Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help needed.

• 23-05-2014 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Hey all, not sure if this is the correct place but if not sure the mods will redirect me.

Basically I like to do a couple of 5km 10km races over the summer to keep me fit for football.

This year i am trying something differnt.

I am doing the first three races of the race series that leads up to the marathon.

so thats one end of June, one end of july and one end of August.

what im looking to do is one maybe two more races each month to help me with the increase in distances?

I ran the relay work 5km last night and did so in just under 18.20 so im at that kind of standard. I run 5-6 times a week but my pacing is wild for anything over 10km. i really struggle to keep any constancy and am trying to find distances that i can race with a bit of competion to see roughly where i am.

any help would be great? Would it be worth looking at a running club or something for help?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Definitely a running club would help with your pacing. Running in a group will reign you in until you get the feel for what you're doing.
    How are you pacing yourself at the minute, are you just doing the "hard and fast for as long as you can" approach, or have you any kind of structure on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057204941 would be a great place to get advice if the marathon is your goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

If you're looking to keep fit for football then stepping up in distance to the half marathon isn't if great benefit. Training to run for long distances is good for helping you run long distances without stopping.
    The Cork hurling team employed the help of an 800m runner to help them with their fitness training last year and this is probably the ideal preparation for a stop start game like football where it is all sprint and recovery. They were within a few seconds of winning an all Ireland so it certainly did then no harm anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,142 ✭✭✭rom

If you're looking to keep fit for football then stepping up in distance to the half marathon isn't if great benefit. Training to run for long distances is good for helping you run long distances without stopping.
    The Cork hurling team employed the help of an 800m runner to help them with their fitness training last year and this is probably the ideal preparation for a stop start game like football where it is all sprint and recovery. They were within a few seconds of winning an all Ireland so it certainly did then no harm anyway.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Thanks for this, yeah i am aware of that its just i have decided this year to do the three races as i have free entry to them. wont do me any harm i would imagine to do the longer distances and enjoy the challange of the longer distances.

Thanks for the help might be a better approach for next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,709 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The thing is, if you join a running club you will quickly realise that its a far superior sport to football and will find yourself giving up the football.

Just something to watch out for.....

Sauve wrote: »
    Definitely a running club would help with your pacing. Running in a group will reign you in until you get the feel for what you're doing.
    How are you pacing yourself at the minute, are you just doing the "hard and fast for as long as you can" approach, or have you any kind of structure on it?

Well for 5km because its pretty short i just run till the tank is empty. On general jogs i know my rough markers and try to keep a steady pace using my stop watch. If i am at 4.30 im too slow if im at 3.30 im to fast etc. i feel your probably correct and running with a group would allow me to have a better structure to it especially with distances outside my comfort zone.

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    The thing is, if you join a running club you will quickly realise that its a far superior sport to football and will find yourself giving up the football.

Just something to watch out for.....

really could be a strong possablilty as love running and strongest part of football game is i can run all day so i might be better cutting out the bit with the football lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

aodea wrote: »
    i have decided this year to do the three races as i have free entry to them.

How'd you swing that?

Murph_D wrote: »
    How'd you swing that?

ah through work so cant complain.

major bonus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement