Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost Of Ploughing, Power Harrowing

Options
  • 22-05-2014 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi
    I'm just wondering the approximate cost for ploughing grassland and power harrowing per acre. if i can get the cost breakdown as follows that would be great
    Ploughing per acre:
    power harrowing per acre:

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭allbuiz

Depends what type of ground you have and amount of acres but about €30 an acre inc vat for ploughing and €30 an acre inc vat for power harrow and sower (1 Pass).

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭merryberry

Ploughing stubble anything ball park €35-40. Add another €5-8 for grassland. Power harrow or disc/ tine cultivator?

merryberry wrote: »
    Ploughing stubble anything ball park €35-40. Add another €5-8 for grassland. Power harrow or disc/ tine cultivator?

Where is that being charged? How many acres?

allbuiz wrote: »
    Where is that being charged? How many acres?

Your after getting me up out of bed to check now...hang on

Your after getting me up out of bed to check now...hang on

There mustn't b to many ploughing around ur place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ziggerd

the land is fairly level, is established grassland and no major wet-spots or rough areas. the plough that was used was be a 4 furrow plough (non-reversible), followed by a power harrow 1 run.
    i done the spraying, levelling, rolling and put in the seed myself (and stone-picking!)
    (it's been over 10 years since i got re-seeding done and just wanna know where i stand with costings)

ploughing lea €38-50/ac inc VAT

power harrow/ run €25-40 inc VAT

from IFJ contractor chrages 2014

ziggerd wrote: »
    the land is fairly level, is established grassland and no major wet-spots or rough areas. the plough that was used was be a 4 furrow plough (non-reversible), followed by a power harrow 1 run.
    i done the spraying, levelling, rolling and put in the seed myself (and stone-picking!)
    (it's been over 10 years since i got re-seeding done and just wanna know where i stand with costings)

This time of year you should be able to get it done cheap. Just make sure the ploughing is good makes a lot of difference.

thanks

• Advertisement

They're bumped up in the first place. When they get paid will make a lot of difference on price.

what is the vat rate on ploughing, reseeding etc?
    can i claim the Vat back on the cost of re-seeding (i.e. ploughing, power harrowing and the cost of the grass seed) even though the land was still being used for agricultural purposes before re-seeding

what is the vat rate on ploughing, reseeding etc?

All contractors that are VAT registered 13.5%

can i claim the Vat back on the cost of re-seeding (i.e. ploughing, power harrowing and the cost of the grass seed) even though the land was still being used for agricultural purposes before re-seeding

R u VAT registered?

no

no

Don't think u can if not VAT registered. Maybe getting registered would make sense?

i was browsing and under the revenue's website you will find a form Vat 58 for use on non registered farmers for claiming vat back on new farm buildings, fencing, land drainage etc.....
    it says reclamation of land as well but i'm wondering does the land have to be non-usable before re-seeding or can your claim on farm land that was being farmed and you just want to make it more productive

i was browsing and under the revenue's website you will find a form Vat 58 for use on non registered farmers for claiming vat back on new farm buildings, fencing, land drainage etc.....
    it says reclamation of land as well but i'm wondering does the land have to be non-usable before re-seeding or can your claim on farm land that was being farmed and you just want to make it more productive

Give ur local adviser a call

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

This time of year you should be able to get it done cheap. Just make sure the ploughing is good makes a lot of difference.

You want a cheap job and good ploughing which side do you want your bread buttered? Any time of year the contractor deserves to make a living.
    Thats if you are using a real contractor or just a farmers son

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

I feel robbed
    My contractor (in a non tillage area) wants 130 an acre to plough disk twice powerharrow with grass box

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Zr105

epfff wrote: »
    I feel robbed
    My contractor (in a non tillage area) wants 130 an acre to plough disk twice powerharrow with grass box

Thats probably breaking down to
    €40 plough
    €30 first run
    €25 second run
    €45 to sow,

Sowing could probably be a bit cheaper but to be honest the rest wouldn't be to bad, lay is heavy ploughing from both a diesel and wear metal point of view so €40 would be fair enough. There's certainly not many ploughin stubbles for less than €30 round this way and there's fair amount of tillage

epfff wrote: »
    I feel robbed

Don't use box as its very old technology and doesn't spread seed evenly

Lambofdave wrote: »
    You want a cheap job and good ploughing which side do you want your bread buttered? Any time of year the contractor deserves to make a living.
    Thats if you are using a real contractor or just a farmers son

Contractor I use says that I'm tight but he leaves with a cheque when job is done. It's cash flow for him. Even at €30 an acre for ploughing he is still making ok money and at €30 an acre for grass sowing he is making very good money. Sure he sowed 30 acres in August last year in one day. €900 for his day, diesel isn't that expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Contractor I use says that I'm tight but he leaves with a cheque when job is done. It's cash flow for him. Even at €30 an acre for ploughing he is still making ok money and at €30 an acre for grass sowing he is making very good money. Sure he sowed 30 acres in August last year in one day. €900 for his day, diesel isn't that expensive.

Ok he probably used 9-10 L an acre for ploughing. What size plough and tractor was it? Diesel isn't his only cost, there is also
    depreciation/machinery repayments,
    labour,
    wearing parts.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ok he probably used 9-10 L an acre for ploughing. What size plough and tractor was it? Diesel isn't his only cost, there is also
    depreciation/machinery repayments,
    labour,
    wearing parts.

€900 for a days work and he isnt making money, pull the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Was charged €165 incl vat last year to plough disc level. Harrow and seed. Sounds very dear now looking at other prices

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I never said he isn't making money, just asked what tractor and plough he had.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

razor8 wrote: »
    Was charged €165 incl vat last year to plough disc level. Harrow and seed. Sounds very dear now looking at other prices

have u considered burn off, disc and seed. Reduced costs, no picking stones. Just if u had looked into it u could share thoughts

• Advertisement

blue5000 wrote: »
    I never said he isn't making money, just asked what tractor and plough he had.

MF 5455 tractor and 4 furrow plough. Kuhn sower

Advertisement