Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I will use the garmin on lap pace in order to complain to the pacers that they're going too fast / too slow until we part company, hopefully with .2miles left because I'll have left them for dead with a blistering turn of speed, but probably somewhere around the Dropping Well might me more likely because I can't keep up!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

Does Garmin 220 have average pace? Thought I read online it doesn't?

I see it does. Ignore me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    Does Garmin 220 have average pace? Thought I read online it doesn't?

Indeed it does.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I will use the garmin on lap pace in order to complain to the pacers that they're going too fast / too slow

If there is one thing that makes a pacer's day, it is this. Make sure you do it loudly and early, ideally starting before you get to Stephan's Green... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

PaulieC wrote: »
    If there is one thing that makes a pacer's day, it is this. Make sure you do it loudly and early, ideally starting before you get to Stephan's Green... :D

I'd say so, I may get forced off the pace sooner than planned...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

I have had problems pooing on long runs and have shat more times in the park than the average deer! Haven't taken Imodium during training as I didn't want the couple day back-up the follows to interfere with subsequent runs. I will be nervous before the race, which will make maters worse. Definitely planning on taking one and just wondering if anyone else has. I've read on some running blogs that it does not interfere with the running.

Obviously you should have tried it on one long run but I don't think it's particularly helpful to you to keep repeating that without any more info.

After a bad experience last year I tried it on my last two long runs and included gels which normally tear the guts out of me (two immodium just before starting.) I had no problems and will be bringing two extra with me just in case as I wouldn't wish last year on my worst enemy!

Obviously this is my experience and yours could differ, although I would mention that immodium is meant to be taken when you are in gastric distress so is unlikely to make you worse at the very least.
    Good luck in your race!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 TooMuchIronMan

I've had minor chaffing on the inside leg on some long runs, but didn't bother with Vaseline. Haven't run 26 miles flat out though so it may be a different story. Bought a singlet the other day (not worn one before) which I haven't used on a long run (I know).

Word of warning on the singlet, I got a while back for first time and had bad chaffing under the arm on my first run with it (where inside of arm hit seam of singlet). Not worn it since, only mentioning it because I really wasn't expecting a problem there, maybe I run with a weird arm action though!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

adrian522 wrote: »

Obviously I'd still wear a pace band but not going to be checking it at every mile marker, that's what you pacers are there for.

What's the deal with those pace bands? Can you not do the maths in your head? I find it occupies me nicely for a minute or even two at each mile. (and yes I know you can get confused in the later miles, but I find it entertaining)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well if your pace is supposed to be 8:47 m/m and you are at mile 16, can you figure out in your head what your watch should say as you go through mile 16? I know I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

Well if your pace is supposed to be 8:47 m/m and you are at mile 16, can you figure out in your head what your watch should say as you go through mile 16? I know I can't.

OK point taken, but who goes for 8:47? 8:45 easy in the head, 8:50 easy in the head.

I am not against the idea of pace bands, was just wondering.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Well 8:47 equates to 3:50 finish time.

Even 8:45 x 16 is not that easy for me to do, I guess I'm a bit slow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Over the last few miles even basic maths can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Well 8:47 equates to 3:50 finish time.

Even 8:45 x 16 is not that easy for me to do, I guess I'm a bit slow

4 minutes less than 16 x 9 minute miles ;)

Think I'll just stick with the pacers ...

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

I have bother enough doing mental maths at home never mind when I am running a marathon.
    Pace band it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭NameThatTune

Hi Everyone, first time Dublin Marathoner second marathon etc etc I have a question re the route. When you turn right at the KCR up Fortfield road do you continue all the way to the roundabout or do you take one of the left hand turns before the roundabout?
    Answers much appreciated as I need to let my elderly folks where to stand (Im hoping the roundabout)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Hi Everyone, first time Dublin Marathoner second marathon etc etc I have a question re the route. When you turn right at the KCR up Fortfield road do you continue all the way to the roundabout or do you take one of the left hand turns before the roundabout?
    Answers much appreciated as I need to let my elderly folks where to stand (Im hoping the roundabout)

You take the very first left that brings you down past Terenure College. Same road where the start/finish for the Terenure 5 Mile is situated.

