Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

So glad to see everyone else found it tough as I was feeling quite depressed. A whole 5 mins slower than last year and for the first time in any race EVER I walked for a bit. That to me was total failure. My head wasn't really in the right place (2 days of manflu on sat and sun had me pretty worn out and waking at 1am on marathon morning and not falling back asleep again) coupled with the heat (3 weeks of training in the Spain and Corfu during the summer seemingly didn't help), I suppose it's no surprise really.
    In fairness I only ever felt the negative effects of the wind in the final 800m and crumlin, other than that it always seemed to be on my back.
    Like others, after finishing I was adamant that that was my last marathon but given everyone else's experiences maybe I'll have a rethink :-)
    As always support was incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 rockstar_91

First marathon today. All I can call it is an ordeal. My target was sub 4:20 (which might have been foolish on my part). The wind around Dolphins Barn on that open stretch took it out of me and I just had to let the flags drift away. Kept running up until 17 but after that it was walk a few minutes, run a few. I know "Heartbreak Hill" and whether it is one is a bit of a debated topic, but today with the nasty headwind and the heat, there were a lot of broken souls by mile 22. The support at the top was incredible and really spurred me on. Struggled home from there with a dodgy knee but the shouts of encouragement were incredible. Made it across in 4:58:39 and was very happy to come in under 5 hours all considered.

The stewards, marshals and everyone with water, gels, sweets and fruit really made the day and the atmosphere was incredible and are the main reason I'm not saying I won't do it next year!

Well done to everyone today. It was tough going but it was a brilliant day.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭AlsoRan

As the heat was getting to me and I was getting slower and slower in the second half, using great willpower to keep going despite all the aching parts of me, I announced out loud a few times "Never again". By the time I got to the end I was thinking of next year and by now I am determined to give it a go again. I did better than last year, but I definitely feel there's a bit scope there for another year. This from a woman who had to be firelifted up the stairs from her husband to have a shower, as there's was no way I was getting up there otherwise!

The support from the crowd and the stewards was immense, really helped and I think that's another reason that we'll probably all be thinking about entering again. Enjoy the well earned rest everyone and the alcoholic refreshments we'll all probably be partaking in later or still ploughing through for those of you in McGrattans!

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

I'd like to add my thanks to the pacers for today, the 4:30, 4:40 and 4:50 pacers all did wonders in getting me to the finish. If I had a hat, I'd be tipping it to you all.

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Congrats to all runners today in really tough conditions. As a supporter it was evident that the majority were finding the wind and heavy conditions hard going . At 20m most looked fecked and the hard miles were only starting.

Hats off to anyone who hit their target time or managed a pb.

Well done all. Rest up now.

• Advertisement

Just home from cheering at the marathon! I was the girl with the 'Hate to see you go...Love to watch you leave' sign, btw! :D Hope you saw me and got a bit of a laugh from it!

I started at Meath Street from 9am, cheered there for a while, then headed for Mile 13, cheered there for an hour or so, then made my way to mile 25 where I cheered for three hours. It was epic. To see you go from the first few miles, to the halfway and then on towards the finish, your determination is legendary!

You marathon runners are really amazing, just getting across the starting line is an achievement. Congrats to everyone for taking part, no matter what time you did or didn't finish in. You're all inspiring just for lacing up the shoes and going for it!

Similar to that, I was at the start, mile 21, and finish. I took advantage of dublin bikes which were a great idea to get around to see all of my mates.

Got to cheer all but one of my friends at mile 21, he passed me but I missed him. One of the lads was in an awful amount of pain when he got to me, didn't think he'd make it the rest of the way, remembered I had tylex in my bag, and he reckons he wouldn't have made it back without it, I wonder how much of a placebo they were but at least he made it home.

Such a great day and I'm so proud of my friends. They were amazing. Ye all are.

