Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone holding off on buying a next gen (this gen) console until a certain title?

Options
  • 23-05-2014 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

Final Fantasy XV, Red Dead Redemption Sequel or a mighty spruced and upgraded up GTA V (forests, better landscapes and the like).

I haven't really gamed since 2010 anyway so it won't be hard.

Star Wars BATTLEFRONT, Fallout 4 or Wipeout would also make me buy.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

I bought a ps4 about 2 months ago and I wish I had waited there is no mammoth games out for it yet I have fifa 14 and cod ghosts and im sick of fifa and ghosts online is a disappointment in my opinion.

I Havent played it in around 2 weeks now im 26 now though and its hard to have time for ps4 when your working 45+hour weeks and have to play a bit of football and keep some standard of a social life so maybe im just out growing my beloved video games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

It's sort of sad how my own PS3 has been turned into a blu ray/DVD player and USB file player as opposed to a games machine

I've watched much hours of TV, movies and music on it than hours on actual games in the last 4 years, which has been atomically small.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

I'm glad I got it when I did. Yes no major games yet - a few that are good fun though.

> Stick it to the man - great when played via the Vita.
    > Infamous - useful for a rainy afternoon, repetitive fairly fast but still good fun.
    > Killzone - am I the only one who got bored and just consigned it to the drawer.
    > Thief - great concept, poorly executed. Go play Dishonoured instead on the PS3, but if you've never played that go have some fun even if it means continually crossing the map to get to where you want to go. Had more fun here going off mission on the few side-quests.
    > Outlast - BOO!
    > Resogun - ah Defender re-jigged for the 21st Century. Good little game.
    > Tomb Raider - really enjoyed it, but had not played the PS3 version, very pretty game.
    > Assassin's Creed - who knows... After being fooled by the last one on the PS3 I ain't goin back there again.
    > COD - similarly the focus on multiplayer here ruined the single player experience for me games ago, but it's still COD... So maybe.
    > FIFA - it's a ball game - the next one introduces hyper-reality. Put on the VR headset, go to the park with a ball and run around screaming "STAPLETON!!!" - yes it's a kick back to the 80s...

As above, yes there are no generation killers yet but it's still a great piece of kit, which for me comes into it's own when I pair it with the Vita. Combined though with PS+ the offerings across the spectrum have been good. But your call. Suggest that even if you don't have it yet get PS+ and stock up on the freebies each month including for the Vita and PS3. That way on a bad month you will have a little collection of some of the gems to play - Resogun / Stick it to the Man etc....

Looking forward to "The Last of Us 2" (I hope they don't spoil it); maybe an Unchartered or similar from that group, oh and Destiny of course...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,597 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Nothing as yet, although Destiny could be the one.
    Also, Halo 5 and a new Wipeout game would have me throw money at both consoles.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Batman: Arkham Knight looks to be the game that will get me upgrading from my PS3 to a PS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Taltos wrote: »
    > Killzone - am I the only one who got bored and just consigned it to the drawer.
    > COD - similarly the focus on multiplayer here ruined the single player experience for me games ago, but it's still COD... So maybe.

No, quite liked Killzone but 1/2 way through got bored with the SP, although I will finish it at some point. Was a huge COD fan from years ago but recent instalments were dire imo. Trying to finish of the SP but finding it a chore.

Glad I got the PS4 at launch.
    BF4 I'm really enjoying, just put on Wolfenstein yesterday for a while and it looks quite good. Could have got these on the PS3 but they're so much shinier on the PS4 :)
    Resogun/Outlast were nice as freebies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,998 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Arkham Knight possibly will get me to buy a PS4 but also maybe The Division really depends on what else I see at E3 probably

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I think it'll be the likes of Destiny that might make me want to grab a ps4. But tbh I'll probably leave it till middle of 2015 as I've so many other games to finish and start for that matter on other consoles and handhelds. I'm in absolutely no rush with this round of consoles as the last gen was/is so damn strong.

