Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Dubgal72 wrote: »
    NO FURNITURE MOVING/rearranging at all between now and then!!! You ok?

Yeah. It's a bit sore, but nothing to worry about. At the moment I am in the latter throes of clearing/selling my (deceased) auntie's flat. So in the last couple of weeks I have been humping furniture, including a wardrobe, dresser and a large fridge, down a set of steps (which have a oldies-lift permanently stuck at the top). Add to that a re-varnishing job on the floors at home, which necessitated moving all the furniture out to the garden/shed, boxing up all the books, CDs and knick-knacks and removing same. On top of all that, the Sister-in-Law and husband are moving house (well, separating, really) and we ended up down there the other night for a couple of hours, putting assorted crap (and I do mean crap) into boxes, taping them up and labelling them. This was only because the wife asked me to help her move on SUNDAY 26TH, as they need to be out by next Tuesday. This I FLAT-OUT REFUSED TO DO.

So now. What were you saying about moving furniture?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Tetney

amcgee wrote: »
    the first luas as far as i can see is 7:00, from tallaght or saggart..getting to the start line 90 minutes before the start is not possible if you get the Luas
    belcarra wrote: »
    No need to be at the start line 90 mins beforehand.
    I intend to be there around 8:30 but I know the lie of the land from previous runs. I would suggest being there at 8:15 for rookies would be fine.

Thanks. First LUAS from Tallaght appears to be 7:00 so 7:10 ish from Red Cow. If that takes 35 mins i would be in Abbey St at say 7:45 and at the start at 8:00. Seems feasible i hope...

If we get there around 8.15 is it easy enough to get into the right group in wave 1 or will you be pushing yourself through disgruntled runners. Is there a side entrance to each pace band?

Take a look at the START Map on the marathon website. The routine seems to have changed. Wave 1 seems to be funneling down the south side of Merrion Sq and onto Fitzwilliam St. lower. Waves 2 and 3 start off the same but continue down Mount St. Wave 1 goes up Lr. Fitzwilliam St and all the way up to the Start line. I'd be slightly worried about this. If the system goes wrong, Wave 1ers are a long way back from the start if it gets crowded. hopefully the organisers know what they're doing though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Tetney wrote: »
    Thanks. First LUAS from Tallaght appears to be 7:00 so 7:10 ish from Red Cow. If that takes 35 mins i would be in Abbey St at say 7:45 and at the start at 8:00. Seems feasible i hope...

I'd say it would be 8:15 by the time you get to the start but that should still be fine as long as everything runs on time etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

davedanon wrote: »
    Take a look at the START Map on the marathon website. The routine seems to have changed. Wave 1 seems to be funneling down the south side of Merrion Sq and onto Fitzwilliam St. lower. Waves 2 and 3 start off the same but continue down Mount St. Wave 1 goes up Lr. Fitzwilliam St and all the way up to the Start line. I'd be slightly worried about this. If the system goes wrong, Wave 1ers are a long way back from the start if it gets crowded. hopefully the organisers know what they're doing though.

So will it not be possible to walk along a footpath to the right spot and just jump a barrier at the side of the road. First time doing this so no idea how it is worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭dcorcaigh

So will it not be possible to walk along a footpath to the right spot and just jump a barrier at the side of the road. First time doing this so no idea how it is worked.

No unless you can scale 6ft barriers!! you really have to just go with the flow of the wave, just arrive early enough to station yourself in the correct position

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

No, that won't be possible.

If you want to get towards the front of your wave you'll need to be there earlier and take your place.

If you're okay with standing a bit further back then that won't be a problem, it's never THAT packed. Keep in mind that they use chip timing which starts as you cross the line, not when the gun goes off.
    If we get there around 8.15 is it easy enough to get into the right group in wave 1 or will you be pushing yourself through disgruntled runners. Is there a side entrance to each pace band?

If you get there at 8:15 you'll be fine. In fact, the pacers most likely won't be at their spot yet by that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

For this to work the baggage Area needs to be one way. Enter at Merrion SQ West and then exit depending on your wave. Wave 1 down FitzWilliam St Lower, wave 2 and 3 dowm Mount Street to get to starting pens. Wave 2 and 3 will probably be held in place from entering FitzWilliam Street/Start Line until after Wave 1 has started.

ger664 wrote: »
    For this to work the baggage Area needs to be one way. Enter at Merrion SQ West and then exit depending on your wave. Wave 1 down FitzWilliam St Lower, wave 2 and 3 dowm Mount Street to get to starting pens. Wave 2 and 3 will probably be held in place from entering FitzWilliam Street/Start Line until after Wave 1 has started.