Hopefully I'll get there next year, we'll see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

One thing I did miss was people cheering my name. Last year it was amazing coming around Trinity with everyone shouting my name...I actually felt like I was in with a shout of winning (even though the winners had long since finished and headed home)
    They need to return to the old numbering system

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Ferris B

Congrats to all runners today in really tough conditions. As a supporter it was evident that the majority were finding the wind and heavy conditions hard going . At 20m most looked fecked and the hard miles was only starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Keep on Running

Hi, I want to say a huge thanks to the 3 hour pacers, particularly the 3rd guy in the team who kept motivating and pushing the guys at the back of the group. He even came back down Mount street and dragged me up the road by the hand towards the finish line ( I don't actually remember this but was told by my wife afterwards) but at this stage my legs were gone. I do remember him running back a 2nd time and pushing me up Mount Street but I had nothing left in the tank. I fiinished about 20 seconds over 3 hours but gave it everything I had so am happy with the result. The poor guy even came over an apologised afterwards even though no apology was necessary, at that point my brain was fried and I was carted off to the medical tent for an hour+. Hope I didn't ruin his 3 hour goal time.
    Like most others that have commented, I found the combination of the heat and wind very tough and the support incredible.
    I also want to thank the team in the medical tent and the physios who did a great job of re-hydrating me and getting me back on my feet. I'm feeling fine now. Not forgetting all the volunteers today.. Great job!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭supremenovice

Ill give my two cents on a first timers experience:
    I got to baggage at 0840, loads of time considering I was in the 0920 wave. So, i heard the steward on the mic, blaring out "theres plenty of toilets at each start zone". Fair enough, ill toddle down there. I got in the queue at 0845 and at 0910 i was still nowhere the toilet. But i had to go so, i got in and out of the loo at 0921, and had some 800mts to the start line. As I turned into the start straight, to a wilderness of litter and a couple of stragglers, the starter guy had just hung up his mic and I was practically the last man across the line. It shook me a bit but kept cool and caught the pack. They need more TOILETS!

As for the run itself, I managed to hang with the 4:40 pacers until Kimmage, when the 4:50s caught me, then at the 19mile mark the 5:00 pacers. Suffice to say it was crushing to see them all edge into the distance by about mile 22😦. Anyway, i kept the wheels in motion, despite all the negative thoughts and jogged the last 400m to get home at a time of 5:05.
    Could I do better? Yes but sadly not today
    (My 10mile Pb is 1:37).
    Id like to echo other boardsies and thank all the super supporters/ strangers who shouted my name to keep me going from start to finish. And of course family who travelled the course all afternoon handing me food and encouragement.
    Major respect to all runners who gave their all today to cross that line!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Was only pacing a friend around today, so running at sub-optimum pace, but even at that I found it tough going. From the wind early in the race to the muggy conditions towards the end. Fair play to anyone who hit a target in that!

Crowd was immense. Haven't run Dublin since 2010, but it's come on leaps and bounds since. Final half mile was epic, even though I was carrying my friend at that stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

I'd like to add my thanks to the pacers for today, the 4:30, 4:40 and 4:50 pacers all did wonders in getting me to the finish. If I had a hat, I'd be tipping it to you all.

Didn't realise you were back running Killian - well done! I'm guessing it's been a long, hard road, not least today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

Ok getting chauffeured home at the minute after 6 pint bottles :-) but just wanted to comment on the support out the there today. That's my 5th DCM and have never seen anything like it. Buladh bos!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭jefferson73

Firstly congratulations to everyone that made it across the finish line, great achievement. Having not done the course since 2012, I found the new format rather difficult, in fact it seemed to be gradually uphill most of the way, i'm struggling to identify many downhill or flat sections. Other than UCD..the cross wind in the park and the head wind on the Crumlin road really played a part in weakening me at 18 miles plus, I suffered big time.
    I'd like to also second the comments made about the toilets, severely low on numbers at the starting point which was unfortunate, my target was 3.50..unfortunately got 4.19 which is a PB but still disappointed. To end on a positive, the Dublin crowd and fellow runners were something special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Ferris B wrote: »
    Congrats to all runners today in really tough conditions. As a supporter it was evident that the majority were finding the wind and heavy conditions hard going . At 20m most looked fecked and the hard miles was only starting.

