Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons for Choosing Motorbike

• 22-05-2014 11:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭

What was your decision to learn to ride & purchase a motorbike?

Just curious.

I just v-recently passed my theory test for the bike, but just done the theory test to see if I could pass it. No actual inner drive for a bike at the time.

Looking forward to the Initial Basic Training as tbh I am in no way knowledgeable right now to go near one.

I am essentially trying to learn something new and practising and developing a new skill.

Won't be commencing my IBT for some months for a few reasons & know my cert is valid for 2-years before I have to apply for provisional (that I don't want to apply for and not make use of).

What were your reasons for choosing the Motorbike?

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Always loved bikes from a very early age, my brother had a small scooter when I was young and I think I got a bigger buzz going on that. First real taste of a big bike was the old kawasaki ZZR 400 (the one with the hoover pipes on the tank) my mate got and taught he was the cheese. Got a rip on that and it was like a concorde to me. When I really wanted the bike I had not got the funds to get one.....one thing lead to another and life moved on and the chance passed me by to get a bike when I had to get a cage for work and the ladies........

Fast forward 17 yrs and I was sitting in work and the topic of things on the bucket list came up and I wanted to tour America and Europe and I taught why wait....IBT was just introduced and I went for it. Bought an FZ6 and never looked back (becoz you would crash)

Only on bikes 3 yrs this summer and TBH I love bikes more now for the people I have met then the bikes themselves if you get me. I like to go for a blip on my own but biking is so much better when you have lads you really like around you sharing the giggles.

Passed my test exactly 6mths after getting the bike 1st time with no marks, did the Grade 2 advanced training and passed. Also did the Garda Bike safe and passed that in my first year on the bike. And now I am heading to Germany this summer so another mile stone reached.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Only motorbikers know why dogs love to lean out of car windows.

:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I kinda fell into biking by way of work.

I joined the army in 1985, after recruit training (1986) I was sent on a Dispatch Riders course.. The course was two months long covering everything from riding on the roads, to off road around Donnelly's Hollow in The Curragh to various types of tactical riding.

The bikes we used were Yamaha XS400 and XS500.

When I passed that I was more or less a glorified courier, out having the craic in Dublin city with the other couriers.

Very shortly afterwards I bought my first bike, a Yamaha DT175 and there followed a succession of DT's & RD's.. I'd approached drinking age too so started hanging around The Strawberry Hall, Barnstormers etc.. And really I've been a biker since.

It comes with a price too, over the years I've broken myself up pretty badly, in 1992 I was involved in a hit & run (riding an RD350YPVS) and had my GF at the time on the back, she broke her neck (C2 & C3) but survived.

I've lost many good friends to riding accidents too, unfortunately if I tried to remember them all I fear I'd forget one or two.

I love biking, I love the comradery & respect for each other. I love getting a biker nod, I love getting down and dirty with the spanners.. I love the craic in the clubhouse (if you involve yourself in a club) or rallys.

I'm 48 now and have been biking my entire adult life and still get a buzz out of it, without fail every ride is a buzz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Hi K4S,

From catching your cycling threads I would say that if you think of the enjoyment you get while out on the bicycle, imagine if you could do the same for longer, faster, increased distances. Motorbike touring is a great way to see Ireland, hell even the world if that takes your fancy.

Biking is not cheap to get into, but after the initial cost of doing the IBT, test, getting gear and a bike it's not too expensive. I've been riding a bike for 12 years or so now, it's my main transport to work. I don't get to do much touring at the moment, but I know I will again in another few years.

I don't know many people who regret getting a bike, but I know lots who regret NOT getting one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭serious3

Had no choice! We went around in a sidecar till I was about 8yrs old, dad raced sidecars and bikes over the years,all my formative years were spent at various uk race circuits or in the workshop with my dad. Kinda inevitable really

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I kinda fell into biking by way of work.

I joined the army in 1985, after recruit training (1986) I was sent on a Dispatch Riders course.. The course was two months long covering everything from riding on the roads, to off road around Donnelly's Hollow in The Curragh to various types of tactical riding.

The bikes we used were Yamaha XS400 and XS500.

When I passed that I was more or less a glorified courier, out having the craic in Dublin city with the other couriers.

Very shortly afterwards I bought my first bike, a Yamaha DT175 and there followed a succession of DT's & RD's.. I'd approached drinking age too so started hanging around The Strawberry Hall, Barnstormers etc.. And really I've been a biker since.

It comes with a price too, over the years I've broken myself up pretty badly, in 1992 I was involved in a hit & run (riding an RD350YPVS) and had my GF at the time on the back, she broke her neck (C2 & C3) but survived.

I've lost many good friends to riding accidents too, unfortunately if I tried to remember them all I fear I'd forget one or two.

I love biking, I love the comradery & respect for each other. I love getting a biker nod, I love getting down and dirty with the spanners.. I love the craic in the clubhouse (if you involve yourself in a club) or rallys.

