Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta comet chaser completes "big burn"

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

shedweller wrote: »
    Landing at 11:00 tomorrow i think??

Separation at 0903, touch down at 1602.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Separation at 0903, touch down at 1602.
    I must have read conflicting info then. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I must have read conflicting info then. Thanks!

one of Philae's thrusters isn't working adding extra drama to the manoeuvre. the top thruster was designed to give downward pressure to Philae to reduce the risk of it bouncing off the surface on landing and to hold it in place while the attachment screws are deployed.

The landing will still take place but its more risky now

Well that sucks!

Well that sucks!

They still have the harpoons to tether it to the comet so it's not all lost. It's gonna be trickier, and more nerve racking for the team, but I still think they can do it

• Advertisement

The ESA should confirm successful seperation at about 9 this morning, and the landing should be complete by about 4pm (GMT - which is currently irish time for the winter until the clocks change again in spring)

http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/11/12/comet-landing-is-a-go-despite-thruster-problem/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,211 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Separation confirmed!

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Separation confirmed!

Man I am so gonna play a sh1t load of KSP tonight

Im on the esa website trying to watch it live but its jammed up. Also getting redirected to the play store to download livestream but that wont save to my sd card. I thought they went to the phone instead of the card??

Edit: watching it on the desktop is far simpler!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I can watch the live stream on my phone (either via Chrome browser or the LiveStream app) or PC but for some reason it's refusing to cast to my Chromecast which is a PITA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭barry181091

I am in work (Not working might I add!) covering this. This is so exciting! I would love to know what are the chances they have calculated for successful touchdown and tethering. Maybe ~15%?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

I read somewhere on the BBC site that they believe the site chosen gives them a 75% chance of successful tethering.
    I expect that 75% is lower now without a thruster

Ay suggestions for how to pass the time until 10:53? (Philly-Rosy radio connection)

the harpoon, in fairness, is a serious piece of kit. It was tested in a box full of insulation granules and boy were they light. It pulled a bit as the barbs extended but then held fast. I presume they used the same winch with the same forces.
    The loss of the top thruster is a kick in the goolies though so heres hoping all will go well. It'll be taking pictures during the descent too so we'll know more this time tomorrow regardless of the outcome today!
    My kids are gone to school armed with links and data! Science baby!!:pac:

What_does_Philae_do_during_descent.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

the harpoon, in fairness, is a serious piece of kit. It was tested in a box full of insulation granules and boy were they light. It pulled a bit as the barbs extended but then held fast. I presume they used the same winch with the same forces.
    The loss of the top thruster is a kick in the goolies though so heres hoping all will go well. It'll be taking pictures during the descent too so we'll know more this time tomorrow regardless of the outcome today!
    My kids are gone to school armed with links and data! Science baby!!:pac:

Anyone any idea if/how they mitigate the momentum in the opposite direction when the harpoon is fired towards the surface.
    Its mass is undoubtedly considerably less than Philae, but its velocity is probably high?
    So on a low gravity comet, would Philae jump up a bit when it fired the harpoon?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

josip wrote: »
    Anyone any idea if/how they mitigate the momentum in the opposite direction when the harpoon is fired towards the surface.
    Its mass is undoubtedly considerably less than Philae, but its velocity is probably high?
    So on a low gravity comet, would Philae jump up a bit when it fired the harpoon?

The top thruster was intended to counteract that force. At least; the harpoons firing will product a brief but significant impulse upwards but the top thruster would more than compensate for the delta-v produced by that impulse. Without that thruster the lander will be more dependent on the harpoons catching in the surface so the lander can pull itself down on the tethers.

(AFIAK, IANARS, etc.)

Some difference to, say, the chinese lander that paused descent to analyse and go to the best spot! It's amazing what difference a few years makes.

First pics after the seperation should be coming in in the next 10 to 15 mins.
    :cool:

Live now. Waiting for info from philae!

Come on little guy, don't fail us now!!

EDIT: WOOOO!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

Full telemetry from Philae through Rosetta.

much patting of backs. Looks good!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

The twitter interaction between Rosetta and Philae is great:
    https://twitter.com/ESA_Rosetta
    https://twitter.com/Philae2014

• Registered Users Posts: 8,521 ✭✭✭brevity

XKCD seems to be doing live updates!

The comic this morning was of the selfie pic it's now changed :)

r_11-30-00_DEpbhsl54D.png

'DO HARPOONS WORK ON COMETS; HOPEFULLY' Awesome :D

r_12-30-00_02xILHgXAW.png

We probably wont find Whales...

Someone has found all the XKCD images for this particular launch...

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110380#p3685423

brevity wrote: »
    Someone has found all the XKCD images for this particular launch...

http://forums.xkcd.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=110380#p3685423

http://xkcd.com/1446/ This is the live feed, just refresh to see if he has a new one up. Hot damn, where are these pictures. I wonder do they have like a Windows 98 'Loading...' file bar for images....:rolleyes:

http://xkcd.com/1446/ This is the live feed, just refresh to see if he has a new one up. Hot damn, where are these pictures. I wonder do they have like a Windows 98 'Loading...' file bar for images....:rolleyes:

Here is a page that allows you to click through them all.

http://xkcd1446.org/

The first couple appear blank but keep clicking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

some very good images... makes ya think they are actually real... I see a animation movie in the pipe line :D

Advertisement