Really nice to meet you! Sorry I was a bit distracted. The ambulance had arrived for the runner I was trying to find a space blanket for by the time I got back, so i could have stayed & chatted after all :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

I was out watching in Terenure. Great buzz about the place. My initial stash of jellies and drinks didn't last long - had to go shopping for seconds and thirds!

Fair play to all finishers - it was tough going out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Nd7

Massive thanks to 4:10 pacer Mark, he got me to 38 k, just fell off a bit then, finishing in 4:11:30, so big thanks to you Mark, and lovely of you to find me in the bag drop area, Nicky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭SwiftJustice

Finished in 4:37. I went off with the 4:40 pacers but I got such a buzz going up Castleknock Rd & through the village that when I looked behind me they were out of sight!! I pushed on and caught the 4:30 group whom I stayed with until mile 20 when my legs went wallop. Took me approx 3 miles of running/walking to recover a bit but I got home fairly strong. I was kinda surprised to see the 800m sign. I'm really happy with my time as I basically got no training in for the past 2 months (just 1 run) and had planned to quit at the 10k mark. Support was incredible and really makes the event.

I think the names on the race numbers could have been bigger. It was much better last year.

I heard people saying at around mile 22 that they would never do a marathon again but I was already planning my race for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭jlang

hawkwing wrote: »
    The "run faster as the lions have broken out" poster at the zoo was class :).And just up from it there was a lad in a gorilla suit or maybe it was a real gorilla:confused:
    I liked "run like you left the immersion on" and that the garage on the quays changed the prices on its sign to 99.9c for the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BettyBoo2011

Well done everyone today, what a fantastic day and event. I was the girl out with the blow up ghost, was super inspiring to see you all finishing. Hope you enjoy a few days relaxing and looking back on your achievement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point. He clearly cheated.

Actually I thought the same but read back. He was 3rd wheelchair so its all good.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 akeady

Well done to all who finished and thanks to all the organisers, ambulance people, water providers, pacers and great supporters. I stuck my name on my number and it was nice to get personalised support, and the volume of the support was very loud at times.

For the race itself, I had my worst run for a long time - 4.41.51, when I'd been hoping (optimistically) to break 4 hours (I did 4.03.37 in 2012 and 4.15.22 last year). Not enough training - I was following a my.asics.com plan but didn't do any run longer than a half marathon; I had a sore left knee and right leg after the Dublin half marathon as an excuse! Looking at the GPS times this evening, I didn't go as fast in the early miles as in the last 2 years - I had made and downloaded a Workout plan to the Garmin which should have got me around in 3.50 to 3.58. I should have experimented a bit with Advanced Workouts before today, as I managed to lose timing for the first 0.7 miles by not starting the timer properly. I was on that schedule for about 10 miles, but thereafter had little energy and walked a lot. It was as much mental as physical - from 12 miles on, I was considering walking all the way as the 4 hours was looking distinctly unlikely. It was only at around 22 miles that I put on a spurt and ran most of the last 4 miles. Well, more rigorous training and a sub-4 target for 2015 (again!). I should have gone with the 3.50 or 4.00 pacers - I doubt it would have made enough of a difference today, but I probably lost 20+ minutes just by lazily walking.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Went out with 3:20 pacers and wheels came off around mile 11/12, dropped off the group with pain from my injury that I have with my chest muscles from two weeks ago.

