Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle rental and deposit

Options
  • 23-05-2014 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭

I'm renting a motorcycle in August for a holiday and the company who are Irish based and have offices in the location I'm flying to have sent me a rental agreement document which has to be completed in MS Word format and sent back.

The issue I have is they are requesting my credit card details for the security deposit on the vehicle to be filled out on this word document and returned to them. I have taken a pic of the doc and attached it below. Surely this can't be safe ???

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

No, sending credit card details via e-mail in plain text like this is never a good idea.

Give them a call or ring them and explain your concerns, this isn't something they should be requesting. Explained you'll be happy to call them with the details but for security reasons you won't be supplying your card details via e-mail and that they should not be requesting customers to do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭skelligs

Requesting details like this would mean that the compnay is not PCI-DSS compliant.

The taking of and storage of credit card details, particulary security details such as cvv code and address of customer, has to be secure.

Even after taking details by phone, the details should be stored in a secured manner and not on some piece of paper stored in a filing cabinet.

Advertisement