You turn right at KCR then a quick left up fortfield road which brings you up by terenure college up towards bushy park, then left towards Ternure/Rathgar.

You don't go as far as the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Things that can annoy pacer's.

Audible smart phone running apps.
    Garmin's that beep after 0.621371 miles.
    Headphone wearers who cant hear the ambulance coming behind us.
    Muppets trying to win the "who can throw the 3/4 full bottle of water the furthest"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Netwerk Errer

ger664 wrote: »
    Things that can annoy pacer's.

Audible smart phone running apps.
    Garmin's that beep after 0.621371 miles.
    Headphone wearers who cant hear the ambulance coming behind us.
    Muppets trying to win the "who can throw the 3/4 full bottle of water the furthest"

Another on water bottle throwers.

Muppets who drop or throw bottles behind them on the road where others can trip on them.

I was doing the half in Limerick this year when an idiot actually turned around and threw the bottle full force behind him. It bounced off the road and hit me on the knee.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MacAttackJ

Greetings. Does anyone know for definite what the tracker timing points are? Eg, 5m or 10k for the first one and 30k vs 20m for the third. The tracker leaderboard and map currently shows them at 10k and 30k. However whilst last years results show a 30k split, that was in fact 20m.

As an aside, jogged over to the finish line, marked nicely, and ran the last few miles home at MP after work this evening. If I feel as good going down nutley lane on Monday as I did going up this evening, I will be very happy. Unlikely however.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Narco0o0o0o

xElDeeX wrote: »

After a bad experience last year I tried it on my last two long runs and included gels which normally tear the guts out of me (two immodium just before starting.) I had no problems and will be bringing two extra with me just in case as I wouldn't wish last year on my worst enemy!

Cheers, I'm going to bring one with me and will down one on the run if feel the tell tale signs coming on. Looks like it's a common enough problem and imodium does indeed seem to be helpful...
    community.runnersworld.com/topic/imodium-usage-for-marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

This thread has gone to sh1te..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

In pulling a computer cable, I've just brought a TV wall-mount crashing down onto my foot. Ow ow ow.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

Visitor to Dublin - what time would i want to get the LUAS from the red cow and where should i get off (Staying in Bewleys Newlands Cross). Does anyone know if the Monday service is limited as it is a bank holiday. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Tetney wrote: »
    Visitor to Dublin - what time would i want to get the LUAS from the red cow and where should i get off (Staying in Bewleys Newlands Cross). Does anyone know if the Monday service is limited as it is a bank holiday. Thanks

check luas.ie for service info.
    It takes about 35 mins on the luas for city centre, get off at Abbey Street. You then have a 10-15 min walk.

Get to the main area 90 mins before the start time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

davedanon wrote: »
    In pulling a computer cable, I've just brought a TV wall-mount crashing down onto my foot. Ow ow ow.

NO FURNITURE MOVING/rearranging at all between now and then!!! You ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

check luas.ie for service info.
    It takes about 35 mins on the luas for city centre, get off at Abbey Street. You then have a 10-15 min walk.

Get to the main area 90 mins before the start time.

the first luas as far as i can see is 7:00, from tallaght or saggart..getting to the start line 90 minutes before the start is not possible if you get the Luas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

amcgee wrote: »
    the first luas as far as i can see is 7:00, from tallaght or saggart..getting to the start line 90 minutes before the start is not possible if you get the Luas

No need to be at the start line 90 mins beforehand.
    I intend to be there around 8:30 but I know the lie of the land from previous runs. I would suggest being there at 8:15 for rookies would be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

If we get there around 8.15 is it easy enough to get into the right group in wave 1 or will you be pushing yourself through disgruntled runners. Is there a side entrance to each pace band?

Advertisement