Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice for 8km under 30min training

• 23-05-2014 1:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Hey! I'm a recreational runner but have been timing myself a lot now days and trying to reach certain goals.

I want to run 8km in 30min or under, I know this is difficult, but I think it's possible. Went running this morning, got 37min for 8km on a trail in Phoenix Park. Compared to 8km a few weeks ago, which I got 39min, I think it's a good improvement. Planning to continue running this trail and try to get better times 2-3 times a week. I do a lot of martial arts also.

Just want to know if there's anything else I should take into account? I've noticed that during the late stages of my runs my feet hurt a lot but I keep going. I think this is because of my shoes ... will get proper running shoes soon!

I'm also 16, any negative long terms affects I should be cautious about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Hey! I'm a recreational runner but have been timing myself a lot now days and trying to reach certain goals.

I want to run 8km in 30min or under, I know this is difficult, but I think it's possible. Went running this morning, got 37min for 8km on a trail in Phoenix Park. Compared to 8km a few weeks ago, which I got 39min, I think it's a good improvement. Planning to continue running this trail and try to get better times 2-3 times a week. I do a lot of martial arts also.

Just want to know if there's anything else I should take into account? I've noticed that during the late stages of my runs my feet hurt a lot but I keep going. I think this is because of my shoes ... will get proper running shoes soon!

I'm also 16, any negative long terms affects I should be cautious about?

I could launch into a whole description of different kinds of training but you're 16, you wanna get faster and you seem to enjoy running, why not join a club?

A lad your age will come on in huge leaps with a decent coach/ others to push them

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

drquirky wrote: »
    I could launch into a whole description of different kinds of training but you're 16, you wanna get faster and you seem to enjoy running, why not join a club?

A lad your age will come on in huge leaps with a decent coach/ others to push them

Good luck

Don't know many clubs around the area that dedicate to running ... care to point me towards the right direction? Thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Don't know many clubs around the area that dedicate to running ... care to point me
    towards the right direction? Thanks :)

Loads. Close to the park Donore Harriers, MSB Tallaght AC and Bros Pearse are out Tallaght/ Knockloyn way , Crusaders in Irishtown and Raheny would all be good choices, really depends on what's convenient to you!

Most clubs are really welcoming of 16 yr olds who show interest in running- if any of those suit you location wise I can point you towards someone on boards who is in that club and could help w/ intros etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

drquirky wrote: »
    Loads. Close to the park Donore Harriers, MSB Tallaght AC and Bros Pearse are out Tallaght/ Knockloyn way , Crusaders in Irishtown and Raheny would all be good choices, really depends on what's convenient to you!

Most clubs are really welcoming of 16 yr olds who show interest in running- if any of those suit you location wise I can point you towards someone on boards who is in that club and could help w/ intros etc

I live in City Centre and don't really fancy travelling ... but thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure I'll find one suitable location wise. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

I live in City Centre and don't really fancy travelling ... but thanks for the suggestions, I'm sure I'll find one suitable location wise. :)

If your wiling to travel to the Phoenix Park from city centre, then Donore are within distance and Crusaders in Ringsend are city!

• Advertisement
Advertisement