.2 miles.

Made and taken. One would rather have them reading a bit long than short though, eh?

• Advertisement

Time elapsed and average pace for me, I get lap pace at the end of each lap

Time elapsed and average pace for me, I get lap pace at the end of each lap

I like to have
    1. Average pace
    2. Lap (current mile) pace
    3. Elapsed time
    4. Total distance

However, distance covered will be fairly useless during the marathon due to the mile markers on the course.

I get what you're all saying about the pace inaccuracies. Personally, I think current mile pace will be the most relevant as my pace at any particular time will hopefully be dictated by the terrain. Thus, it will be good to have current mile pace info on the hills to make sure you're not going too hard and the reverse for easier sections. I will use my pace band and mile markers as my average pace calculator as this will be the most accurate.

Why average pace will send you wrong -If you pace yourself exactly on your garmin average pace then yes, you will not hit the finish line on time. Looking back at my half marathon, my garmin time for 13.1 miles was 30sec quicker than chip time as I ended up running a bit more than 13.2 miles. By the way, I've a footpod in addition to GPS which makes it very accurate so the reason I ran more was because I didn't keep to the measured racing line (ie the line the bike took when they officially measured the course). A 30sec difference over the half equates to a minute for the full marathon (at least). Therefore if you use garmin average pace I think you should use a pace that's at least 1 second per mile quicker then the pace you need for your preferred finish time. Ideally it should be 2sec/mile faster, just to be sure. This should safely see your chip time under your target finish time.

Either way, if you do use garmin average pace for most of the race you should definitely switch to pace band and mile markers on the downhill last 4 miles. If you are behind on the mile marker splits then you at least have 4 miles to make it up at this stage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Anybody going to be using the good old 'listen to your body' technique?!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Nah! My plan is to stare at my watch for the entire race and at the end complain that the course is short/long!!

Running is a simple sport. So simple people tend to over-complicate it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Garmin ain't perfect but I'd still wear it just for the instant feedback rather than waiting for the mile markers. I'd like to know if I'm going much too fast or much too slow. I've used it for Half Marathons and other races and while it is never perfect it is a good aid I think.

Obviously I'd still wear a pace band but not going to be checking it at every mile marker, that's what you pacers are there for.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭dintbo

Dubgal72 wrote: »

Yup! Even though it almost always lies to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

This is my first marathon that I will use a Gamin. The previous four I used a simple pace band and a 12 euro Casio stopwatch. That's all you need. I am using the Garmin to keep record this time around.

Listen to your body and find a group. If you are well trained you should know your marathon effort.

You can be loaded with all the latest gizmos but you can't get around the fact that all you really have is your two legs. Just run, pace sensibly and most importantly, enjoy yourself!

On my Garmin 210, which is generally a pretty good machine, the current pace is nevertheless hopelessly inaccurate. It varies wildly in response to, well, God knows what, but presumably it's an overreaction to quite slight fluctuations in pace. I think I'll be setting mine to average pace, and using it as a general guide, along with the mile markers. This year also, I might take a pace band and actually refer to the damn thing on the day.

• Advertisement

Current pace is very hit and miss alright, lap pace seems a lot more consistent for your "current" pace.

Advertisement