If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surround (rear) speakers needed

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I currently run a 3.1 system consisting of 2x Mission M33i, Cambridge Audio S50 (centre) and S90 subwoofer - all hooked up to Pioneer 323. All above rather low end gear purchased from you recently for relatively small amount of money:D. Sound is great despite the money invested.

I wish to buy some rear speakers to take a full advantage of a surround sound and need a bit of an advice (and some offers I can't refuse).

The room is rather small and thinking of a "mobile" solution - easy to hide for day to day watching and handy enough when watching HD movies. Have an useless table sitting in a corner that can be placed easily 2-3m behind the sofa prior to watching.
    Do you think getting a bookshelf speaker would do the job?
    Any alternatives out there for a stand mounted speakers (with stands included)?
    Wall mounting not possible btw.

Budget is 100- 150 for a pair, don't need anything fancy really. Something to fit in nicely with what I have now. I do like the CA gear I have, not to mention the high gloss finish and sound on the S90 - it really was a great purchase.

Let me know what you think, buying next week so no pressure:D .

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

wonski wrote: »
    Hi guys,
    I currently run a 3.1 system consisting of 2x Mission M33i, Cambridge Audio S50 (centre) and S90 subwoofer - all hooked up to Pioneer 323. All above rather low end gear purchased from you recently for relatively small amount of money:D. Sound is great despite the money invested.

I wish to buy some rear speakers to take a full advantage of a surround sound and need a bit of an advice (and some offers I can't refuse).

The room is rather small and thinking of a "mobile" solution - easy to hide for day to day watching and handy enough when watching HD movies. Have an useless table sitting in a corner that can be placed easily 2-3m behind the sofa prior to watching.

Budget is 100- 150 for a pair, don't need anything fancy really. Something to fit in nicely with what I have now. I do like the CA gear I have, not to mention the high gloss finish and sound on the S90 - it really was a great purchase.

Hi Wonski.

Apologies for the delay in getting a reply to you.

I don't really have a mobile solution for rear speakers.
    In saying that they could be moved when not in use.

To match up with your system you could look at the Cambridge SX50 which are priced at £129.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/sx50/camb-sx50-blk

You could maybe look a the Min11 or Min 21 speakers:

MIN11 priced at £59.95 (EACH)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/minx-min11/camb-minx-min11-blk

MIN21 priced at £99.95 (EACH)
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/minx-min21/camb-minx-min21-blk

Stands can also be purchased for these priced at £79.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands/cambridge-audio/minx-ca600p/camb-minx-ca6000-blk

Let me know if any of these catch your eye or if you have seen any others that might interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Hi guys,

Hi Wonski.

To match up with your system you could look at the Cambridge SX50 which are priced at £129.95
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/sx50/camb-sx50-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/minx-min11/camb-minx-min11-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/standmount-speakers/cambridge-audio/minx-min21/camb-minx-min21-blk

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-stands/cambridge-audio/minx-ca600p/camb-minx-ca6000-blk

Let me know if any of these catch your eye or if you have seen any others that might interest you.
    The SX50 looks too big for my needs - 3kg each is a bit too much. Don't need that power for the rears tbh.
    The MIN11 fits the bill nicely (0.4kg), and looking at the stands now it seems to be the best solution. Only if they didn't cost that much (the stands)... The only question is if they are ok to go with what I have now? 50W should be more than enough I guess and should be asier to drive with the Pioneer than the 100W SX50, or does it matter at all (the power rating i mean)?

If you can offer afree / reduced delivery on 2xMIN11 and the stands I will think about this. Will need 20m of cable, too - if you could quote me for all delivered to Co. Kildare that would be great.
    Will have a look at other options over the rest of the weekend and see if there is anything else of interest.

Thanks again,and let me know what you think.

Hi guys,

Hi Wonski.

The SX50 looks too big for my needs - 3kg each is a bit too much. Don't need that power for the rears tbh.
    The MIN11 fits the bill nicely (0.4kg), and looking at the stands now it seems to be the best solution. Only if they didn't cost that much (the stands)... The only question is if they are ok to go with what I have now? 50W should be more than enough I guess and should be asier to drive with the Pioneer than the 100W SX50, or does it matter at all (the power rating i mean)?

If you can offer afree / reduced delivery on 2xMIN11 and the stands I will think about this. Will need 20m of cable, too - if you could quote me for all delivered to Co. Kildare that would be great.
    Will have a look at other options over the rest of the weekend and see if there is anything else of interest.

Hey Wonski.

The Min11 would run with your system no problems. 

The Wattage rating is there to give an indication of the amount of power the amp will need to produce to run the speakers. The lower the Watts the less energy the amp will be required to out put to drive the speakers.
    In saying that if you had an amp that was rated a lot higher than your speakers and ran it at high volumes you would risk over driving your speakers and causing them some damage.

The best deal I could offer on:

MIN11 x2 (1Pair)
    Minx stands x 1 Pair
    20m Speaker cable
    Delivery

Would be £200.00 all in.

Hope this helps a little on the budget. Let me know what you think.

Hi guys,

Hi Wonski.

Hey Wonski.

The Wattage rating is there to give an indication of the amount of power the amp will need to produce to run the speakers. The lower the Watts the less energy the amp will be required to out put to drive the speakers.
    In saying that if you had an amp that was rated a lot higher than your speakers and ran it at high volumes you would risk over driving your speakers and causing them some damage.

MIN11 x2 (1Pair)
    Minx stands x 1 Pair
    20m Speaker cable
    Delivery

Would be £200.00 all in.

If you can wait till Wednesday , I am more than happy with that quote. I rather order after payday:o

It is only a matter of time when I get a new TV from you guys (and i know the one i have is just fine), top class service, I wish all the stores were like yours. Thanks again, speak to you soon.

Hi guys,

Hi Wonski.

Hey Wonski.

MIN11 x2 (1Pair)
    Minx stands x 1 Pair
    20m Speaker cable
    Delivery

Would be £200.00 all in.

If you can wait till Wednesday , I am more than happy with that quote. I rather order after payday:o

It is only a matter of time when I get a new TV from you guys (and i know the one i have is just fine), top class service, I wish all the stores were like yours. Thanks again, speak to you soon.
    Hi Wonski.

No problem at all and thank you for the kind words!

I have popped the order onto our system to hold the stock and the price for you.

Let me know on Wednesday when you are ready and I can give you a call.

Enjoy your weekend :D

• Advertisement

Hi guys,

Hi Wonski.

Hey Wonski.

MIN11 x2 (1Pair)
    Minx stands x 1 Pair
    20m Speaker cable
    Delivery

Would be £200.00 all in.

Hi Wonski.

No problem at all and thank you for the kind words!

I have popped the order onto our system to hold the stock and the price for you.

Let me know on Wednesday when you are ready and I can give you a call.

Enjoy your weekend :D
    Perfect, thanks for that.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.