Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City marathon

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

Ososlo wrote: »
    If you could keep that 10k pace up for the duration (highly unlikely if you were walking at a brisk effort) then about 6:25.
    Well over 6:30 I'd say.

:confused: Not in my calculator. 1:22 pace for 10k would be 5:45 for a marathon.

I had a work colleague walk DCM twice and if I remember correctly she came fairly close to 6:30 on one occasion. She wouldn't exactly be the sport type, so I think anyone used to brisk walking pace should be able to get reasonably close to 6 hours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

:confused: Not in my calculator. 1:22 pace for 10k would be 5:45 for a marathon.

I had a work colleague walk DCM twice and if I remember correctly she came fairly close to 6:30 on one occasion. She wouldn't exactly be the sport type, so I think anyone used to brisk walking pace should be able to get reasonably close to 6 hours.

Going by McMillan, a 1:22 10k comes in at 6:24:43 unless I'm missing something...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

I'm guessing the 6:30 estimation takes my pace slowly dropping into consideration where as 5:45 would be with a steady 1:22 pace (which I know myself is highly unlikely to happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,626 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Going by McMillan, a 1:22 10k comes in at 6:24:43 unless I'm missing something...
    McMillan assumes longer distances mean a slower pace. If they did the whole thing at the same pace as their 10k, they would finish in ~5:45

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    McMillan assumes longer distances mean a slower pace. If they did the whole thing at the same pace as their 10k, they would finish in ~5:45

Which would be pretty realistic surely?

• Advertisement

Yes, but...
    If you could keep that 10k pace up for the duration (highly unlikely if you were walking at a brisk effort) then about 6:25.
    :)

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    Yes, but...

:)
    gotcha:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Under N4 to Ballyfermot Rd ( always a sickner that nobody speaks of...)

Agree, really a really sneaky one alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I'd assume (could be wrong) it's less lilkely for your walking pace to drop off than your running pace. At leasy it wouldn't slow as badly...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

It ain't so :D

Calm down, calm down. I don't think it will make much of a difference. 90% of the course is still the same as always and it's not as if there is a major mountain climb in the new section.

I dont know about that TFB. I went over the new course on the rothar and its definitely a harder route. I'll post up a new course breakdown mile by mile but I think trying to run even splits on this course is suicide, defo a very tactical and savy approach is required to get the best out of yourself on the day......My advice for anybody looking for a specific time: Study the course thoroughly, make a plan. Dont just turn up on the day without prior knowledge of the lay of the land because you'll be in for a few surprises(and not in a good way).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭TheTubes

tunguska wrote: »
    I dont know about that TFB. I went over the new course on the rothar and its definitely a harder route. I'll post up a new course breakdown mile by mile but I think trying to run even splits on this course is suicide, defo a very tactical and savy approach is required to get the best out of yourself on the day......My advice for anybody looking for a specific time: Study the course thoroughly, make a plan. Dont just turn up on the day without prior knowledge of the lay of the land because you'll be in for a few surprises(and not in a good way).

Would the pacers be looking to even split or would they likely be very familiar with the course?
    I'm thinking about following the 3:30 pacer but might let myself drop off/catch up if that's a better strategy?

Is the route/elevation here accurate?
    http://www.strava.com/running-races/2014-dublin-marathon#course-info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭dukeraoul

+1 I said it up thread but everybody dismissed it. I live 1.5 miles from the PP and run there everyday. I've run the route from Hueston to Castleknick a few times now and I'm not a fan. Dublin Runner said it a few posts ago - unless it's managed correctly it'll be a race killer for some.

Like I said earlier if the Rock and Roll crowd threw us a course like this, people would be hammering 'em.

That's it for me though on this thread- I've made my choice and opted out of DCM so not fair for me to keep on about it...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

TheTubes wrote: »
    Would the pacers be looking to even split or would they likely be very familiar with the course?
    I'm thinking about following the 3:30 pacer but might let myself drop off/catch up if that's a better strategy?

Is the route/elevation here accurate?
    http://www.strava.com/running-races/2014-dublin-marathon#course-info

Yeah absolutely thats the best strategy. Run your race, forget about pacers or groups. If people want to run with you, fine let them, but dont run to somebody elses tune. I'll say it again just to be clear: ALWAYS RUN YOUR OWN RACE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Yeah absolutely thats the best strategy. Run your race, forget about pacers or groups. If people want to run with you, fine let them, but dont run to somebody elses tune. I'll say it again just to be clear: ALWAYS RUN YOUR OWN RACE

I totally agree with this. Pacers don't do it for me at all, and I'm not trying to put them down in any way. For most people they're a boon, and I'm sure most of them do a pretty good job, but in every marathon I've run since 2009, 7 in all, I've never wanted or needed to go with the pacers. If anything, they put me off. It can be horribly dispiriting having a huge mass of people catch you up, and then leave you behind. Also, it's bad for me psychologically, running at someone else's pace. I've noticed on training runs that I feel better at the head of the group, and worse if there are people ahead of me. Running track intervals I always feel easier when I'm leading, regardless of the distance. It's a funny thing, this running game.

ps: Irony of ironies. Maybe I'm a born pacer!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭TFBubendorfer

TheTubes wrote: »

The pacers will be running even pace. Or, at least, that' s what they will be trying to do. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

The pacers will be running even pace. Or, at least, that' s what they will be trying to do. ;)

But is that a wise choice given the course as others appear (?) to be suggesting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    But is that a wise choice given the course as others appear (?) to be suggesting.

