Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planting now. Recommendations please.

• 23-05-2014 8:30am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

Hi. We've finally had a bit of work done in the garden and I'm ready to start putting plants in. I'm an absolute novice so would appreciate some pointers. All plants I use should be relatively hardy and self sufficient when planted - nothing I need to feed or do a whole lot of work with. Most will be in pots or containers.

I need plants for the following:

Shaded area, suitable for window boxes. Would like something with a flower, that tends to give some nice coverage as it's to disguise some rough edges where the deck meets the patio. Something "cascading" for want of a better word. If these smell nice all the better.

I've a similar need for a nice smelling plant which will be in an area that gets a lot if sun. Again some nice cover would be great.

I'm happy to mix and match. A plant which would have something to it during autumn/winter months would be great too. I currently have a beautiful corkscrew willow which is probably more interesting in the winter than it is now. I love it. Are there any low growing plants I could put in among the flowers that would come up as the flowers are dying off for winter?

Some herbs that will live outdoors. I have basil, mint and parsley, indoors, at the moment and would like to move them out and plant some more. I'm unsure how herbs manage outdoors in Ireland. Are there any that do particularly well?

I wanted opinions on throwing down some meadow or wildflower seeds. Would I need to dig up and area or are they likely to take in grass? It's not a very big garden, I just wanted a wild looking area at the back. could I end up regretting it?

Thank you.

Advertisement