Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

banned from AH

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

I persume you can see the deleted posts from the first poster and the OP, where the first poster suggests his mother becomes a prostitute and the OP's still visible response at the start of the thread before my posts

Just to note the tone of the thread before I responded but these posts have been deleted

• Registered Users Posts: 33,701 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The first person to respond didn't suggest the OP's mother should become a prostitute. They suggested she become a cleaner. It was a misdirection joke, the humour being he made it seem like he was going to say she should become a prostitute, but instead said she could clean for the landlord. That poster then edited their own post because they themselves felt they crossed a line.

Your post:
    Boombastic wrote: »
    OP if your mam has addiction problems there is support out there for both of you

http://www.drugs.ie/services/

In a thread where a young guy is talking about how he and his mother can no longer afford where they currently lived and were being made homeless, with absolutely no mention of any addiction problems or even any drug use whatsoever, your post doesn't come across as a joke, it's insulting and trolling. You flat out implied that the mother was a drug addict. That's the difference.

Regardless of which, it doesn't matter what other people post. You're responsible for your own posts. And in this case, your post was over the line.

Ban upheld. You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.

Penn wrote: »
    The first person to respond didn't suggest the OP's mother should become a prostitute. They suggested she become a cleaner. It was a misdirection joke, the humour being he made it seem like he was going to say she should become a prostitute, but instead said she could clen for the landlord. That poster then edited their own post because they themselves felt they crossed a line.

Your post:

In a thread where a young guy is talking about how he and his mother can no longer afford where they currently lived and were being made homeless, with absolutely no mention of any addiction problems or even any drug use whatsoever, your post doesn't come across as a joke, it's insulting and trolling. You flat out implied that the mother was a drug addict. That's the difference.

Regardless of which, it doesn't matter what other people post. You're responsible for your own posts. And in this case, your post was over the line.

Ban upheld. You may ask for an admin to review this decision if you wish.
    it wasn't meant to be a joke, it was a serious suggestion. letting a poster know there is help

(ironically the mother could afford to smoke and puts this in front of paying rent has an addiction priblem) now you can make up yourself as you have done what that implies, it implies nothing only if it is an issue there is support out therr

why was the thread not moved to accomodation and property or a more suitable forum, if it was considered serious?

yes I want it reviewed

a young guy with a bmw and ups connection who posts about cars he'd like for his dad...i'm not sure what offense can be taken by mentioning a father

it wasn't meant to be a joke, it was a serious suggestion. letting a poster know there is help

Help for a problem that you implied was there, but which was never confirmed nor even hinted at by the OP.
    (ironically the mother could afford to smoke and puts this in front of paying rent has an addiction priblem) now you can make up yourself as you have done what that implies, it implies nothing only if it is an issue there is support out therr

The fact that the mother was a smoker was only said after your post, so it had no bearing on your post.
    why was the thread not moved to accomodation and property or a more suitable forum, if it was considered serious?

And yet you didn't report the post to ask the mods to move it. Besides which, mods aren't online all the time, and the time between the thread being made and your post was just over an hour.
    a young guy with a bmw and ups connection who posts about cars he'd like for his dad...i'm not sure what offense can be taken by mentioning a father

The mods didn't action you for that post.
    yes I want it reviewed

I'll let the Admin know.

Help for a problem that you implied was there, but which was never confirmed nor even hinted at by the OP.

The fact that the mother was a smoker was only said after your post, so it had no bearing on your post.

And yet you didn't report the post to ask the mods to move it. Besides which, mods aren't online all the time, and the time between the thread being made and your post was just over an hour.

The mods didn't action you for that post.

I'll let the Admin know.
    yes I did ask the mod to move it and I got a response from the mod

will I post the pm's?

• Advertisement

yes I did ask the mod to move it and I got a response from the mod

will I post the pm's?

Was this before or after your post?

If it was after your post, it has no relevance on the post you were banned for.

If it was before your post, why did you still post what you did if you felt it was a serious thread? What led you to believe that above all else, the OP's mother was most likely a drug addict?

Quote: Boombastic
    tbh I don't care about the ban.

if you really cared about this chap you would have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum by now like accommodation and property or social welfare were the poster could get constructive advice.

Instead it has been left in AH as a platform to abuse me unchecked and offer illegal advice such as impersonate a previous and commit fraud

Date: 22/05/2014 | 14:25
    Suddenly you've a problem with abuse on the thread? Strange.

Was this before or after your post?

If it was after your post, it has no relevance on the post you were banned for.

