Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neocate

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭

Hi guys after 4 months of hardship and v little for baby and parents and after umerous trips to osteopaths GP's pharmacists and eventually consultant in Blackrock we think we have sorted our baby's problem out. Long story short he is been prescribed the formula neocate as consultant suspects he's allergic to an ingredient in regular formula. Although baby is much better he never sleeps more than 2-3 hours and demands bottle as soon as he awakes. Due to original problem he was over stimulated and held far to often as a new born but I'm wondering has anyone any experience of baby on neocate and what was their sleeping pattern. He is a fine big baby but never drinks more that 4-5 ounces and regularly only drinks 3 ounces. I'm not concerned about his intake in general but rather how often he wakes esp. At night . I sometimes think because formula is so light is that the reason he wakes as he is hungry due to this. We have started solids on advice of doc for daytime feeds but he still wakes up constantly. Any advice welcome from very tired parents.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I'm sorry but I can't see how a baby could be deemed a over carried? my babies were carried in a sling for all naps and slept beside me in bed until their colic passed. from 14 weeks to 26 weeks they gradually extended their night time sleep from 2 hour blocks to 7 hours straight, I then moved them to their cot and within a few months they were sleeping 7 to 7 with a dream feed around 12 am.

on the in take, my first only took 1oz at a time buy finally would take 4oz at 7 and then another 3oz dream feed at 12, then another bottle at 7, anymore than that and it came up. she just wasn't able for it. as long as she went back after each feed I didn't mind.

I think if baby has had a hard time they need to associate bed with a good feeling, not just pain.

try putting your worn night dress in their cot do they can feel close to you, but I would say ween them into the cot and they will grow to love their bed.

I did what I had to do to get then to nap and sleep, weather that was sling and swaying, lying down beside them, putting them on my chest, etc.

then once they became used to this I took away the means until they just went to bed with the mobile and self soothed.

At that time during the day they wanted a nap after being awake for 2 hours. as soon as I saw the signs I started the motions to a nap.

also make sure you are some how getting time to your self and sharing feeds with a partner if possible. just one night a week when you know you'll get straight sleep can keep you sain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You only just got a formula the little guy can tolerate... Give it a few weeks.

My baby is 11 wks old, and has only twice gone more than 3 hours between feeds. She has a bit of reflux, so can't keep much down. Their stomachs are really tiny at this age. I know loads of babies do the 4 hours from much earlier, my eldest did. But all babies are different, some take a bit longer.

Look at his fist, that's the size of their tummy. As he grows he will be able to take more and space out the feeds.

It won't be forever.

(And i agree it's not being over-held... No such thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

ok its just GP suggested as he was constantly held in arms due to his intense crying he prob doesnt like it now been left lying down and that he prefers been held. anyway thats not really the issue. He is on neocate around 5 weeks now but still hasnt increased his intake and still wakes same time give or take a half hour every night. Im thinking unless he increases intake he will never go beyond 2/3 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Ah, gotcha.

how do the days go? Does he sleep longer when you go for a walk in the buggy even though he hasn't consumed more food?

Could you change the time of the day you give the solid food, Maybe closer to bedtime (though this did not agree with my kids, they were visibly digesting their food well into 8 or 9 months. )

Maybe the PHN could be worth a call as they seem to handle these type of nutritional queries well.

All I can say is things will get better!

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭dekbhoy

We are trying him now at different times with solids to see what happens. We have made strides since the neocate was introduced. He is no longer crying constantly and intensely. Maybe its just a waiting game and thats fine considering were we have come from . Thank you for replies

• Advertisement
Advertisement