Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to disassemble a wooden chalet/house?

Options
  • 23-05-2014 11:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering about this: how would you disassemble a wooden house/chalet in the back garden of a property? I don't mean to destroy it but to sell it on?

The problem is that it is fully assembled in a garden which only has a narrow and high-walled laneway at the back so there is no way the chalet can be lifted out and moved as a whole structure. Does anyone have any experience with this and can give some tips or point me to some books/websites that show you how to do it? I had a look online but there doesn't seem to be anything on this particular question.

The chalet has a small living/dining room, a separate bathroom and separate bedroom and a little terrace. I think the windows are double glazed.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

You could reflect in the sale price, the cost of disassembling to the purchaser . It might save you a lot of work for the same outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

Satriale wrote: »
    You could reflect in the sale price, the cost of disassembling to the purchaser . It might save you a lot of work for the same outcome.

Yes, that would be an option but the property itself is not for sale, just the chalet has to go. Thanks for your reply though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Preusse wrote: »
    Yes, that would be an option but the property itself is not for sale, just the chalet has to go. Thanks for your reply though.

He was implying that you sell it whole, on the condition that the purchaser disassembles and removes it themselves.

He was implying that you sell it whole, on the condition that the purchaser disassembles and removes it themselves.

Got ya, that would definitely make sense. Will try that but would still appreciate it if someone had some tips about other ways as well, just to keep everything in mind, particularly if I have to do it myself in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

What's the make and model? Or there should be at least a company name on it. I'd say they'll disassemble and reassemble it for a price (or recommend someone who'd do it as a nixer), and you could add this to the price that you're selling it for.

Having this could be seen as a pro rather than a con, as someone could get a cheap one into their back garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

Was this a pre-fabricated building or was it built on the site? If the former it should be a relatively simple operation; if the latter it could be a lot more difficult.

the_syco wrote: »
    What's the make and model? Or there should be at least a company name on it. I'd say they'll disassemble and reassemble it for a price (or recommend someone who'd do it as a nixer), and you could add this to the price that you're selling it for.

Having this could be seen as a pro rather than a con, as someone could get a cheap one into their back garden.

Thanks, will check it out when I am back there towards the end of next week.
    Was this a pre-fabricated building or was it built on the site? If the former it should be a relatively simple operation; if the latter it could be a lot more difficult.

Actually, I am not sure how it was built there. Are there any particular things to identify prefab from built-on-site? I could have a look then when I am back next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Is it possible it could have been crane-lifted into place?

the_syco's suggestion certainly seems the best: get onto the company who initially supplied / fitted it. They may even take it off your hands to sell it on second hand / refurbished etc.

Sleepy wrote: »
    Is it possible it could have been crane-lifted into place?

the_syco's suggestion certainly seems the best: get onto the company who initially supplied / fitted it. They may even take it off your hands to sell it on second hand / refurbished etc.

I really doubt it was lifted into place. The rear garden access is via a narrow private lane which has walls on both sides. While a medium-sized truck may be able to drive there I doubt it would actually make it into that area as the lane continues at an exact right turn to get out onto the street and it would be impossible for any larger vehicle to get around that turn, particularly if they have a wider load.

Never underestimate Celtic Tiger Stupidity. I know of a guy who had a massive hot tub craned into the back garden by being lifted over the house...

• Advertisement

Never underestimate Celtic Tiger Stupidity. I know of a guy who had a massive hot tub craned into the back garden by being lifted over the house...

True, if they did it some weird way, then yes, it's certainly possible but it would not be the way for me to get it out! That would be too costly and too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Although this may sound stupid, in this case it may have been seen as cheaper than building an extension, or a get-around if planning for an extension had been refused/blocked by the neighbours.

Nope, it was a simple matter of it being the only way possible to get the thing into the back yard and the guy having so much money that he wasn't worried about the expense.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Nope, it was a simple matter of it being the only way possible to get the thing into the back yard and the guy having so much money that he wasn't worried about the expense.

Its wasn't going to break him like

straight from 2006 :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=50978970&postcount=2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=55805847

http://www.vertikal.net/uploads/tx_filelinks/ca_2012_9_p24-33.pdf

That's surprisingly cheap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Usually the roof comes off these sheds first, It may be bolted, screwed or nailed in place, then the side panels can be removed from the corner/supporting posts and floor. Then the corner posts get unbolted and the floor is usually one or two pieces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

That's surprisingly cheap!

Minimum 6 hours + travel time

Advertisement