Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HEAR students? did u get reduced points?

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭

Hey guys just wondering did any of ye get into ucd with the reduced points and if so were ye far off or do ye know how far any other people were off and still got in? I know it says you're eligible if you're 15% off but is that a realistic range?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

Hi OP,

You'd probably be best to contact the Student Desk on campus, or maybe even the programme office for the course you're interested in. As far as I know, students on both the HEAR and DARE programmes do have a certain leeway with regards to points, but how much I'm not sure. For some reason I thought it was 10% but I could be wrong, so I'd definitely recommend checking it with someone official.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Phyrexian

If you haven't applied it's waaay too late for you to apply to HEAR or DARE - deadline's April.

If you have applied, read on!

Misconceptions about HEAR / DARE - that there's a certain percentage you can get off the points. Or that it's random or something :s. Firstly, the scheme is not there for that purpose it exists to counteract the ridiculous educational disadvantage you get in DEIS schools.

Here's how it works. Basically, instead of "competing" against everyone who was spoonfed in a grinds school, you "race" for the points against the other HEAR students. Same for the DARE students. If you have both you race in both.

If you "get" the points, you get the in the course like a non-HEAR/DARE applicant, but you are still a HEAR/DARE student and get all the perks (in UCD for HEAR students this is extra money and support yay). You then take one of the HEAR spots on the course.

If you beat all the other HEAR students, you still get your spot, as you got the highest points, you won, you rock! So you could get in just the matriculation (passing English and Irish or whatever the matriculation is for your course), if you're the only HEAR student who applied. A course could be 600 and a HEAR student could get in on 50, who knows. As long as you do better than everyone else.

So - I can't tell you how much less than the required points you need - it depends on how well the other HEAR students do compared to you!

Some anecdotes: I once met someone who got into Business with Law 80 points under and I know a Science student who got 70 points less (I think both of those courses are still around 500 points). I know someone who got 290 and got Arts - which was 360 at the time. I also know people who say only scored 5 points under - so obviously they were first into the course above the other HEAR students.

If everyone else does really well, no HEAR students might get "reduced points". 10% is not the amount. It is random. Sorry I can't give you more advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭Mr Pseudonym

Phyrexian wrote: »
    A course could be 600 and a HEAR student could get in on 50, who knows.

Are you sure you're that's correct? Trinity requires that a HEAR/DARE applicant be within a certain percentage of the minimum.

Advertisement