I'm 48 now and have been biking my entire adult life and still get a buzz out of it, without fail every ride is a buzz.
    A lot of my friends already had scooter or bikes.
    For years I was tempted to get an RD350YPVS. I feel in love with 2 strokes after owning a tzr125. The newer ones had the rectangular headlight like my tzr but were apparently not as good as the old school ones. After that I ended up a Honda Transalp 400 of all things. Completely different affair than the tzr. Had a lower top end speed but more grunt. Before those I had a little 50cc suzuki scooter which I changed after about 2-3 months for a spanking new Gilera runner 180SP.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

bikes are cool and when my company moved to town it was the perfect excuse.
    But I had a dna50 when i was 16 and a Suzuki marauder when i was 18.
    So i have always liked them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Always loved bikes, When I was in my early teens I started out dirtbiking with a Honda XL250S 23" front wheel.
    Progressed to a Yamaha IT175J and have always had dirtbikes.
    Even to this day, I still have one and of course my trusty Dominator.
    I can't really remember not having a bike of some sort.
    I like working on them as well, the technology in bikes is usually a few steps ahead of cars as well.
    TBH modern stuff doesn't appeal to me as much as older machinery, but thats probably a function of age as much as anything.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

I was kind of forced to get a bike. I didn't have a driving license and I needed something for travel. And because in Ireland you have to have a second driver in a car to drive on a learner permit the only viable solution was to get a bike learner permit. Havent looked back since and I cringe at the thought of getting a car now. Even when I sit in one it feels weird in corners now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I think it's more like motorbikes chose me really. I developed an interest in them in my early teens (this would be the mid-Eighties) and at sixteen or so had the usual Honda 50s, various crapheap 100s/125s, etc. and it took off from there. At that time it was a cheap way for a youngfella to get into motorised transport - still is, relatively speaking I think - and so that would have had something to do with it as well.

I drove nothing else for about twelve years, but nowadays they're toys, but very important toys. Nothing, and I mean nothing, beats warming up a sportsbike on a crisp, bright weekend morning, looking forward to giving it some boolah on the twisties down around West Cork. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

I rode bikes from 16 to 22yrs when cages became my mode of transport ....handy when dating:)) i had honda 50s/70s, suzuki scooters and a cg125. ...then had a big smash in ibiza when i came off a hired bike and left it at that.
    1/4 of a century later i went back biking for many reasons. Did the ibt and the A test. Spotted a peach of an r1200 gs on done deal and havent looked back.....im back in the saddle two years now. I find the bike great for traffic etc but most of all i find solace on the bike. I love to head off over the wicklow mountains and take in the views. I have seen more of ireland and know more of ireland in the last two years. I joined a club but its not my thing re best buddies stuff but have gone on numerous rides with them to places i never knew existed. Its just immense to get out in the open air and to be able to smell the open country side. Likewise biking is an art and you have to keep working on it.....sloppiness, bad road craft, indiscipline.....well we all know where this is going. So theres lots of challenges......for me im a better cage driver now. I have so much respect for bikers that use their machines as full time chariots. I am lucky and need a cage re work. Funny on my days off the cage hasnt moved......says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

My daily commute was averaging around 2 and a 1/2 hours a day. I was pretty sick of it, so did my research. Couldn't park a car, distance was too great for a bicycle. So I bought a motorbike. My job moved away from town but I still kept the bike. Its easy to repair, easy on the gas and fun to drive. During winter though it mostly sits up and I use the car. It is a interesting car to drive though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

It's by far the best method of keeping away erectile disfunction

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Trebob

Think I was about 5 when I noticed bikes a lad pulled up on a new at the time gpx750. Was hooked from there. Did have a good while off them and missed ever second. No traffic,cheap tax,inexpensive to fill up. What's not to like other than the rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

When I was a kid my da always had bikes, brother too, uncles, pretty much everyone that called to the house had bikes, the garage always had someone bike in it being fixed. So pretty muched brainwashed into it. Da worked in the industry for most of his life and I got one for very cheap (free) when I was about 21/22. That was a 125 maurader and I've being upgrading ever since. Been driving them every day since, but finally have a car in the last year, so not on the bike as much. Turned into a fair weather biker.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

kerry4sam wrote: »
    What was your decision to learn to ride & purchase a motorbike?
    Cut my commute down from about 45-60 minutes - to 15-20 mins.

However the main reason I got one is that I was old enough to afford it, and old enough that my parents could no longer tell me not to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Always wanted one... So I got one.

I actually bought my bike for weekend spins and now I commute 365 on it, best form of transport you'll ever use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Always wanted a bike so when i moved to the UK I lived beside work so I couldn't justify a car, so I got a bike for fun!

The I moved again but kept the bike. I commute 30 miles a day and am out every weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

The old man had bikes for travelling Cork to Dublin to Cork while he worked when I was a kid. He finally got a transfer to Cork and his brother borrowed the bike....

I was chatting to a buddy one day and said I'd love a bike, he said the same..... he got his licence I got mine, he got his bike, I got mine, we booked IBT together, he had to bail because of work and him not being able to add.... so I did it, then he did it. so we both starting riding.... competing as such.... him on a 125 marauder, me on a 125 varadero..... My bike was better.... then I turned 24 so upgraded to unrestriced licence and accidentally bought a Fazer 600..... literally put new tyres on the varadero Thursday and buying a new bike friday....

