Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Sacksian wrote: »
    He could be a walker - his club is listed as the Quick 8 Walking club and if he started two hours early, he'd have done a relatively even 6 hour quick walk!? Do they start early?

I think there was another guy a couple of years who turned up on the tracking doing something similar (not talking about the infamous guy who was caught cheating two years in a row).

yeah he could be a walker that started early, but he could have easily started on time and finished within the cutoff like everyone else.
    He is not in the final results as far as I can see, so that would make me assume he did not have permission to start 2 hrs early or else he cheated and walked straight to the halfway point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The 3rd place pacer hooshing them all in, running back down the course to get them in, fair play.

Smaller group than I was expecting.

That's because they burnt a lot of us off in the phoenix park!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Bahanaman wrote: »

Bit harsh to blame the pacers. It was a tough day out there.

I was pacing 3:10 and found it tough enough myself. Only a handful of runners managed to stay with us from start to finish. We did manage to pick up a few more along the way, thankfully.

You can always see runners struggling from mile 20 to the finish but today the carnage seemed definitely worse than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Had aims of sub 4 and was going great but like what seems to have happened to a few others is Crumlin/Walkinstown just destroyed me. And it wasnt even a gradual thing, it was just a sudden bang. Managed to push myself home in 4:21. Ive done plenty of runs but have never hit a wall like that at that distance before. It was just serious

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭GG21057

I followed the 330 pacer for a good few miles but then realised he was pacing 745 rather than 8 min miles. That was the beginning of the end...

• Advertisement

I followed the 330 pacer for a good few miles but then realised he was pacing 745 rather than 8 min miles. That was the beginning of the end...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

3.30 pacers seemed about bang on when they passed me. Would be unusual for them to get it that wrong - they're generally a reliable & experienced bunch, chosen because of that.

echancrure wrote: »
    DNF for me. Ended up with St John's Ambulance between 20 and 21 miles. Analysis to follow.

So sorry to hear that echancrure! Hope you're ok now. Was such a tough event. The hardest I've done. Didn't get under 3 but 3:02:19 was the best I could've gotten today. We'll be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Anyone know what happened to Merkebu Birke?

http://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUBLINM-2014#b=RBESUXFG&v=ptrack

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

You ran 38:17 for a 10k in Aug which Macmillian would give you a 2:59.37. Now if you just missed out in sub 3 today, then that was an epic run. I don't many that do better than macmillian suggestion.

• Advertisement

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    3.30 pacers seemed about bang on when they passed me. Would be unusual for them to get it that wrong - they're generally a reliable & experienced bunch, chosen because of that.
    True. It is more likely I got it wrong. I got many things wrong today. Ah well, live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Figlen

gerard_65 wrote: »
    I know its difficult to take but sometimes the marathon does that to you. Even for elite runners the wheels can come off.
    Give yourself time, the memory of today will fade and with a few shorter races you may decide to have another go.
    Don't beat yourself up, you just had a bad day.

Thanks Gerard, I appreciate it.

Bit harsh to blame the pacers. It was a tough day out there.

I was pacing 3:10 and found it tough enough myself. Only a handful of runners managed to stay with us from start to finish. We did manage to pick up a few more along the way, thankfully.

You can always see runners struggling from mile 20 to the finish but today the carnage seemed definitely worse than usual.

Not blaming the pacers TFB. Didn't mean for that comment to come across as a complaint. Apologies if it has. We just weren't up to it! Conditions made the 3 hr barrier just that bit too much for a lot of us hopefuls today. I've nothing but admiration for pacers. It's a big sacrifice to give up your own race to help others achieve their goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I definitely noticed the pacer groups were much smaller this year, particularly the 4 hour one. There'd usually be a big gang coming in together, full width of the road at times, but they were pretty scant today in comparison.

rom wrote: »
    You ran 38:17 for a 10k in Aug which Macmillian would give you a 2:59.37. Now if you just missed out in sub 3 today, then that was an epic run. I don't many that do better than macmillian suggestion.

