Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Ososlo wrote: »
    That free Mcdonalds thing is a joke I presume!

I'm ringing joe Duffy just incase.

#fatgaurdshiddenperks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

tang1 wrote: »
    Afraid not, happens in alot of places.

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard!
    So free chips and gold entry to the marathon.
    Hhhmmm time to consider a career change!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

If you are running around 4 hrs and you're a guard and you get put at the front of the marathon, I wouldn't call that a perk, that's a punishment.

I'd much rather be back with the proper pace group.

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    If you are running around 4 hrs and you're a guard and you get put at the front of the marathon, I wouldn't call that a perk, that's a punishment.

I'd much rather be back with the proper pace group.

Ha ha fair point. I wonder is it just Mcdonalds or all chippers..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

Ha ha fair point. I wonder is it just Mcdonalds or all chippers..

If you told me your local chipper i could tell you i bet!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

That free Mcdonalds thing is a joke I presume!

It wouldn't be uncommon for uniformed Gardai to pick up free take aways during their breaks from a lot of establishments.

Again not saying they all do it or everyone gives away free food but it is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Joleigh

I know the fire brigade in my area get free mackers too! I suppose its a case of "you scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Be nice to the emergency services, you never know when you'll need them. I'm sure the guards often have to help chippers out with any drunken late night messers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

Back to DCM......

Last couple of days running and notice the increase in wind/strong gusts here in the west. Started to think about the weather just before DCM last year and now I'm getting nervous already :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

The distinguished group that have done all dublin marathons have an option to start in the top group but in fairness I think they all decline the chance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Started to think about the weather just before DCM

And the madness begins :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Hard Worker

The Gardaí have their own assembly point at the head of the Marathon. The group of approximately 150 line up in front of the race until the Garda Band have played the anthem, which is sung by one of their colleagues. They will then make their way into whichever zone they wish. Most are sensible enough to go to the correct spot. They would be well briefed by Paul Moran, who is probably well known to a lot of you.
    Paul will then proceed to lead them home in a time of around the 2.40 mark :)
    Not too bad for someone over 50.
    Regarding the free McDonalds: most establishments are happy to have Gardaí frequent their place as it lessens the chances of hassle of any sort. Cheap security.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭krafty

Regarding the free McDonalds: most establishments are happy to have Gardaí frequent their place as it lessens the chances of hassle of any sort. Cheap security.

I can hear David Attenborough's voice whispering...

"...Among the cacophony of life supported by the chipshop, the guard, easily idetifiable in distinctive blue plumage, is a welcome visitor. You are about to see of one of nature's best symbiotic relationships... The presence of the guard will discourage any would-be predators from launching a surprise attack..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

On my way into work this morning and I see a "13" spray painted on the road near the Gaza strip crumlin shopping centre.........is this related to the new marathon route?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

tunguska wrote: »
    On my way into work this morning and I see a "13" spray painted on the road near the Gaza strip crumlin shopping centre.........is this related to the new marathon route?

13 seems to be on the Barn bridge
    http://static.squarespace.com/static/519b4b82e4b04feb42ae4c0d/t/53e20171e4b0890253523eaa/1407320433836/SSE-AT-DM14%20ROUTE%20MAP_updated.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

RayCun wrote: »

Yeah I saw that on the map alright but sometimes the route map can be a little off in terms of exact measurements. I dunno, maybe it had nothing to do with the DCM. Be strange though to have the halfway point at that point, got so used to it being around the walkinstown roundabout area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Yeah I saw that on the map alright but sometimes the route map can be a little off in terms of exact measurements. I dunno, maybe it had nothing to do with the DCM. Be strange though to have the halfway point at that point, got so used to it being around the walkinstown roundabout area.

Once you come out of the park all of the usual locations will be further on in the race so it is probably right that the halfway point is somewhere around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭SnailsPace

Yeah, I saw a 17 outside terenure college

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭emerald007

saw the 20 mile mark on milltown road, a little before you turn onto clonskeagh road. got a few goose bumps seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Gaza strip??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Murph_D wrote: »
    Gaza strip??

Pretty sure it was a joke? Have you been by the Crumlin Shopping Centre recently? It's actually a fairly apt comparison...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

dukeraoul wrote: »
    Pretty sure it was a joke? Have you been by the Crumlin Shopping Centre recently? It's actually a fairly apt comparison...

I know we toss around these quite ridiculous comparisons far too glibly - for a long time 'Beirut' was the gold standard when describing urban blight or decay, but not so much these days - and I know people mean no harm, but think about what you're saying there. We've all watched the Israelis trying to bomb the Palestinians in Gaza back to the stone age for the past several weeks, and thousands of them have died. Yet you're comparing that to a shopping centre in Dublin. I'm not trying to get all T*****r on yo ass, but that's just a dumb thing to say.

