Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online shop

Options
  • 23-05-2014 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I am wondering what is involved in setting up an online shop? I am just interested in doing it on the side as a way to raise some extra funds rather than being totally financially dependent on its sucess (for now anyway). It is something I have wanted to do for many years and often dream about owning a b&m shop some day. I have sold my items on eBay etc and have made a nice profit over the last few years. There appears to be a demand and people often ask me if I have a shop. There is nothing like it online from what I can see so at least its unique!

So now I'm getting the urge to go that step further but I don't know where to start. Is it even worth doing?

Can anyone advise me on what I would need to do or what costs would go into setting up such a site? What needs to be done once its up and running and what costs are involved once it is running?

It is something I really want to do but I lack confidence when it comes to the plunge and I end up convincing myself that I won't be able to do it.. For me to be brave I actually need a step by step guide :-) I have tried to research it already but just end up confused and bogged down and then just hide away until the urge comes back!!

Guide me wise people!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭pedronomix

What a fabulous opportunity for the posters on here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

pims wrote: »
    Hi,

I am wondering what is involved in setting up an online shop? I am just interested in doing it on the side as a way to raise some extra funds rather than being totally financially dependent on its sucess (for now anyway). It is something I have wanted to do for many years and often dream about owning a b&m shop some day. I have sold my items on eBay etc and have made a nice profit over the last few years. There appears to be a demand and people often ask me if I have a shop. There is nothing like it online from what I can see so at least its unique!

So now I'm getting the urge to go that step further but I don't know where to start. Is it even worth doing?

Can anyone advise me on what I would need to do or what costs would go into setting up such a site? What needs to be done once its up and running and what costs are involved once it is running?

It is something I really want to do but I lack confidence when it comes to the plunge and I end up convincing myself that I won't be able to do it.. For me to be brave I actually need a step by step guide :-) I have tried to research it already but just end up confused and bogged down and then just hide away until the urge comes back!!

Guide me wise people!!

Do you know anyone - Friends or Family that have an online shop or business? Anyone you can talk to about how to get started?

If not ask a web designer/company, most initial meetings are free to discuss what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Just register the address you want to use, build your site and start selling. You can make it as easy or as hard as you like really. Unless you have time to dedicate to figuring it all out you are better off just sticking with eBay.

You could get a basic online shop up and running in about a day for <€100 if you wanted its like anything you get what you pay for.

Advertisement