I'm pretty hooked. It's something I enjoy am good at and it makes a super cool noise like Mrmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.............

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

3rd generation biker, granda & da were both bikers, granda with his leather jerkin from WWII, da with his quiff & Lewis leathers in the late 50's, early 60's

I'm just following family tradition & my 17 year old son just got his first bike, so he's the next generation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was chatting to a buddy one day and said I'd love a bike, he said the same..... he got his licence I got mine, he got his bike, I got mine, we booked IBT together, he had to bail because of work and him not being able to add.... so I did it, then he did it. so we both starting riding....

Lovely story bro <3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Zascar wrote: »
    Cut my commute down from about 45-60 minutes - to 15-20 mins

Must be doin it wrong, should have it down to sub 10 mins at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Zascar wrote: »
    Cut my commute down from about 45-60 minutes - to 15-20 mins.

However the main reason I got one is that I was old enough to afford it, and old enough that my parents could no longer tell me not to!

Pffft... I had to come here to Australia before I was sure my mother wouldn't come and take it off me. :o

I've spent a lot of my life on two wheels, just not the motorised version. Australia, particularly QLD is perfect for motorbikes. Sunny most of the year and some amazing landscape to drive through.

Almost up on my 1 year restricted gs500... trying to decide now between a TDM or vstrom although my GF seems to think I should be saving for a house...... Being a grown up is such a double edged sword....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Where I'm from(a small parish) it was just the done thing when you turned 16.
    My 3 older brothers got there first bikes at 16, their mates got bikes at 16.
    I had my first bike at 16, all my friends got their bikes at 16.

Everyone's first bike would have been a honda 50 or if you were the Dogs Bollox, a honda 70..:pac:

If I remember rightly, I think the cost for me starting out in 1988 was,
    Bike £550
    Insurance £180
    Licence £5
    Tax £20 (I think)
    Wax Jacket, about £40
    New Helmet £45
    Gloves, about £20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,384 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

1995 and I was in my first job a few months and totally fed up with Dublin Bus. Brother in law had been a courier and talked me into getting a bike, 1986 Suzuki GP100U £500, TPO insurance was £1000 :eek: had a (fashion not biking) BLJ already so that did me for a while, got a cheap lid, end of line sale gloves and Derri Boots in Mountjoy Motorcycles, and £10 waterproof overtrousers in Army Bargains and I was 'sorted' or so I thought :p

Next summer I turned 25 so could get any size bike, got a GS500E and 2 months later took the test and passed, next summer went on a tour to France, Italy, Switzerland, Germany.

The next spring I bought the bike I wanted all along, a CBR600 and did 15-20,000 miles a year on it over the next few years, rallies all over the country and touring Europe

The last few years since kids arrived it's been pretty much commuting only, down to time available as well as funds, you'd easily blow €50 on fuel alone on a day out these days :(

But, rain or shine, riding the bike is the highlight of every day and makes wage slavery bearable :)

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

cos cars don't wheelie by accident coming out of a corner on a hot day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

ninja900 wrote: »
    But, rain or shine, riding the bike is the highlight of every day and makes wage slavery bearable :)

On the way home from work last week I was chatting with a biker at a red light and he said the same thing, I had to agree with him, it was the highlight of the day for both of us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

zubair wrote: »
    On the way home from work last week I was chatting with a biker at a red light and he said the same thing, I had to agree with him, it was the highlight of the day for both of us.

Did you bally-up or go bare-back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Always been in to bikes, since I was a toddler! Saved up money to buy a road bike and insure it when I was sixteen, change in circumstances meant that the cash had to be used for something else that took priority! Haven't been able to afford one till I got married and my mrs. insisted that I get on with it or it wont happen, at 28 I finally got my first bike and haven't looked back since. Don't have a car license, don't really want one but with the kids now I'm going to have to get one to help out the mrs.

14095252510_325743648f_z.jpg

Above picture was the moment when I decided that one day I would break my wife’s heart, keep her up all night worrying as well as make my mother age ten years in one day because I bought a motorcycle!

I do remember that day pretty clearly actually, however my mum had the better seat to the whole event. She thinks it was taken around 1985-1986 when I was 3 or 4 years old. She tells me that I was always a very quiet and shy child, I behaved and listened to both her and my dad, never gave them hassle... until that day. :pac:

This is what she told me...

One minute I was holding their hands and the next thing I was jumping on to a carousel that was already in motion, before they could get to me I was on the motorcycle! This is where the trouble started, I would not get off it for all the chocolate or toys in the world and if anyone even looked like they were about to take me off I would scream and kick and bite while tears are rolling down my face, never letting go of the handlebars. I was their first child, they were young parents with no experience and the fact that I had never ever caused any trouble for them made it even harder, they really did not know how to deal with it.

The place was packed and both mum and dad were so embarrassed that they decided to leave me on it. Apparently the picture above was taken about 10 minutes before I fell asleep on the bike and about 2 and a half hours after I got on it! Needless say it was a long time before they brought me near those kind of places.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

27 in 7 days and I still don't know how to drive anything other than a motorbike. I just love bikes, everything about them.

Advertisement