Jaysus that comment is coming across like an awful case of sour grapes! It most definitely wasn't meant that way. I'm over the moon with my run today! The pacers had their job to do and did it to the letter. What I meant was that even at that early stage a lot of three hour hopefuls , myself included, were beginning to realise it wasn't going to happen. It was total carnage (word of the day surely!) from mile 16 on. There were bodies everywhere. It was so tempting at times to just join them and end the suffering! Sorry again if I've offended any of the pacing crew. I reckon the pressure on that task is huge. Rather them than me. Thanks to all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭amcgee

Well it was like a walking dead episode for the last 6 miles.
    I found why heartbreak hill was called such a tough name. Once I got up it I hit the wall. Struggled home via the run walk routine. At one stage I was on for a 3:25, but ended up with 3:32.52,
    The amount of people collapsed on the ground was hard to see and the amount of people who just fell to the ground in front of me was shocking
    I found the first half ok, the second half was really tough with hills and the wind and sun just broke a lot of people.
    Tough day but happy enough with the tine.
    Well done or hard luck to all

BTW ROM do I know you?! Just wondering how you know my 10k time from Aug?

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Hey
    Just home from cheering at the marathon! I was the girl with the 'Hate to see you go...Love to watch you leave' sign, btw! :D Hope you saw me and got a bit of a laugh from it!

I started at Meath Street from 9am, cheered there for a while, then headed for Mile 13, cheered there for an hour or so, then made my way to mile 25 where I cheered for three hours. It was epic. To see you go from the first few miles, to the halfway and then on towards the finish, your determination is legendary!

You marathon runners are really amazing, just getting across the starting line is an achievement. Congrats to everyone for taking part, no matter what time you did or didn't finish in. You're all inspiring just for lacing up the shoes and going for it!

hey there, yes i spotted you, gave me a laugh alright on a day when needed. Thanks for the great support. What a crowd today, never felt anything like it. Well done Dublin on a fantastic day. Castleknock was buzzing? Was that the first time the race passed through?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

Below are the finish times of pacers at DM 2014

Boards Nickname/Pace Band/Finish Time
    Abhainn 3:00 2:59:47
    Marty Rea 3:00 2:59:21
    Frank Q 3:00 2:59:45

TFBubendorfer 3:10 3:09:27
    Trevor P 3:10 3:09:19
    WoundedKnee 3:10 3:09:22

NoGutsNoGlory 3:20 3:19:30
    chrisgrayson 3:20 3:19:30
    brianokelly 3:20 3:19:29

Robert W 3:30 3:27:41
    Beepbeep67 3:30 3:39:19
    Caprica 3:30 3:28:59

Menoscemo 3:40 DNF
    Gavlor 3:40 3:39:21
    AuldManKing 3:40 3:40:05

rolandoe0823 3:50 3:49:28
    ankers99 3:50 3:49:29
    Oliver K 3:50 3:49:30

Marthastew 4:00 3:59:24
    Barry C 4:00 3:59:29
    Gijima 4:00 3:59:32

ger664 4:10 4:09:41
    FBOT01 4:10 4:09:34
    mathso 4:10 4:09:47

Kurt Godel 4:20 4:19:52
    David G 4:20 4:19:49
    runningcoach 4:20 DNF

ultraman1 4:30 4:29:06
    izoard 4:30 4:29:39
    Oisin11178 4:30 4:29:09

Aimman 4:40 4:39:21
    Garman 4:40 4:39:23
    EPT 4:40 4:39:34

Breffni Blue 4:50 4:49:52
    Phelim7 4:50 4:49:49
    dwayneshintzy 4:50 4:49:49

jonny99 5:00 4:59:41
    Sadiebob 5:00 4:59:41
    Paul H 5:00 4:59:41

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Payton

Well done to all who ran today it was awesome. My son ran 4:43 for his first marathon which we are so proud of, and just a quick question. After the marathon which is best a cold or hot bath to rest the muscles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

Wow! How incredible were you all. I was at Clonskeagh cheering for you all. What was so surprising was the reaction I got when I called you out by name.

Some of you gave me a thumbs up, many shouted thanks and someone even winked at me. Unreal.

We had one runner lay down in front of us shouting "cramp cramp" which my OH massaged out for him with his leg in the air - I hope he made it.

This was all about the 20 mile mark.

I also shouted out to the fireman with the "child" on his shoulders and he gave me a right cheery smile back.

Well done everyone!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Wow! How incredible were you all. I was at Clonskeagh cheering for you all. What was so surprising was the reaction I got when I called you out by name.

Some of you gave me a thumbs up, many shouted thanks and someone even winked at me. Unreal.

We had one runner lay down in front of us shouting "cramp cramp" which my OH massaged out for him with his leg in the air - I hope he made it.

This was all about the 20 mile mark.

I also shouted out to the fireman with the "child" on his shoulders and he gave me a right cheery smile back.