When the 3:30 pacers passed me I gave up any aim of getting a decent time and just decided to take it easy and finish sub4

Pretty Frustrating, but considering it hurt with every breath to breath last Monday I guess I was hoping for too much,

Oh well, :(

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭echancrure

DNF for me. Ended up with St John's Ambulance between 20 and 21 miles. Analysis to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭xElDeeX

[bonaparte2;92783788]=tunguska;92775983]Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    2005|yaboya1|2:59:11|2:59:10|
    42 |Tunguska|2:38:40|2:38:39|
    |Netwerk Errer|3:15:29|2:59:59|
    |Paddybarry|N/A|2:55|
    5116 |Adrian522|N/A|3:48:00|
    |Canine Marathoner|3.09.xx|2:59.59|
    |Fraggle00|4.05.xx|3.45.00|
    |xElDeeX|4:09:xx|3:47:00|3:54:19|
    |Bahanaman|2:57:52 *|2:59:59|
    |dublin runner|2:50:35|2:43:00 <|
    |chavezychavez|3:20:57|3:20:00|
    |RayCun|2:59:06|2:55|
    |AuldManKing||3:40:10|
    |fletch|3:16:26|3:14:59|
    |DogSlySmile|2:59:59|2:49:59|
    |Endurancer123|3:25:59|3:19:59|
    |Mr Freeze|3:50:11|3:38:00|
    |Plodman|3:17:22|2:49:59|
    |dcorcaigh|4:19:40|3:49:49|
    |Pacing Mule| 5:36:53|4:19:00|
    |Martyoo| |3:55:00|
    |geodesic|3:44:17|3:59:59|
    |Killian Byrne|4:30:26|4:29:59|
    |Toblerone1978|3:05:23|2:59:59|
    |snailsong|3:12:32|3:09:30|
    |Tyrone_03|3:52:18|3:44:59|
    5394|skeleton_boy|3:28:02|2:54:59|
    |overthebridge|4:23:xx|4:19:59|
    5989|davedanon|3:17:15|3:14:59|
    |rockstar_91|N/A|4:19:59|
    |Crisco10|n/a|3:25:00|
    |Bladeserver|4:26:01|4:10:00|
    |run_Forrest_run|3:24:28|2:59:59|
    5376|JohnDozer|4:09:05|3:44:59|4:07:35|
    |Cabaal|3:33:33|3:19:59|
    |Basster|3:35:09|3:08:00|
    |MacSwifty|3:29:16|3:35:00|
    |bugsy2000|3:26:26|3:17:59|
    2243|Downtime|4:00:58|3:57:00|
    |Figlen|4:22:00|3:39:59|
    |Sideswipe|3:15:33|3:09:59|
    |neilc|3:10:28|3:10:00 <|
    |Running Fool|3:35:07|3:29:59|
    |PaulieC|3:28:31|3:09:59|
    |TakeaBowSon|3:25:04|3:19:59|
    |JohnnyDun|4:01:10|3:58:00|
    |PeterParker100|3:49:11|3:45:00|
    |Slow_Runner|4:10:32|3:55:00|
    |Saucyjack|4:33:34|4:15:00|
    |Tigerandahalf|N/A|3:19:59|
    |echancrure|3:14:15|2:59:59|
    |Narco0o0o0o|N/A|2:45 <|
    |amcgee|3:26|3:35|
    |Jay D|N/A|3:57:26|
    |kingQuez|2:58|3:10:00 <|
    |alsoran|4:52:xx|4:19:59|
    |Tetney|3:43:31|3:29:59 <|
    |wobblemouth|3:01:16|2:59:59 <|
    |jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:59 <|
    |shoottherunner|3:10:56|3:11:00 <|
    |clickhere |N/A |4:29:59 <|
    |bonaparte2|2.59.17|2:59:00 <|DNF|
    |MaggotBrain|N/A|4:10:00|
    |ciaranmac|N/A|4:59:59|
    |Calvin Johnson|3:34:48|3:14:59|
    |Badda Bing|4:31:30|4:10:00|
    |Trampas|3:28:57|3:19:59|
    |Ecoenergy|3:40:28|3:29:59|
    |Nem_e|3:57:43|3:29:59|
    |JoeyRamone|3:39:50|3:09:50|
    |hawkwing|3:58:30|4:09:59|
    |Tipp man running|3:19:38|3:09:55
    263|menoscemo (pacer)|3:04:58|3:39:40|

I think I've done this right!
    Knew from mile 1 the target wasn't happening but managed to salvage a 15 minute PB so I'll take it :) Well done to everyone who ran and all the supporters!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Many thanks to the 4:00 pacers, I tucked in behind them until Clonkeagh, before speeding up slightly to get my planned negative split.

