Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs in Oil & Gas available

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

My company is in the middle of ramping up works and have sent out an email to us to see if we know anybody to fill the following positions.
    Normally some experience is desirable for FIFO (Fly in/Fly out work) but if they are sending an email to all staff then they need bodies on the ground in a hurry meaning it could be a good opportunity for people without the experience to get a foot in the door.

Being FIFO work you'll be working away for 3 weeks at a time and 1 week off in Central QLD. The base point will be Brisbane where a bus is provided from Brisbane Airport out to where you stay/work. You make your own way to Brisbane. All accommodation and food is provided for in modern workers camps (on room, en suite, gym, rec rooms, big dining area etc..)

Expect salaries to be at least $130K + 15% site uplift brining it to about $150K plus 9.5% super on top of that, depending on the role and your experience. It might be totally different for this round of hiring though and will depend on whats in your contract. It works out about $2000 after tax each week including the week you are off work.

I've attached a list of vacancies available. If you are interested and think you are suitable qualified send your resume and cover letter to:

<snipped>

The company is mostly Irish owned and lots of Irish guys working with them. If you have any more questions about the work or the roles and what they involve I'll do my best to answer any questions.

<job list snipped>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭krustycustomer

WHV?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What sort of visa do you need, or will they help provide one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Hi there Pete. I've 2 years FIFO experience. Are they looking for HD fitters?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

Does it matter much if i am not Brisbane based ?

How much experience are the company looking for for the positions ?

What type of educational background is required ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Are they looking for electricians/instrument techs? I'm based in WA but would be willing to travel for something like. I am a resident with fifo experience.

• Advertisement

Are they looking for electricians/instrument techs? I'm based in WA but would be willing to travel for something like. I am a resident with fifo experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

All I know about what they are looking for is in that list. I think they are all the salary positions they need filled.

They are looking for ground crews for trenchers, labourers, machine operators etc but as far as I know they are all being recruited via a recruitment agency. I'm not sure what recruitment agency but I'll try to find out. I did overhear Manpower mentioned but can't be sure if thats who it is going through.

If you get on through the agency its about $67 flat rate per hour, doing 12 hour days for 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off which works out to be about $4000 per every week worked after tax I think and obviously not paid on your 2 weeks off.
    The downside is you can be let go with an hours notice if/when it gets slow (usually around Xmas/wet,flood season), no super, no annual leave or sick leave. It's effectively a casual role. They obviously organise your transport back to Brisbane if you are let go.

So if you want to throw your CV to <snipped> regardless then go for it. They may redirect you to the recruitment agency. I won't be back up there until Wednesday so can't find out until then.

As for WHV, its highly unlikely unless they are in desperate need of your skills. The requirements are set by the main client, not by my company so their hands are tied in that respect. No harm in trying though.

As for being Brisbane based, I'm sure it helps. I'm Sydney based. All they care about is yo being at Brisbane to catch the bus out to work.

As for experience & education, if you are applying for one of the roles about, it would be a 3rd level qualification necessary. For ground crews through the agency it would be secondary school at most and if you have tickets to drive machinery, weld poly pipe, use an excavator, have a MR or HR licence it will all help.

FIFO experience would be an advantage I suppose as would any experience in mining/oil and gas.

At this stage I don't think they would be looking to help secure visas for new starters. I can't be sure though.

Talking to some of the ground crews today, I've learnt that if you have a roller ticket and a dogma ticket you are probably highly desirable at the minute and it would increase your chances of being employed. They are bringing guys in early from their 2 week break to make up numbers at the minute.

If you also happened to have completed the "Permit Holders" course then you are probably at the front of the line. It's unlikely that many people outside of mining/oil and gas would have this though.

If you don't have the dogman ticket (the high risk dogman ticket being more desirable again) it will cost at least $1350 to attain or there a bouts I've been told. Roller tickets are about $650 to attain.

Seemingly all jobs are going through the email address I provided and then put through agencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Give me a yell if they're looking for moxy drivers!

• Advertisement

If you have the licence for a Moxy you could be able to drive something else.

The agency they are using is CIVIL PACIFIC SERVICES as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

Sweet, I'll look em up. I have a degree in Construction Management but zero experience in that so I'm better off applying for a machinery role since I've plenty experience there.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Not for Long

Hi Pete4130,

Do you have any other details on the Contracts Administrator position?

Is <snip> the contact name for that email? Does he have all that job information?

Cheers

I don't have any more details. I just copied and pasted the lust of jobs and names from an email.

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

How'd you's go finding surveyors?

No permanent staff/salary surveyors as yet. About 4 contractors started to make up numbers in the short term. They are still looking for permanent direct hire guys. HR is notoriously slow with them. I was 4 months waiting before I started even though they needed people in a hurry.

The contractors were always intended for the ramp up in work and could be let go when it gets quiet December/January for the wet season and keep on the direct hire/staff surveyors.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement