Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does PRTB Registration work?

Options
  • 23-05-2014 7:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭

Hi guys

Just clinched a new apartment which I'm delighted about, but according to the landlord, he has to register with me with the PRTB.

I think I may have been registered before in a previous address, but had a bad experience with the landlord and broke the tenancy 18 months into a 2 years lease, so now I'm worried this may jeopardise my lease for the new place.

Any help greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

all you need to give him is your full name. PPS number is optional in my experience. I cant see how your previous experience can jeopardise your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Hi guys

Just clinched a new apartment which I'm delighted about, but according to the landlord, he has to register with me with the PRTB.

I think I may have been registered before in a previous address, but had a bad experience with the landlord and broke the tenancy 18 months into a 2 years lease, so now I'm worried this may jeopardise my lease for the new place.

Any help greatly appreciated

Each tenancy should be registered separately.
    Don't worry about previous tenancies.
    Nobody is comparing notes and telling tales to your new landlord :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭The Wild Bunch

Phew!

Thanks guys :)

I was worried that because my previous tenancy ended badly, it would jeopardize my new place, was unaware everything was done seperately

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Phew!

Thanks guys :)

I was worried that because my previous tenancy ended badly, it would jeopardize my new place, was unaware everything was done seperately

Never worry about state, semi-state or quangos systems and staff having a coherent communication of data.
    They are paralysed with incompetent/lazy staff, legacy standalone systems and fear of data protection legislation.

Except Revenue...they're good.
    Everything else is hit and miss :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Santa Cruz

Zamboni wrote: »
    Each tenancy should be registered separately.
    Don't worry about previous tenancies.
    Nobody is comparing notes and telling tales to your new landlord :)

And you should get notification from PRTB that the tenancy is registered

• Advertisement

Santa Cruz wrote: »
    And you should get notification from PRTB that the tenancy is registered

So my new landlord will be notified that I have already registered?

Does that mean he then doesn't have to register me, or does he have to do it again seperately?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

No, I think you receive. Notification when he registers you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

Never worry about state, semi-state or quangos systems and staff having a coherent communication of data.
    They are paralysed with incompetent/lazy staff, legacy standalone systems and fear of data protection legislation.

agreed don't worry about it,new tenancy new start. and anyway it takes them a year to get to most complaints about a year to make a decision and in the end its a waste of time,
    nonsense expense for the landlord and an irrelevance for the tenant

Thanks for all your help guys :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

shroom007 wrote: »
    agreed don't worry about it,new tenancy new start. and anyway it takes them a year to get to most complaints about a year to make a decision and in the end its a waste of time,
    nonsense expense for the landlord and an irrelevance for the tenant

They've gotten a lot better in all honesty. Evictions are now down to 6-8 weeks, and deposit disputes- 8-12 weeks. Thankfully- it would appear the era of waiting a year (or longer) are over for both tenants and landlords.

• Advertisement

This may be how it appears. In fact- Revenue, DSFA and other agencies, are getting better and better at sharing information- with most agencies now checking back via at least wsdl links the validity of information as they input it on their systems, and any suspicious transactions are highlighted and shared.

The era of all the different Departments, agencies and bodies- having wholly stand-alone systems, are yesteryear. Its far from perfect- but its not the disjointed system most people seem to imagine.

Deposit's been paid and contract's been signed so he can f*ck off if he think's he's kicking me out :D

Deposit's been paid and contract's been signed so he can f*ck off if he think's he's kicking me out :D

With no disrespect intended- if you're a good tenant and the landlord a good landlord- there is no reason you won't have a long and satisfactory tenancy in the apartment. The particulars of your previous tenancy- are not going to colour your current tenancy- unless you refer directly about them to the landlord- or behave in a similar manner (and I have no idea what participated your falling out with your previous landlord- nor is relevant to the current tenancy).

Where both parties behave in an appropriate manner towards one another- its a recipe for happiness and peace for everyone.

I hope you enjoy your new apartment, and the time you spend there.

With no disrespect intended- if you're a good tenant and the landlord a good landlord- there is no reason you won't have a long and satisfactory tenancy in the apartment. The particulars of your previous tenancy- are not going to colour your current tenancy- unless you refer directly about them to the landlord- or behave in a similar manner (and I have no idea what participated your falling out with your previous landlord- nor is relevant to the current tenancy).

Where both parties behave in an appropriate manner towards one another- its a recipe for happiness and peace for everyone.

I hope you enjoy your new apartment, and the time you spend there.

Thanks for your reply, really appreciate it :)

Advertisement