Entry to Race Series Half closes this Sunday 7th September

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭webpal

Murph_D wrote: »
    Gaza strip??

Pretty sure that should read "party strip". I haven't witnessed atmosphere like it, in any race I've run. As ever, hats off to the locals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

overall, what difference have the changes to the course made? Is the course much different from the old one? Is the start and finish different? From what I have read on here some thing its hardly changed at all while some feel irs now a crap course. Whats the consensus?

from the start to Phoenix park has changed. it runs along the southside (LUASworks ruled out College Green and O'Connell street) for a fair bit, and gets to the park later. Also, there's a loop outside the park at Castleknock gate coming back in at Knockmaroon
    Exiting Phoenix park to UCD flyover is exactly the same as usual, but everything is a couple of miles further along. Walkinstown roundabout is now at 15 miles ish, and so on.
    From the flyover to the finish line is much more direct. Finish running up Mount Street instead of going around Fenian Street and looping around TCD. (LUAS works again)
    So, you don't have the bit of climb up from the Liffey to Phibsboro at the start, but there's a long drag from 3-6 running straight up the park,followed by a fast downhill in the loop outside. Clonskeagh will hurt more at that point, but get to UCD flyover and you've a fast 5k to the finish.
    Shouldn't make much of a difference unless you're a Canadian wuss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

from the start to Phoenix park has changed. it runs along the southside (LUASworks ruled out College Green and O'Connell street) for a fair bit, and gets to the park later. Also, there's a loop outside the park at Castleknock gate coming back in at Knockmaroon
    Exiting Phoenix park to UCD flyover is exactly the same as usual, but everything is a couple of miles further along. Walkinstown roundabout is now at 15 miles ish, and so on.
    From the flyover to the finish line is much more direct. Finish running up Mount Street instead of going around Fenian Street and looping around TCD. (LUAS works again)
    So, you don't have the bit of climb up from the Liffey to Phibsboro at the start, but there's a long drag from 3-6 running straight up the park,followed by a fast downhill in the loop outside. Clonskeagh will hurt more at that point, but get to UCD flyover and you've a fast 5k to the finish.

Hahaha in all seriousness I've run that Hueston to castle knock drag now 3 times and it's 4 miles or so it is very very slow especially when wind blowing.. IMO at least 2-3 mins slower than previous years as I think the big downhill will hurt a lot of people as well...I'd b training on a lot of up and down if I were running it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

It takes in more of the Liffey which is a good thing, I think. It's a pity the north side is left out even more than usual though. To think this race used take in Cabra, Finglas, Raheny, Clontarf and Fairview! They could have avoided the Luas and still taken it across the Liffey at Matt Talbot or S Beckett Bridge and gone to the Park that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Thanks Ray,thats what I hoped. I know that drag tru the park well and it shouldnt be too bad that early on and hopefully in a group. It will be strange getting bearings in second half but the stretch from 11 to 13 I always found the hardest on the course. It always seemed bleak and windy there and having it a few miles closer to the finish is a good thing, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AMCD82

Hi all,

I'm running the DCM for the first time this October and am looking for some advice re. timing. When I entered some time back I was just going with the idea that I'd be happy with doing it in 4 hours or if on the day going well better. Consequently, I'm in Wave 2.

I've done three half marathons since March - Today FM (1.45) Lisburn (1.51 - warm night, midweek and got first half badly wrong); Killarney (1.39- lot of downhill).

I've already done a 19mile training run, 2 X 20 and 1 21.5 miler. These have typically been done in 5.15-5.15 ave per km pace running alone. I will do a few more but will probably drop off the pace of my long runs as perhaps I've been going out a bit fast on them.

For the past month, I was thinking I should go with the 3.50 which I presume will the be the fastest pacing group in Wave 2 and see how I am going until about half way and if I feel I have a lot more in me then kick on and try go better. Ideally there would be a 3.45 hour pacing group. I'm therefore in 2 minds as to whether I should attempt to aim for 3.40 and stick to pacers but I presume I would need to be in Wave 1 for that.

What are people's thoughts on my timing?
    Is it possible to be moved to a different wave after registering?

I am planning on doing the 30km Human Race in Limerick on the first Sunday in October as my last long run and using that as a key timing device.

Thanks,
    Anthony

• Advertisement

You can ask at help desk at the expo to have wave changed. I think going with the 3.50 group with the possibility of kicking on is a good plan for your first time out

Advertisement