Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fungi that kill only cypress trees in Ireland

• 22-05-2014 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Want to know of any fungi or bacteria or even viruses that attack only cypress trees that are found in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,678 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Fungi and bacteria don't tend to have nationalist tendencies :-). Have you got something killing your trees, or are you looking to kill some trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

Just wondering is there something specific that kills cypress as yes I do want to kill off some trees before removing them without threatening a nearby woodland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Let me guess, lleylandi?! You could ring bark them.

Let me guess, lleylandi?! You could ring bark them.

It's difficult to get in their for girdling it covered by a tough metal fencing, bramble so I was wondering if biological means ie a specific fungi, bacteria or even pest could be used.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are they your trees?

• Advertisement

are they your trees?

Yes behind them is acres of pasture/grass land used by local farmers the local woodlands full of oak more native tree species is adjacent to the trees I want removed.im the last house on my road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The problem with unleashing bacteria of fungus is that they would hardly limit themselves to your trees and could become a countrywide scourge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Pay a tree surgeon to remove them safely.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,847 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i reckon ring barking them is your only option, the question as to whether they were yours was prompted by the comment about them being fenced off; it sounded like they were not your fences.

i reckon ring barking them is your only option, the question as to whether they were yours was prompted by the comment about them being fenced off; it sounded like they were not your fences.

They were fenced off by previous owner to prevent wildlife coming in as well as the livestock that graze in the fields next door my entire garden is even fenced off from the woods. So there really is no pest or disease that can be controlled to attack only cypress

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

They were fenced off by previous owner to prevent wildlife coming in as well as the livestock that graze in the fields next door my entire garden is even fenced off from the woods. So there really is no pest or disease that can be controlled to attack only cypress
    You might find one that would attack only cypress, but if the spores got airborne, which they would, it would attack any and all cypress that it came across.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

No there isn't, thank God, we wouldn't want every lunatic running amok now would we.
    What's wrong with the old fashioned method of using a herbicide, or just plain cutting them down?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭My Potatoes

Hammer a few copper nails into each tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 159 ✭✭Northumbria

I ring barked an sickly apple tree last year, yet somehow it lives, although weakly. I don't get it.

Advertisement