Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta comet chaser completes "big burn"

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Javan

quad_red wrote: »
    From Guardian: Apparently the anchors didn’t deploy, so there’s a concern about the stability of the lander.

If the anchors haven't fired then it's goosed surely? As soon as it deploys instruments or tries to drill, it'll drift off?

I guess it depends on what force the harpoons / tethers can take. Certainly it will be unstable ...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,522 ✭✭✭brevity

When you think about it, if the anchors\harpoons didn't fire and the thruster failed, it's a bloody miracle that it's there at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's going to be tricky if/when they do refire them with a 2 x 28 minute round trip before they get confirmation of success.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Well done ESA, that'll show those NASA lads.

A very fine achievement considering it was all built in the 1990's using 1980's technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,911 ✭✭✭✭josip

brevity wrote: »
    When you think about it, if the anchors\harpoons didn't fire and the thruster failed, it's a bloody miracle that it's there at all.

Basically it fell down but most importantly it's got comms to Rosy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

quad_red wrote: »
    From Guardian: Apparently the anchors didn’t deploy, so there’s a concern about the stability of the lander.

If the anchors haven't fired then it's goosed surely? As soon as it deploys instruments or tries to drill, it'll drift off?
    Some physics-y lads here might be able to do the numbers on it. Mass of harpoon vs mass of lander. Throw in a bit of v=u+at etc and yis have yer answer!!
    Just like that!

I presume firing the force of firing the harpoons at point blank range might push the lander off or make it unstable? Depends on how strong the screws in the feet are...

brevity wrote: »
    I presume firing the force of firing the harpoons at point blank range might push the lander off or make it unstable? Depends on how strong the screws in the feet are...
    Philaes mass will slow its rebound to something the feet anchors will hopefully hold. Failing that the harpoon better hold onto something!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

No scheduled updates on livestream? strange...

Edit: ESA TV report expected shortly.

No scheduled updates on livestream? strange...

Ominous...

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Update at 6.30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Has the live update started yet? Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭youreadthat

Delayed 20 minutes.

I'm watching a live program on German TV at the moment (3Sat if anyone can pick it up and understands German) and they were saying that one possible reason the harpoons didn't fire was that the surface of the comet may have been too soft, and there are sensors in the ends of the harpoons that detect when they have made contact, and these may have not triggered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Alun wrote: »
    the surface of the comet may have been too soft, and there are sensors in the ends of the harpoons that detect when they have made contact, and these may have not triggered.
    Please tell me they can fire the harpoons manually

though part of me would have preferred a probe that could hop about a bit after the first phase of it's mission

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Any word yet? The times seem to be slipping. Must be some issues with images or lack of?

BarryD wrote: »
    Any word yet? The times seem to be slipping. Must be some issues with images or lack of?
    Just started ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

where are you watching live?

Mr_Red wrote: »
    where are you watching live?
    http://rosetta.esa.int/

Please tell me they can fire the harpoons manually

though part of me would have preferred a probe that could hop about a bit after the first phase of it's mission

Looks like you might have got your wish! ;)

• Advertisement

Javan wrote: »
    Looks like you might have got your wish! ;)
    Yes, not one comet landing, but two!!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭MillField

Very interesting. Has this been a 10 year operation? Chasing a comet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

What an incredible achievement, one of the truly historic moments of our lifetime. I will drink to that!

colmulhall wrote: »
    Very interesting. Has this been a 10 year operation? Chasing a comet?

It has been thirty years in the planning, with ten years since the launch.

Javan wrote: »
    It has been thirty years in the planning, with ten years since the launch.

Wow. Great that it could be completed successfully after all that work. Is this the first landing on a comet?

colmulhall wrote: »
    Wow. Great that it could be completed successfully after all that work. Is this the first landing on a comet?
    The first proper landing, yes. NASA had a mission called Deep Impact (!) that literally crashed a small probe into a comet back in 2005 and analysed the stream of dust that came off it.

No news on the harpoon??

Deadly :)

• Advertisement

Haha, during the live stream watched by millions the lead scientist wore this:

KPC0uwD.png

Advertisement