Yeah, also it puts the kybosh on my usual habit of parking in and around Percy Place, by the looks of it. Hopefully I'm getting a lift anyway, but I did suggest it for someone on here coming up for the country. With waves 2/3 coming down one Mount St. and the finish route on the other, approaching from the canal side looks dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

I emailed Luas in relation to first luas from Saggart on monday

here is reply

The first tram from Saggart is at 7.12, you'll change at Belgard as there is no direct service on a Bank Holiday, you should be at the Abbey Luas stop for 7.59am

If there is anything further we can help you with, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Interview with Maria McCambridge and a course overview (not a patch on tunguska's review!!)-

• Registered Users Posts: 4,272 ✭✭✭Dubgal72

Yeah. It's a bit sore, but nothing to worry about. At the moment I am in the latter throes of clearing/selling my (deceased) auntie's flat. So in the last couple of weeks I have been humping furniture, including a wardrobe, dresser and a large fridge, down a set of steps (which have a oldies-lift permanently stuck at the top). Add to that a re-varnishing job on the floors at home, which necessitated moving all the furniture out to the garden/shed, boxing up all the books, CDs and knick-knacks and removing same. On top of all that, the Sister-in-Law and husband are moving house (well, separating, really) and we ended up down there the other night for a couple of hours, putting assorted crap (and I do mean crap) into boxes, taping them up and labelling them. This was only because the wife asked me to help her move on SUNDAY 26TH, as they need to be out by next Tuesday. This I FLAT-OUT REFUSED TO DO.

So now. What were you saying about moving furniture?

Haha, had a laugh at this :-) maybe you shouldn't change what you have been doing?! (Condolences on your loss btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Kop On wrote: »
    The dart won't be going to the RDS this weekend, the line out that way is closed due to engineering works. Of all the weekends!

http://www.irishrail.ie/news/october-bank-holiday-weekend-service-arrangements

Also, no early DART service from North or South side this Monday that will get us to the start line on time - have checked with Irish Rail and due to lack of demand in previous years they're not running.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Public transport really doesn't help does it ! First bus out of my area leaves at 8:50. Seems strange that there appears to be so little demand on the dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Public transport really doesn't help does it ! First bus out of my area leaves at 8:50. Seems strange that there appears to be so little demand on the dart.

Also, no additional bus services - checked with Dublin Bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

yep - guess I'll be driving in and driving home before going back in again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Serious question

I can't remember what I ate the morning of the DCM last year - for my lsr's I usually just have 2 slices of toast

What do most people have before the event?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

LUAS closures while the race is on -

Bank Holiday Monday 27th October , Dublin City Marathon 2014

Passengers please be advised that Luas will be disrupted on Monday morning 27th October to allow for the Dublin City Marathon to Cross the City. The following will apply:

Luas Red Line: Service suspended between Heuston and Connolly/ The Point from 9.00am-10.20am

Services will run between Saggart/Tallaght and Heuston only between 9.00am-10.20am

When the Marathon has passed a full service will resume.

Operating Hours: 7.00am-11.30pm

Luas Green Line: Services will be delayed for up to 30 minutes from approx 9.00am, this is to allow for the participants to pass Cuffe. St

Operating Hours: 7.00am-11.30pm

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Serious question

I can't remember what I ate the morning of the DCM last year - for my lsr's I usually just have 2 slices of toast

What do most people have before the event?

Just have what you're used to!! Maybe make it 3 slices with something on it.

I'll be having porridge with honey and raisins. And a cup of hot water then a coffee!

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭M.J.M.C

Joleigh wrote: »
    Just have what you're used to!! Maybe make it 3 slices with something on it.

I'll be having porridge with honey and raisins. And a cup of hot water then a coffee!

Thanks I'm freaked I didn't take note of what I had last year.
    I dont want to go hungry but obviously dont want to over eat or try something new.

Might have 3 slices of toast and a banana

Thanks for the reply.

• Advertisement

M.J.M.C wrote: »
    Thanks I'm freaked I didn't take note of what I had last year.
    I dont want to go hungry but obviously dont want to over eat or try something new.

Might have 3 slices of toast and a banana

Thanks for the reply.

I love banana on toast!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Tyrone_03

I also love banana on toast however as I have not had banana on toast before any of my LSR's I sure won't be taking it on Monday morning again.

Porridge with a cheekly small sprinkle of canderel and a cup of coffee for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

porridge for me with some honey and half of a sliced banana. If I'm feeling posh I may throw in a few fresh raspberries and blueberries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭ultraman1

Wont say Wat I have in case wife is reading ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭ddoylers

Has anybody got a time lapse video of the course. Thanks.

I'm used to having porridge on Sunday mornings, so I'll be doing that, only I'll probably be up super early on the day, so I might treat myself to something else as well, since it'll be up to 3 hours before the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,637 ✭✭✭Trampas

I'll be around for the full irish um1 before hand and mug of coffee.

None of this cup

Quality reading material in the jacks also required

More importantly, what will you be eating after the race! I'd like a nice rewarding dinner but can't decide what. I'm sure it won't be pasta though.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭EauRouge79

Joleigh wrote: »
    More importantly, what will you be eating after the race! I'd like a nice rewarding dinner but can't decide what. I'm sure it won't be pasta though.

A few mid afternoon pints followed by a tasty kebab!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

ultraman1 wrote: »
    Wont say Wat I have in case wife is reading ...

She's not reading - tell us - chocolate fudge cake ???

Advertisement