Edit... Might get destiny on the 360 actually if it makes an appearance there.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Nothing as yet, although Destiny could be the one.
    Also, Halo 5
    and a new Wipeout game would have me throw money at both consoles.

Same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Fallout 4 or the Elder Scrolls VI

Until then, I've still got plenty in my backlog to keep me sustained!

(I'll be getting a PS4 btw)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Have a PC, but if Fallout 4 were to be a console exclusive for some reason.

Also, potentially Halo 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Only thing that tweaks my interest in next-gen so far is Project Beasts, if it is a successor to the Souls series.

Will have to see what E3 brings.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

PS4. The Last Guardian.

In truth I plan on getting it anyway but not until late this year or early next. TLG will just make it a no brainer purchase for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,182 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Going to stick with PC for the foreseeable. PS+ is keeping me busy on PS3 and Vita, and my 360 is gathering dust because it's old and noisy.

Nothing next gen exclusive has grabbed my attention enough to make me want a new console yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Probably wait till end of year. I wouldn't buy kz, infamous, ryze or dead rising if they were available on pc.. Certainly not going to buy a console for them ! I rarely buy hardware on release anyway.. Never really worth imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I had a WiiU in my Tesco basket when the MK8 pre-order went live but with my currect backlog I just couldn't do it. Bayonetta 2, however, will be the game that will make me get one regardless.

If Project Beast turns out to be Demons Souls 2 then that'll mean I'll pick up a PS4. By then there should be enough games on it to fall back on.

On the XBox One front, that'll be like the PS3 for me this gen, I'll get one when there's enough quality games rather than one real standout title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I picked up a ps4 in February but only for Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes. I wouldn't recommend jumping next gen right now but seems after summer it be worth purchasing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Destiny would tempt me, and The Last Guardian would demand i buy one. Also, Zelda or the new X game from Monolith will make me buy a Wii U.

But most everything else i can play on the pc, so not really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Nothing at all since i have a PC. If Project Beast is a PS4 exclusive then that will more than likely push me over the edge and buy one.

Oh and Final Fantasy XV. But considering how bad the most recent console FF games have been my expectations are very very low

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Its a funny old time in gaming at the moment, theres not a lot to shout about on either of the next gen machines (wii U is its own thing as far as Im concerned), and the influx of free games / good sale deals on titles I missed has me going back to my 360 more than i expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,584 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

An Alan Wake 2 or a Deus Ex 4 would probably make me consider getting an 8th gen console...

and now for the obligatory Half-Life/Shenmue 3

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fallout 4 or maybe Project Beast depending on what that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

For everyone looking for Fallout 4, it won't even be shown or announced at E3 next month so it's way, way off. The Division is looking like a 2016 title at this stage after them saying 2015 is a bit optimistic for a release, Ubi have said they don't want to do a BF4 on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Have a PS4 since day 1 and I don't regret it, even though I haven't done much gaming on it. I just had to have it.

I only have FIFA 14 on it, so it's mostly replaced my PS3 as a Netflix and Blu-Ray machine. Watchdogs is nearly here though, so let the games begin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Adamantium wrote: »
    It's sort of sad how my own PS3 has been turned into a blu ray/DVD player and USB file player as opposed to a games machine

I've watched much hours of TV, movies and music on it than hours on actual games in the last 4 years, which has been atomically small.

Do you have PS+? I noticed the same thing until I picked up PS+ and started playing games I might not otherwise have tried.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

Final Fantasy XV.

And even then, i don't think I'd shell out anything near 400!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Solm

I'm holding off until Christmas, although I would love to play Infamous Second Son there really isn't anything else. Also I have PS + and still have tons of games to finish. Uncharted next gen would sway me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

Witcher 3 or Dragons Age 3. But im probably going to get a PC instead because have you seen Star Citizen? Holy ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Most likely wait until the phantom pain, but I'm fairly out if touch so I've no idea what's coming between now and then

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

i was holding out on the ps4 till watch dogs, got impatient and got it, AC4 and FIFA, and now im too broke to get watch dogs.

Irony!

oh, and i love my ps4, btw. no regrets

Advertisement