Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta comet chaser completes "big burn"

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

check_six wrote: »
    Looking at screens saying "but if these numbers are correct, that means it's heading straight for us....!"

someone just said "Call Bruce Willis"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Lots of touchdown gestures!! Omg!!!!! Those damn onions again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Well done, great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

Touchdown Broncoes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Congrats to everyone involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

they mentioned 4 minute polling so i guess certain sensors are not streaming constantly,hence the wait for a confirmation after the first result.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Fair play to them :)

excellent job

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

@Philae2014: Touchdown! My new address: 67P!

LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Brilliant :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

ESA Operations @esaoperations · 5m 5 minutes ago
    In just a few minutes, CIVA-P panoramic imaging is programmed to start obtaining first surface images

Can't wait for that image

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

So I take it this yoke will attach also hoping to travel with it into deep space? How far will it go and be able to send signals back of location? Actually thinking about it, our telescopes probably see way further than this thing will ever go so maybe not much new information from travelling with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

It will probably be destroyed by the sun in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

This and the landing of the Mars rover kinda makes it feel like we're in a golden age of space exploration. The complexity of these missions is staggering. It's mind boggling to realise just how much could go wrong and yet it all went almost perfectly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

So I take it this yoke will attach also hoping to travel with it into deep space? How far will it go and be able to send signals back of location? Actually thinking about it, our telescopes probably see way further than this thing will ever go so maybe not much new information from travelling with it?

Philae cannot contact Earth directly, all comms are through Rosetta. Rosetta is expected to stay alongside the comet for some months yet. I think the nominal mission for Philae is expected to be completed in a few days, but they are hopeful it will last longer than that (think Opportunity and Spirit...)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thargor wrote: »
    It will probably be destroyed by the sun in a few weeks time.
    A bit longer actually:

How long will Rosetta stay with the comet? Will it be incinerated by the sun? If not, how far will the comet take it? Will it end up further away from Earth than Voyager?

Ian Sample replies: The Rosetta mission should last until December 2015, about four months after the comet has made its closest approach to the sun and started to head back out to the more distant reaches of the solar system. The Philae lander could survive for up to three months but its lifetime depends very much on whether it can recharge its batteries once it’s down. And whether it can cling on.

Javan wrote: »
    Philae cannot contact Earth directly, all comms are through Rosetta. Rosetta is expected to stay alongside the comet for some months yet. I think the nominal mission for Philae is expected to be completed in a few days, but they are hopeful it will last longer than that (think Opportunity and Spirit...)
    A little RTG on top would have been nice. But hey, we'll be seeing pictures from the surface of a comet for the first time ever! How bad eh??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Skyknight

statesaver wrote: »
    amazing. Can anyone pick up what they are saying ?

Real cool stuff. I think the real question was how are they feeling.:eek: Bloody great stuff. Remember watching Giotto's flyby back in '86, and I thought that was neat. :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

What speed is the comet travelling at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

A bit longer actually:

How long will Rosetta stay with the comet? Will it be incinerated by the sun? If not, how far will the comet take it? Will it end up further away from Earth than Voyager?

Ian Sample replies: The Rosetta mission should last until December 2015, about four months after the comet has made its closest approach to the sun and started to head back out to the more distant reaches of the solar system. The Philae lander could survive for up to three months but its lifetime depends very much on whether it can recharge its batteries once it’s down. And whether it can cling on.

" What speed is the comet travelling at? "

Live distance count from Comet 67P and Rosetta Spacecraft .

http://www.livecometdata.com/comets/67p-churyumov-gerasimenko/

A bit longer actually:

Cool. What i take from that is that it won't be heat that kills philae but rather, dust on the solar panels or offgassing of such violence that philae is blown off. Steam on the electronics might become a problem at this stage also so i'm hoping for a very interesting months ahead!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Skyknight wrote: »
    Remember watching Giotto's flyby back in '86, and I thought that was neat. :D
    I was at ESOC at the time and it was pretty neat, although the difference in the technology between now and then is staggering. I did some work on the simulator they used for training the operations staff in the lead up to the encounter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Curious, why does it list 'Waiting for confirmation of landing' on their web stream?? http://rosetta.esa.int/

Relative to Philae? ... approximately 0 m/s. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

BarryD wrote: »
    Curious, why does it list 'Waiting for confirmation of landing' on their web stream?? http://rosetta.esa.int/
    It says "Landing confirmed" now, try refreshing the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭exiledelbows

Stargate wrote: »
    " What speed is the comet travelling at? "

Live distance count from Comet 67P and Rosetta Spacecraft .

http://www.livecometdata.com/comets/67p-churyumov-gerasimenko/

This might be a stupid question, but how come the distance to the Sun is falling but the distance to Earth is rising in that data? i thought this was out by Jupiter?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭brevity

Apparently the anchors didn't fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

brevity wrote: »

From Guardian: Apparently the anchors didn’t deploy, so there’s a concern about the stability of the lander.

If the anchors haven't fired then it's goosed surely? As soon as it deploys instruments or tries to drill, it'll drift off?

brevity wrote: »
    Theres a little movement also. The feet screws must be in very loose material.
    Firing the harpoon will move philae upwards a little too although inertia should help keep things steady. Scared now. Get pics quick!!!

This might be a stupid question, but how come the distance to the Sun is falling but the distance to Earth is rising in that data? i thought this was out by Jupiter?

Look at the map near the bottom of that page and imagine that the Earth is moving on it's orbit at about 29km/s while 67p is moving at 16km/s you can see that, for now, Earth is moving away from the comet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Javan wrote: »
    Look at the map near the bottom of that page and imagine that the Earth is moving on it's orbit at about 29km/s while 67p is moving at 16km/s you can see that, for now, Earth is moving away from the comet.

Tnx Javan , you got there before me . :pac:

Edit There are fast forward buttons on the end of that picture to play with Comet position

Advertisement