If it was before your post, why did you still post what you did if you felt it was a serious thread? What led you to believe that above all else, the OP's mother was most likely a drug addict?

did I say it was most likely? I said if...??

if the op had come back and said yes that is an issue thanks, I didn't know who to reach out to, it would be a whole different discussion

Quote: Boombastic
    tbh I don't care about the ban.

if you really cared about this chap you would have moved this thread to a more appropriate forum by now like accommodation and property or social welfare were the poster could get constructive advice.

Instead it has been left in AH as a platform to abuse me unchecked and offer illegal advice such as impersonate a previous and commit fraud

Date: 22/05/2014 | 14:25
    Suddenly you've a problem with abuse on the thread? Strange.

So not only was it after your post, it was after your ban. Which means it had no bearing on what you posted, nor did you bring your concerns about the thread to the attention of the mods before you made your post.

Ban upheld. I've asked the admin to review this decision as you requested.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Why did you post this?
    OP if your mam has addiction problems there is support out there for both of you

Please explain your reasoning.

• Advertisement

Gordon wrote: »
    Why did you post this?

Please explain your reasoning.

there are many contributory factors to homelessness, addiction can be one, I put a link to a support site.

That's all, if it was an issue I thought it might be information or support if this was an issue

Why did you post this, prior to suggesting the ops mother was a drug addict?
    stay at your dads

Why did you post this, prior to suggesting the ops mother was a drug addict?
    because it too may have been a solution

listen, I would have engaged with all the posters using the thread to have petty swipes at me if I wanted to drag the op off topic or troll

and just to note threshold and other support agencies had already been mentioned before my second post. I would have linked these instead, I suppose I was trying ti 'think outside the box' on what might be useful

a young guy with a bmw and ups connection
    Where does he mention this?

Where does he mention this?
    in his previous posts

but he explained on thread that the bmws was his uncle's and upc, well i'm not sure what the craic in the end was with the upc but it was pointed out by someone else upc only deal with one contact and not 16 year olds

I don't know if that was before or after a poster linked to a adverts ad with the same name from the 30 year old, anyway it's all there in the thread, I , i'm not logging in and out to link and quote

It was mentioned after you posted initially, so it has no bearing on this, so I'm not sure why you mentioned it in this thread.

Unless you searched his posts prior to posting on the thread?

It was mentioned after you posted initially, so it has no bearing on this, so I'm not sure why you mentioned it in this thread.

Unless you searched his posts prior to posting on the thread?
    What if I did search his posts? what then?

you can move the goal posts all you like. I have given an explanation and have shown proof I asked a mod to move it.

and you can dismiss my asking the mod to move it as being after my banning, but it was clearly obvious what a ****fest the thread had become at that stage with more posters than not posting to throw a bit of abuse towards me and not offer any advice, solutions or comfort to the op, beyond of course the 'boombastics a prick, i'm more outraged than you are'

What if I did search his posts? what then?
    Did you? I think I'd understand this more if you did.

Did you? I think I'd understand this more if you did.

in conclusion
    a) I didn't abuse anyone
    b)I didn't call anyone a troll
    c) I didn't back seat mod, or discuss a mods decision on thread
    d) I didn't drag the thread off topic

e) I did offer advice
    f) I did ask a mod to move the forum
    g) I didn't engage in with any of the outraged posters - I couldn't report them as my access was restricted
    h) I persumed the op had read the charter
    I) I did read the op's previous posts
    j) Your not the only one who doesn't fully understand this

that's it,

I rest my case

• Advertisement

OK, so you confirm that you read his posts prior to your posting. Therefore you saw his post here:
    i moved to Dublin in 2010 because my father passed and my mother had began to drink a lot
    And then posted this:
    stay at your dads

I'd say that was blatant trolling.

OK, so you confirm that you read his posts prior to your posting. Therefore you saw his post here:

And then posted this:

I'd say that was blatant trolling.

I didn't read his all his posts, I scanned through the posts and headings it shows and the bmw and upc thing is there, so no I didn't see this.

and you're telling me his mother has an addiction problem, yet I am being banned for linking to an addiction support site

Information & Support
    Details of services providing general information on drugs and alcohol and details on more specific services in your area - essentially there to help you get started and point you in the right direction. Support services include helplines, harm reduction services, help with drug and alcohol related problems, and support groups for drug and alcohol users and their families and friend's.

that's the page I linked to

I don't believe that your intentions were not meant to cause a negative reaction from the OP and/or other commenters. You've been warned, and banned, plenty of times for your trolling so you have a lot of experience in trolling. That also means that you've had a lot of guidance and help from moderators in how to behave appropriately. Considering this, I think the ban is appropriate.

I'd suggest being careful about your posting style and removing the trollery, if not, you'll be getting many more bans from fora, and if necessary, the site.

Ban remains.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement