Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Vrun14

"Quirkyback?" I'm lost!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Anyone interested in being part of a scientific project?
    Could be a bit of fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just a quick question re pacers.
    I am running for one of the designated charities and will be entitled to something called gold entry. I was told on another thread on the forum that this means I can move up to the start of wave 1.( I registered for wave 2)
    I'm hoping for a 4 hr time and was planning to follow a pacer,but I presume the 4hr pacers will be somewhere in wave 2? Will there be any 4hr or other pacers for people with gold entry?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Casey78 wrote: »
    I am running for one of the designated charities and will be entitled to something called gold entry. I was told on another thread on the forum that this means I can move up to the start of wave 1.( I registered for wave 2)
    I'm hoping for a 4 hr time and was planning to follow a pacer,but I presume the 4hr pacers will be somewhere in wave 2? Will there be any 4hr or other pacers for people with gold entry?

No, there will only be one set of pacers.
    And you are better off starting in the right place, with people running at your pace, rather than surrounded by people going much faster. You will run too fast at the start.
    And everyone else will be better off if you start at the right place and they don't have to run around you.

Gold entry. ffs

• Advertisement

^^^ Yeah take heed of what Ray's saying casey. You could ruin your first marathon by going out too fast at the start. A really bad idea...

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Just signed up yesterday for my first Marathon!! I am an ex Footballer, running for about 6-7 years now and my times are, 10k in 48 - 50 mins, HM 1:49 and I seem to be able to run at a 5:30 per Kilometer pace comfortably during my build up runs. Would sub 4 hours (3:59:59) be a realistic target or am I way off and should settle for more around 4:30??

Any thoughts??

RayCun wrote: »
    No, there will only be one set of pacers.
    And you are better off starting in the right place, with people running at your pace, rather than surrounded by people going much faster. You will run too fast at the start.

Ok thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Takestan

smashiner wrote: »
    Just signed up yesterday for my first Marathon!! I am an ex Footballer, running for about 6-7 years now and my times are, 10k in 48 - 50 mins, HM 1:49 and I seem to be able to run at a 5:30 per Kilometer pace comfortably during my build up runs. Would sub 4 hours (3:59:59) be a realistic target or am I way off and should settle for more around 4:30??

Any thoughts??

Thats same times as me last year I done 3 20 mile runs in lead to marathon and finished 3 :40

Thanks Takestan,
    I was planning on doing 2 or 3 of the 20 mile runs as part of the build up, so I will take on board your advice. I was planning to go out with the 3:50 pace makers and see how I feel after 15-20 miles. Did you use Gels etc to avoid 'hitting the wall', as I have never had to face this problem so far??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Thanks RayCun,
    Lost of helpful stuff in there for a newbie, I will immerse myself in it this evening!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

If you're planning on following a 4 hour pacer, Casey78, there is no way you should be considering running in the first wave. It'll be uncomfortable for yourself, you'll be getting in people's way, etc....just a bad idea all 'round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

This 'Gold Entry' is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in a race.
    You can't blame the charities or the runners who are raising money either.
    It's totally the fault of the organisers allowing something so ridiculous to go ahead. What are they thinking?

If you're planning on following a 4 hour pacer, Casey78, there is no way you should be considering running in the first wave. It'll be uncomfortable for yourself, you'll be getting in people's way, etc....just a bad idea all 'round.

I wasn't to be fair. I didn't even really know what gold entry meant.
    I'm happy to be in wave 2 and follow the 4hr pacer.
    Thanks for the advice though.

yaboya1 wrote: »
    This 'Gold Entry' is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of in a race.
    You can't blame the charities or the runners who are raising money either.
    It's totally the fault of the organisers allowing something so ridiculous to go ahead. What are they thinking?

Yes it's highly irresponsible of the organisers imo and not of benefit to anyone as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Ososlo wrote: »
    Yes it's highly irresponsible of the organisers imo and not of benefit to anyone as far as I can see.

Totally agree. In my opinion 'Gold Entry' should consist of something like meeting the elites in the hotel or 10-15 minutes before the start on the line, before the charity runners then assemble to their correct pens based on their running ability.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Wish they had a gold entry for Boston or London.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

60 Days to go !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Just looking for a quick bit of advice. I've signed up for DCM but am seriously thinking of withdrawing. Highest mileage is two 40odd mile weeks which were followed by 2 1/2 weeks off with injury approaching the Frank Duffy, which I nursed myself through last week.

Unfortunately it's an ongoing quad problem, and I'm concerned that I can't give it sufficient rest and build my mileage to a level where I can enjoy the marathon and not worry about blowing up....just 60 days to go!! It would not be my first, as I ran the Paris Marathon in April.

Plan B is to run the half as best I can (I'm also away for a few days the weekend after next) and not worry about the consequences; I would then take a break for a few weeks regardless, before building towards the Clontarf HM at the end of November, and then putting the runners away until after Christmas.

The thought of having to pass up the chance to run a marathon in my home city is driving me nuts. However it may yet turn out to be a good decision in the long run; who knows 2015 could be an injury free year with improved results and performance to match.

Opinions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

Casey78 wrote: »

What you were told on another thread on the forum is incorrect. Your charity will be well briefed on what you will be allowed to do on race day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

What you were told on another thread on the forum is incorrect. Your charity will be well briefed on what you will be allowed to do on race day.

Why are Gardai given the privilege of all starting towards the front of the race every year?

Given the varying standards I would have thought they should find the appropriate wave like everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Why are Gardai given the privilege of all starting towards the front of the race every year?

Given the varying standards I would have thought they should find the appropriate wave like everyone else?

Are they? Probably the same way they get free McDonalds.

Joleigh wrote: »
    Are they? Probably the same way they get free McDonalds.

Ya wha?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ya wha?????

I believe Joleigh was implying the FAT guards get free MacDonalds cause you know yourself all guards are FAT and enjoy free fast food!!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

tang1 wrote: »
    I believe Joleigh was implying the FAT guards get free MacDonalds cause you know yourself all guards are FAT and enjoy free fast food!!

Wasn't implying anything about FAT! Just saying if they get to the front of the marathon line up its a perk of the job, just like getting free mackers is a perk! I'm sure they're not fat if they're running marathons :D

tang1 wrote: »

That free Mcdonalds thing is a joke I presume!

Joleigh wrote: »
    Wasn't implying anything about FAT! Just saying if they get to the front of the marathon line up its a perk of the job, just like getting free mackers is a perk! I'm sure they're not fat if they're running marathons :D

I've never gotten a free one nor would i take one if it was offered. I dont think its a perk of the job starting at the front of DCM either, i think its a form of thank you from Dublin City Council towards the Gardai or something along those lines. Hardworker i'm sure will explain exactly why when hes around.

• Advertisement

That free Mcdonalds thing is a joke I presume!

Afraid not, happens in alot of places.

Advertisement