Lovely even pace up to then, allowed me to switch the brain off and enjoy the scenery :)

Wicked sense of humor from one of 4:00 pacers ... overheard coming up to Milltown: "c'mon we're nearly at the 20 mile mark, they say the pain starts at 20 miles!" Classic, got a great laugh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Figlen

Ok, so, I finished and I'm pleased about that. But, I have trained uninjured for the last 8 months and had really put in the training miles to realistically have and expectation of a 3:35 finish. I'm 6' 7" and 100kgs so it took a fair amount of work to get to that point. I did the half in sept in 1:39 and have done a fair few long slow runs around Phoenix park up to a 34k (3hrs) run 3 weeks ago before tapering started.

Today I was at 3:40 pace at 10k and half, but then blew up. The road past crumlin into walkinstown ruined me. The wind and the heat just seemed to have sapped every thing I had. The second half was a disaster, I had to walk most of it and finished in 4:29. I had taken water and gels on board and am at a bit of a loss as to how it all fell apart for me.

I know, the wind, the heat, etc, but I thought I was in the kind of shape that could handle that. As it stands, I have been beaten by the distance and have loudly declared several times since I finished that I am never doing a marathon again! I feel broken! 8 months of solid running have amounted to nothing (not being melodramatic here, I swear)! It's 5, 10 and halfs from now on!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point. He clearly cheated.

He could be a walker - his club is listed as the Quick 8 Walking club and if he started two hours early, he'd have done a relatively even 6 hour quick walk!? Do they start early?

I think there was another guy a couple of years who turned up on the tracking doing something similar (not talking about the infamous guy who was caught cheating two years in a row).

