Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

Pm1e wrote: »
    Don't sugar coat it now ya hear :D lol How many have you done? Sure dont HIM and IM athletes love to suffer ;)

Well you asked a question....just giving you the answer.

I've raced two full maras w/ my best a 2:50 last Oct.- am currently training for Frankfurt and hoping to go sub 2:42 or so. If you love suffering by all means go out and run it. Hell, if you really love pain go out at your HM pace and blow up. The problem is its pretty inevitable- if you have no history of doing any sort of long run (and 17km is not long) you will not be able to build up a) the leg strength b) the ability to store glycogen efficiently and c) the ability to work off fat reserves when your glycogen is used up.

Why not start building a base now and properly run one of the Spring marathons like Limerick or CorK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Pm1e

dukeraoul wrote: »

I've raced two full maras w/ my best a 2:50 last Oct.- am currently training for Frankfurt and hoping to go sub 2:42 or so. If you love suffering by all means go out and run it. Hell, if you really love pain go out at your HM pace and blow up. The problem is its pretty inevitable- if you have no history of doing any sort of long run (and 17km is not long) you will not be able to build up a) the leg strength b) the ability to store glycogen efficiently and c) the ability to work off fat reserves when your glycogen is used up.

Why not start building a base now and properly run one of the Spring marathons like Limerick or CorK?

I hear you, I ran the Rock n Roll half marathon in August in 1:42 and had a whole lot left in the tank. Just took it steady as it was the first outing and wanted to have it done pre HIM. I am registered for DCM so will go ahead and do it anyway I just wanted to gauge the thoughts of those in the running know on what I can do in 6 weeks. When I said 17km that was what I was running in one sitting pre half mara on a weekly basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭frash

I hear you, I ran the Rock n Roll half marathon in August in 1:42 and had a whole lot left in the tank. Just took it steady as it was the first outing and wanted to have it done pre HIM. I am registered for DCM so will go ahead and do it anyway I just wanted to gauge the thoughts of those in the running know on what I can do in 6 weeks. When I said 17km that was what I was running in one sitting pre half mara on a weekly basis.

Seeing as it's your first attempt you might want to have a read through the novices' thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204941

Have to agree with dukeraoul though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

As I said, the main thing is finishing, and your biggest problem is the lack of miles in your legs, particularly in terms of individual runs. Try to run 18 miles at any pace at all, and your legs will be telling you you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. On my very first marathon as a callow 20 year-old, I made the mistake of A) not training enough, B) not doing enough long runs, and C) assuming that a half-marathon race would suffice instead of running even a single 20 miler. Bad move. I sailed along merrily for almost exactly 13.1 miles, at 3.30 pace, then BOOM. Gone baby gone. And in those days the race went through my hometown of Raheny at 20 miles. It wasn't a pretty sight. I probably did well to finish in 3.48

davedanon wrote: »
    As I said, the main thing is finishing, and your biggest problem is the lack of miles in your legs, particularly in terms of individual runs. Try to run 18 miles at any pace at all, and your legs will be telling you you're not in Kansas anymore, Toto. On my very first marathon as a callow 20 year-old, I made the mistake of A) not training enough, B) not doing enough long runs, and C) assuming that a half-marathon race would suffice instead of running even a single 20 miler. Bad move. I sailed along merrily for almost exactly 13.1 miles, at 3.30 pace, then BOOM. Gone baby gone. And in those days the race went through my hometown of Raheny at 20 miles. It wasn't a pretty sight. I probably did well to finish in 3.48

Thanks for the insight mate. Will just have to dig deep and get it done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

If you've been out running the route lately, the mile markers are down.
    Mile Marker #22 - top of Fosters Avenue - down hill all the way from here!

Good news is that, it is a much more direct route back into town for the finish - no faffing around Pearse St., etc...smile.png

15233225336_6732d891f4_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Izoard wrote: »
    If you've been out running the route lately, the mile markers are down.
    Mile Marker #22 - top of Fosters Avenue - down hill all the way from here!

Good news is that, it is a much more direct route back into town for the finish - no faffing around Pearse St., etc...smile.png

15233225336_6732d891f4_z.jpg
    But the faffing around Pearse street was the best bit :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

Well the training plan I'm on has only hit 19 km with recommended weekly distances of 40km so he/she is not that far behind.

... So long as they get into a training programme properly. They're pretty much at week 6 of my 12 week beginners map my run programme.

Look up beginner marathon plan on map my run and start on week 7. You're pretty much on target. I'm a novice by the way but a plan is a plan.

ezra_pound wrote: »
    Look up beginner marathon plan on map my run and start on week 7. You're pretty much on target. I'm a novice by the way but a plan is a plan.

*Breathes a sigh of relief. For the next 6 weeks I will be covering almost 100km per week. I know myself that I am very good at getting through things no matter what but just wanted to hear it from some of the more experienced runners. Thanks for your input, how are you set for it? He btw ;)

• Advertisement

Ososlo wrote: »

I'd expect the crowds will be nicely built up from the RDS, in.