Well done everyone!!!

thanks, you were supporting us where we really needed it. Support was amazing today

BTW ROM do I know you?! Just wondering how you know my 10k time from Aug?

No you don't but I am able to read your training log ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

menoscemo wrote: »
    I think you are missing the point. He clearly cheated.

Oops, my bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

My chip time was 3:15.00. Does Boston qualification go on gun time or chip time ? If it's chip time I'm good. Was a tough time out there today, had intended keeping the 3:10 pacers in view til halfway and then catch them, but that didn't really work out. I think more endurance is needed. More and longer LSRs required I think

PaulieC wrote: »
    My chip time was 3:15.00. Does Boston qualification go on gun time or chip time ? If it's chip time I'm good. Was a tough time out there today, had intended keeping the 3:10 pacers in view til halfway and then catch them, but that didn't really work out. I think more endurance is needed. More and longer LSRs required I think

Chip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

PaulieC wrote: »
    My chip time was 3:15.00. Does Boston qualification go on gun time or chip time ?

Chip time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well that was tough bloody going. Started about a minute behind the 3.30 pacers as I knew it was going to be warm and a tough first half with hills and wind. I gradually worked my way through the crowd to be about 20 yards between Dom at Donore (the only pacer I caught all day once running. I could see the others in the distance) when a guy stopped dead in front of me and turned around to get some water from the table. Are some people just in a bubble or what?

Survived that scare and tucked in behind the group going up Crumlin as that's where the group really thinned out. Was besides pacer at 16 miles when the right calf started saying hello but was ok until until Templeogue. The guy in front of me jumped out of the way of a bollard a few yards in from the crowd and I had nowhere to go. Vaulted it as best I could but hit the top of it and somehow landed on both feet which threw both calves in major spasms and nearly pulled out there & then.

Decided to keep going but lost 30 seconds and was hanging on for dear life at the Dropping Well and stayed in big trouble until Clonskeagh when I got a second wind and managed to get back with the pacer and drive up Roebuck and Fosters Avenue. Calves were screaming and the stomach was sick of gels but we had a chat after UCD where they agreed to remain screaming until I finished and leave it at that.

Picked it up at RTE and finally got ahead of the pacer and never looked back over my shoulder for fear of being passed. Big thanks to Super Joe for the shout out and the Rocky theme at 24 miles. Hit 25 miles on 3.20 and dug in to make it home under 3.30. Past 26 with 3 minutes in hand but the finishing line wasn't getting closer and my watch was getting faster. The panic was huge, the stomach was a mess and despite the pain everywhere and runners stopping to a walk and meandering all over the place, I forced myself over in 3.29.xx

I was so spent I couldn't be happy with getting my target and I had nothing to give. I gave a daft interview to someone working for the marathon where I kept repeating my name and made little sense. I hope to God they don't put it up.

The stomach revolved afterwards and was in a bad way at one stage (nearly had to go to hospital) but I'm ok now and can keep food down. 17 degrees for a marathon in late October in Ireland with a strong wind and 4 tough hills or drags make today 'carnage' as someone said.

Big thanks to all who came out today to cheer and volunteer. From the RDS to the finish was a wall of sound and there was great support around the place at Castleknock and Terenure are two that come to mind. Big thanks to Dom the pacer, I have never focused on a flag that much in my life.

No you don't but I am able to read your training log ;)

Doh!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭KillianByrne

Hi, I want to say a huge thanks to the 3 hour pacers, particularly the 3rd guy in the team who kept motivating and pushing the guys at the back of the group. He even came back down Mount street and dragged me up the road by the hand towards the finish line ( I don't actually remember this but was told by my wife afterwards) but at this stage my legs were gone. I do remember him running back a 2nd time and pushing me up Mount Street but I had nothing left in the tank. I fiinished about 20 seconds over 3 hours but gave it everything I had so am happy with the result. The poor guy even came over an apologised afterwards even though no apology was necessary, at that point my brain was fried and I was carted off to the medical tent for an hour+. Hope I didn't ruin his 3 hour goal time.
    Like most others that have commented, I found the combination of the heat and wind very tough and the support incredible.
    I also want to thank the team in the medical tent and the physios who did a great job of re-hydrating me and getting me back on my feet. I'm feeling fine now. Not forgetting all the volunteers today.. Great job!

This is probably you then... http:// http://twitter.com/judyobrienie/status/526835516243996674/photo/1
    Sorry can't get this sorted on the phone, but it's a photo of a runner being lead by the hand by a pacer...

Advertisement