Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westgate and TEFL in Japan.

Options
  • 22-05-2014 10:41pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone has worked at this company and how was the experience? I applied for a job a few days ago with them. Seems pretty legit from what I gather,although I hear there can be quite a commute. Always good to get a first hand account though!How is the housing ? And how would 280,000 yen be for a salary in Tokyo? I think they take out 70,000 for accommodation. Would be partial to be a bit of clubbing /beers at the weekend!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Also, they are accepting applications for the next couple of weeks I think if anyone is interested! 6month and 9 month contracts.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Hi,

You should go to the Japan forum of Dave's eslcafe at this link:
    http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewforum.php?f=11

If you register on the site, you will be able to use the 'search' function to narrow your search down to 'Westgate.' It's a bit more tedious scrolling through the forums, but it might take a day or two to get registered on the site as the big man 'Dave' has to approve your application :-) By the way, be aware that there are a lot of whiners, moaners and keyboard warriors on this site that would scare off anyone. Just put on your level-headed cap as you can get lots of relevant information on there, too.

A lot of jobs in those kind of places involve a long commute, often up to an hour and a half, I've heard but that's only going on hearsay. I presume you get re-imbursed for travel????

I would guess housing is compact as is the case in Japan. I have heard that with Westgate there is a 'No visitors after 10pm' policy with the housing. I also hear that this is rarely followed by the tenants and easy to get away with :-) Might be worth exploring further. Often when you take housing with these schools, you end up paying more than if you found your own place. Do you have the option of finding your own housing?

280, 000 sounds like a reasonably good first time salary in Japan. Will you be working many hours? Generally, the starting salaries advertised in Japan are around 250, 000, so you are getting above average.

I'd imagine you'd have clubbing/beer opportunities aplenty in Tokyo. Lucky you!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

Cheers choccie, I'm all to aware of the moaners on Dave's so I thought I might get a more balanced view here! Yeah they reimburse your flight up to 1000 dollars. Heard some mixed reviews of the company and the info I got seems a bit dated so hoping to get a more balanced, relevant insight on here! Surely someone on boards can give a quick run down on the tefl scene in Tokyo!?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Choccie Lover

Maybe post over in the 'Japan' forum under the 'Region' tab. I know some people on it have taught in Japan before, but I haven't seen any of them over here in the 'Teaching Abroad' forum :)

Advertisement