Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Reasons for Choosing Motorbike

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

like zazcar i can now do clane to city center in the height of traffic in 40 mins instead of 1h40mins.
    It makes it a lot shorter day.

But you know when you get home and you finally have a relaxed sigh that says "works done" and finally start to relax?
    I have that in the car park before my commute home begins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Ive been riding bikes since i was 18(1998). A lad in my first job got me into them. I bought my first bike a Honda NSR 80cc brand new and drove it home having never riden before longer than 20meters! At that age i rode everywhere in any weather for no reason other than to just be out on the bike. Ive had 14 bikes since then of varying styles and sizes and only had 1 serious crash. I will have a bike til i die even if i cant ride.
    Bikes are in the blood. Its just a shame our weather is so bad all the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Put simply, I've always loved bikes. A former work colleague of mine is a biker and knew I was into them. He brought me along to a rally and I lived the whole scene.

I bought my first bike at 21. He came out and taught me how to ride the thing and the rest as they say is history. I will be four years on bikes in October.

We no longer work together, but are great friends and club members.

Edit: little story to tell.

My late father was diagnosed with cancer the day I went out and put the deposit on my first bike. He rode bikes when he was a kid. When I told him about the bike we argued. We argued like hell. Had to be physically separated. My mam cried. We were best friends. Used to go for pints and play guitar in out local every single Wednesday.

We didn't talk for days. Not a word. Didn't even look at each other.

The bike arrived at the house a few days later. My dad came in from work for his lunch and before he left he says his first words to me in about three or four days, 'well, are you gonna give me a shot before I go back to work or what?'

Of course I obliged, he hopped on the bike and took off down the road, and we were friends again.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭lostboy75

it took me years to get a bike, always really wanted one, but moved to Dublin (city centre) and only had on street parking, and no commute to speak of, so never got around to getting one, or a car either.
    move on 10 years i moved to Athlone, then to Galway, and a car was needed, so that came first, then i followed up a few years later with "the bike"
    I am only a weekend spinner on it, to be honest. my commute in the car is about 10 mintues, it would take me longer to get kitted out, unlock the bike, ride it, change back when i got to work etc. so weekend spins for me.

Lost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

I'm planning to get a bike for the shorter commute and cheaper Tax and MPG.

Also for the :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Grew up on them. Dad was on bikes since his college days. When my brothers and I came along he stuck a sidecar on his old r90 and we spent our youth in that. Toured the uk in that, when we outgrew it he got a bigger sidecar and we did it all over again.

Got a minimoto when i was about 7, followed by an offroad bike two years later.

50cc moped when i was 16 which was traded for a 125 as soon as I could. Several more swaps til I got my 1150GS last year. An old mans bike at 22, I blame the father for that too!

Must say I'm delighted he got us into them. I'm in south east Asia at the moment and bikes are the only way of getting about. Climbing off road tracks up mountains on mopeds has led me to some of the most beautiful scenery I've ever seen, I've needed every bit of experience to get up them though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

Mainly a financial decision for me, with some input from the "i'd always like to get a bike someday" mindset.

After going through 11 different cars in 6/7 years and never being able to settle or be happy with what I had, I decided two wheels would do it for me and played the money saving card to the at the time wife to be.

I got on to LookBehindYou after many recommendations and never looked back. First bike (XJ600) developed a brake problem and threw me over the handlebars nearly a year in to riding. A week after the wedding thankfully.

Picked up a lovely clean fazer 600 and have been using it daily since. Went from paying €600 tax a year and €60 petrol a week to €90 tax a year and €40 petrol a month! It's a no brainer. Even with maintenance costs and replacing worn gear it works out cheaper than the car.

And way more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,686 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I kinda got forced into bikes in a way. I used to live just three miles out of where I needed to be in the city but every morning on my way to work bus after bus would go by my stop as they were all too full and the driver wouldn't pick anyone up. I'd been late for work a few times because of this so then took to walking. A good few soakings later and I decided to get a moped. It was the best decision I ever made, for the first time in ages I had certainty about making work on time and just that general sense of independence. Ten years on and I've since graduated to a larger bike.

What was funny for me I suppose is a lot of bikers got into it because they were exposed to bikes through brothers, fathers, cousins, etc at a young age. I didn't have any of that and didn't get the moped till I was 25. The bizarre thing I know now that I didn't know back tHen was that my father, who passed away when I was less than a year old, owned and rode bikes when my mother met him and for several years after till he had his first kids. My mother never told me he rode a bike as she "didn't want to encourage me" but there about a year ago she presented me with a photograph of him on his bike. It's almost like he had passed a biker gene onto me and from then on in I was destined to end up on bikes one way or the other :o

Funnier again is that she told me soon after they first started seeing each other he crashed the bike and spent the next few weeks hiding the damage from his parents till he had enough money to get it fixed. Funnily enough that's exactly what I did after my own first tipple, she still doesn't know about it to this day, like father, like son ;)

Advertisement