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭geodesic

Bib No.| Username | PB | Predicted Time | Actual Time
    2005|yaboya1|2:59:11|2:59:10|
    42 |Tunguska|2:38:40|2:38:39|
    |Netwerk Errer|3:15:29|2:59:59|
    |Paddybarry|N/A|2:55|
    5116 |Adrian522|N/A|3:48:00|
    |Canine Marathoner|3.09.xx|2:59.59|
    |Fraggle00|4.05.xx|3.45.00|
    |xElDeeX|4:09:xx|3:47:00|3:54:19|
    |Bahanaman|2:57:52 *|2:59:59|
    |dublin runner|2:50:35|2:43:00 <|
    |chavezychavez|3:20:57|3:20:00|
    |RayCun|2:59:06|2:55|
    |AuldManKing||3:40:10|
    |fletch|3:16:26|3:14:59|
    |DogSlySmile|2:59:59|2:49:59|
    |Endurancer123|3:25:59|3:19:59|
    |Mr Freeze|3:50:11|3:38:00|
    |Plodman|3:17:22|2:49:59|
    |dcorcaigh|4:19:40|3:49:49|
    |Pacing Mule| 5:36:53|4:19:00|
    |Martyoo| |3:55:00|
    |geodesic|3:44:17|3:59:59|3:56:58
    |Killian Byrne|4:30:26|4:29:59|
    |Toblerone1978|3:05:23|2:59:59|
    |snailsong|3:12:32|3:09:30|
    |Tyrone_03|3:52:18|3:44:59|
    5394|skeleton_boy|3:28:02|2:54:59|
    |overthebridge|4:23:xx|4:19:59|
    5989|davedanon|3:17:15|3:14:59|
    |rockstar_91|N/A|4:19:59|
    |Crisco10|n/a|3:25:00|
    |Bladeserver|4:26:01|4:10:00|
    |run_Forrest_run|3:24:28|2:59:59|
    5376|JohnDozer|4:09:05|3:44:59|4:07:35|
    |Cabaal|3:33:33|3:19:59|
    |Basster|3:35:09|3:08:00|
    |MacSwifty|3:29:16|3:35:00|
    |bugsy2000|3:26:26|3:17:59|
    2243|Downtime|4:00:58|3:57:00|
    |Figlen|4:22:00|3:39:59|
    |Sideswipe|3:15:33|3:09:59|
    |neilc|3:10:28|3:10:00 <|
    |Running Fool|3:35:07|3:29:59|
    |PaulieC|3:28:31|3:09:59|
    |TakeaBowSon|3:25:04|3:19:59|
    |JohnnyDun|4:01:10|3:58:00|
    |PeterParker100|3:49:11|3:45:00|
    |Slow_Runner|4:10:32|3:55:00|
    |Saucyjack|4:33:34|4:15:00|
    |Tigerandahalf|N/A|3:19:59|
    |echancrure|3:14:15|2:59:59|
    |Narco0o0o0o|N/A|2:45 <|
    |amcgee|3:26|3:35|
    |Jay D|N/A|3:57:26|
    |kingQuez|2:58|3:10:00 <|
    |alsoran|4:52:xx|4:19:59|
    |Tetney|3:43:31|3:29:59 <|
    |wobblemouth|3:01:16|2:59:59 <|
    |jahaco|3:11:49|3:09:59 <|
    |shoottherunner|3:10:56|3:11:00 <|
    |clickhere |N/A |4:29:59 <|
    |bonaparte2|2.59.17|2:59:00 <|DNF|
    |MaggotBrain|N/A|4:10:00|
    |ciaranmac|N/A|4:59:59|
    |Calvin Johnson|3:34:48|3:14:59|
    |Badda Bing|4:31:30|4:10:00|
    |Trampas|3:28:57|3:19:59|
    |Ecoenergy|3:40:28|3:29:59|
    |Nem_e|3:57:43|3:29:59|
    |JoeyRamone|3:39:50|3:09:50|
    |hawkwing|3:58:30|4:09:59|
    |Tipp man running|3:19:38|3:09:55
    263|menoscemo (pacer)|3:04:58|3:39:40|

12 minutes slower than last year, but still happy enough given the ropey 7 week training program (max'd out at 16mi). A 4 minute negative split, so prolly could have went out a little less conversatively, but hey better safe than sorry.

Didn't find the wind a problem, but the heat definitely was an unexpected drag for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Figlen wrote: »
    Ok, so, I finished and I'm pleased about that. But, I have trained uninjured for the last 8 months and had really put in the training miles to realistically have and expectation of a 3:35 finish. I'm 6' 7" and 100kgs so it took a fair amount of work to get to that point. I did the half in sept in 1:39 and have done a fair few long slow runs around Phoenix park up to a 34k (3hrs) run 3 weeks ago before tapering started.

Today I was at 3:40 pace at 10k and half, but then blew up. The road past crumlin into walkinstown ruined me. The wind and the heat just seemed to have sapped every thing I had. The second half was a disaster, I had to walk most of it and finished in 4:29. I had taken water and gels on board and am at a bit of a loss as to how it all fell apart for me.

I know, the wind, the heat, etc, but I thought I was in the kind of shape that could handle that. As it stands, I have been beaten by the distance and have loudly declared several times since I finished that I am never doing a marathon again! I feel broken! 8 months of solid running have amounted to nothing (not being melodramatic here, I swear)! It's 5, 10 and halfs from now on!
    I know its difficult to take but sometimes the marathon does that to you. Even for elite runners the wheels can come off.
    Give yourself time, the memory of today will fade and with a few shorter races you may decide to have another go.
    Don't beat yourself up, you just had a bad day.

Advertisement