I'm organising the pacer groups, so in that respect I want all the pacers singing from the same hymnsheet- and that's what TFB says above. Pacers will run steady, even splits, all the way around, as they have done successfully for the past few years. The course isn't much different than previous. There's a few up/downs after Chesterfield back down to the Liffey, but nothing that merits caution IMO. Check out the profile and the elevation gained/lost. No big deal, and anyone looking to run steady and hit a specific time (10-min intervals from 3:00 to 5:00) would be best served by running steady with/between one of the pace groups. Sure there will be a few seconds variance between up/down km's, but not much.

As with any other pacing gig, this is the optimal strategy to get the largest amount around in their goal time. It's not for everyone of course, plenty of ways to skin a cat. I doubt anyone racing would follow a pace group all the way around.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    More than 30km of the course is identical to last year's.

I think the course is slightly tougher, but only because of the long drag up Chesterfield. Don't forget, the route from the top of O'Connell St to Phibsboro Church is a pretty tough run too, and it's been entirely removed and replaced with a stretch along the Liffey, which is about as flat as you can get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

The climb to Chesterfield wont do the damage its the trying to make up the lost time on the descent afterwards that will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

ger664 wrote: »
    The climb to Chesterfield wont do the damage its the trying to make up the lost time on the descent afterwards that will.

Sometimes it's just the descent. In Derry this year there was a fair amount of hard climbing in the first 10 miles after we crossed the river and headed west. I coped fine that. Our 'reward' then was a fairly steep descent to the river. I clocked 7.02 and 7.05 miles in succession, and when we levelled out along the river, and I started running 7-twenty-something miles again, that was when the first onset of tiredness occurred.

• Advertisement

Jaysus you'd swear you were all doing this race the way ye're going on about yer climbs and mountains.
    I'm sure there're still places in Berlin if anyone can't handle it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

Jaysus you'd swear you were all doing this race the way ye're going on about yer climbs and mountains.

Wouldn't dismiss it as easily personally especially when how you approach the course can give you anything up to a 5 min swing between a very good day and getting on board the "sufferbus" irregardless of training.

Ran a bit of the course over the last few weeks and there are a few observations I would make in relation to the changes

- Don't be a hero trying to maintain MP up chesterfield, you will lose time in first half of the race between this and the stretch up Crumlin road especially as most likely where you are gonna have a head wind

- Don't try and make back the time on the down hill after Chesterfield/ Castleknock, all you are doing is shredding your quads which at the time you probably won't feel but later in the race this will kick in especially when you take into account....

-.... Roebuck hill is a bit later than usual, don't treat the first half of the course with respect and there could be some horror shows around here

This is not a comment on the difficulty of the course but rather take into account the most efficient way to run it, tactics play a role in all forms of running (sure even track races include best approaches to racing and they are completely flat ;) )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

I'm sure there isn't. Unless you're talking about 2015? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

My understanding is that the pussies are going to Frankfurt :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 873 ✭✭✭Casey78

Just wondering why everyone is warning about Chesterfield Avenue. I've ran it loads of times in training and never found it particularly difficult.
    Is it because its a long stretch? I know there is a slight incline from the gate to the first roundabout but the rest is flat enough isn't it?
    Not doubting any of the advice was just wondering is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Chesterfield Avenue is most definitely not flat. Run the length of it with your Garmin and have a look at the profile afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Casey78 wrote: »
    Just wondering why everyone is warning about Chesterfield Avenue. I've ran it loads of times in training and never found it particularly difficult.
    Is it because its a long stretch? I know there is a slight incline from the gate to the first roundabout but the rest is flat enough isn't it?
    Not doubting any of the advice was just wondering is all.

It is all gradually uphill, from Parkgate to Castleknock. Nothing major but a long enough drag

RayCun wrote: »
    My understanding is that the pussies are going to Frankfurt :)

oh sorry I got them mixed up:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

I've looked at the previous years profile versus this years... there isn't any extra climb this year. Previous years also went up Chesterfield (granted not as far); the vast majority of the route is identical. If people want to suggest banking time or whatever as race strategy's, well and good- but its disingenuous to suggest there are significant material differences between this years course and previous years. Be the judge for yourselves:

Previous years map with elevation.

This years course

This years elevation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    I've looked at the previous years profile versus this years... there isn't any extra climb this year. Previous years also went up Chesterfield (granted not as far); the vast majority of the route is identical. If people want to suggest banking time or whatever as race strategy's, well and good- but its disingenuous to suggest there are significant material differences between this years course and previous years. Be the judge for yourselves:

Previous years map with elevation.

This years course

This years elevation.

I agree, the route always went up most of the Chesterfield Av (from the zoo to furze rd) and from the Furze Rd to Castleknock Gate (on the new route) the Avenue is virtually flat I think??

The only difference I can see is that while there was previously a long and almost imperceptible 3mile drag up the NCS to the P Park; we will now be taking all that elevation gain from the Conyngham Rd gate up a far as the Zoo (about 1k??). So 1 slow KM and the rest is pretty much the same as before....

Advertisement