Having paced DCM for the past number of years, no one was ever too thrilled to run past the finish and head down Westland row for that bonus mile...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well the training plan I'm on has only hit 19 km with recommended weekly distances of 40km so he/she is not that far behind.

... So long as they get into a training programme properly. They're pretty much at week 6 of my 12 week beginners map my run programme.

that sounds like a seriously light plan for a marathon :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Lex Luther

Agreed ! and I'll miss in particular the final bend around Trinity College at College Green and the huge crowds there and all the way down Nassau Street ...:(

RayCun wrote: »
    that sounds like a seriously light plan for a marathon :confused:

Well I only started running in June so my plan is to run the marathon, not race the marathon. It's a beginner plan.

The next few weeks increase from 54 km per week with 21km long run to 87km two weeks before marathon with 32km long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

No, it bloody well wasn't. I won't miss farking Grand Canal mountain/bridge either.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Well I only started running in June so my plan is to run the marathon, not race the marathon. It's a beginner plan.

The next few weeks increase from 54 km per week with 21km long run to 87km two weeks before marathon with 32km long run.

Okay, then you'll have a solid long run in before the marathon, and a heavy week. That looks like a serious ramp up in difficulty though.
    If you haven't already,I'd recommend reading the Novices thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

davedanon wrote: »
    No, it bloody well wasn't. I won't miss farking Grand Canal mountain/bridge either.

The real Heartbreak Hill :pac:

RayCun wrote: »
    Okay, then you'll have a solid long run in before the marathon, and a heavy week. That looks like a serious ramp up in difficulty though.
    If you haven't already,I'd recommend reading the Novices thread

I wasn't eligible for the novices thread when the programme started. I couldn't run more than 2km when I started in June but I've been building up steadily. My aim is 0 to marathon in 5 months. I'm now 6 weeks away from that goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

No Heartbreak Hill over the canal but a slower course in my opinion. I say that very relucantly but the first half of the course is slower in my opinion. The miles up Chesterfield Avenue and up to Castleknock should not run at marathon pace.

I wasn't eligible for the novices thread when the programme started. I couldn't run more than 2km when I started in June but I've been building up steadily. My aim is 0 to marathon in 5 months. I'm now 6 weeks away from that goal.

No offense but that is pretty silly on lots of levels...

• Advertisement

You're ignoring the fact that they haven't run for a month but sure whatever. If people wanna hurt themselves/ have unpleasant experiences by ignoring sensible advise from runners (of all levels) of vastly more experience. I echo other posters here- head over to the novices thread. Excellent plan/ advise given there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

If you're definitely doing dcm you should join us on the novices thread. We are a friendly welcoming bunch over there ;)

If the goal is to "just finish", then it is easily doable.

The average (median) finishing time in most big city marathons is ~4:35 and slowing each year, so most people are in this category.

..its just that a lot of people here who know a lot about running (much more than me) and who also started from scratch and progressed to a marathon over a sensible period...are reading this thinking that you are heading for a world of unnecessary pain Ezra...good luck

Izoard wrote: »
    If the goal is to "just finish", then it is easily doable.

The average (median) finishing time in most big city marathons is ~4:35 and slowing each year, so most people are in this category.

if the goal is "just finish" then the 26.2 miles can be completed with no training at all. Seems kind of pointless though. But each to their own.

You're ignoring the fact that they haven't run for a month but sure whatever. If people wanna hurt themselves/ have unpleasant experiences by ignoring sensible advise from runners (of all levels) of vastly more experience. I echo other posters here- head over to the novices thread. Excellent plan/ advise given there

Not ignoring any advice, just taking it all on board and very appreciative of it too btw. Will post back here with time when the day is done ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

If the poster really wants to run, then run. It's that simple.

I think dukeraoul etc. are just doing their civic duty in informing the poster on the difficulty of the undertaking. If the poster still wants to run the marathon in light of this then best of luck to them.

Well I'm on a training plan for the marathon that I was eligible to start. So far so good... Doing the half this week. I mightn't make it to the big goal on 27 October but at least I'll be up and running half marathons r rather than sitting at home not able to run mare than 2 k. But I hope I make it.

Lex Luther wrote: »
    if the goal is "just finish" then the 26.2 miles can be completed with no training at all. Seems kind of pointless though. But each to their own.

Exactly - the stats show that the majority doing the marathon are there to "just finish".
    For better or worse, it is a shrinking minority who are there to race...

• Advertisement

Lex Luther wrote: »
    ..its just that a lot of people here who know a lot about running (much more than me) and who also started from scratch and progressed to a marathon over a sensible period...are reading this thinking that you are heading for a world of unnecessary pain Ezra...good luck

Thanks. I'm not going to push it too hard. If I don't make it then so be it... Next year. But I'm on a training plan and I'm doing it.

Advertisement