Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lethal Ecstasy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,541 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Drugs are bad. M'kay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

Illegal drugs can be bad for you, who knew.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭tashiusclay

Its the illegality of certain drugs that makes them dangerous, not the drug itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

[QUOTE=Conmaicne Mara;90517144]xxxxxx drugs can be bad for you, who knew.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Illegal drugs can be bad for you, who knew.

A lot of people choose to ignore this.

They talk about legalisation but won't admit that taking illegal drugs right now is dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

ruthloss wrote: »
    Fixed that for you.

No you didn't :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

With two young people dead in the last few days due to taking illegal drugs - perhaps give them a miss...

Yes, there have only ever been two deaths due to consuming illegal drugs.

Its the illegality of certain drugs that makes them dangerous, not the drug itself.

But as of today they are dangerous. So we should encourage people not to use them...unless they want to die.

Yes, there have only ever been two deaths due to consuming illegal drugs.

No, lots more obviously, but people have short memories.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

The illegality makes them more dangerous. Taking legalised drugs isn't without risk - just look at alcohol and tobacco.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

It wasn't ecstasy that killed them it was a concoction of drugs sold as ecstasy.

It's the law that causes these problems not the drugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Yet another example that the purpose of drug prohibition is to harm people not to protect them.

ScumLord wrote: »
    It's the law that causes these problems not the drugs.

Pretty sure it was the drugs that killed them. We can talk about legalising drugs all you like, but as of now, as of tonight, taking illegal drugs is a complete mugs game and is essentially ingesting unknown poisons into your body for lols.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

So is eating a chicken nugget meal from Mickey D.'s, but you'll not be taking my nuggets from me this day. Not ever.

Pretty sure it was the drugs that killed them. We can talk about legalising drugs all you like, but as of now, as of tonight, taking illegal drugs is a complete mugs game and is essentially ingesting unknown poisons into your body for lols.
    If ecstasy was legal and regulated deaths would be extremely rare. When people die of drugs today it's most often through prolonged abuse or contaminated drugs that aren't what the person intended to take.

Our laws do nothing to prevent drug addiction, they make the problem worse by all accounts and they actively encourage the abuse of the market with unknown chemicals by lowlifes that don't care who they hurt.

It doesn't matter if you dislike drugs, I think it's clear at this stage to any rational person that the cure is worse than the disease when it comes to drug laws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

I'd urge anyone to only buy from reputable dealers at this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

...It doesn't matter if you dislike drugs, I think it's clear at this stage to any rational person that the cure is worse than the disease when it comes to drug laws.

I agree. My view has largely turned around on this. It looks like we're stuck with these dangerous narcotics, so they might as well be produced by respectable people who know what they're doing, and regulated by people employed by the State to give a sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

If ecstasy was legal and regulated deaths would be extremely rare. When people die of drugs today it's most often through prolonged abuse or contaminated drugs that aren't what the person intended to take.

Our laws do nothing to prevent drug addiction, they make the problem worse by all accounts and they actively encourage the abuse of the market with unknown chemicals by lowlifes that don't care who they hurt.

It doesn't matter if you dislike drugs, I think it's clear at this stage to any rational person that the cure is worse than the disease when it comes to drug laws.

Damn you and your sensible posting!

If ecstasy was legal and regulated deaths would be extremely rare.

But it's not.

So do you agree that, while it remains illegal, people should be strongly advised not to ingest ecstasy (or stuff sold as ecstasy)?

BearBanjer wrote: »
    I'd urge anyone to only buy from reputable dealers at this time.

You'll know them becasue they will have little badges. :o

• Advertisement

But it's not.

So do you agree that, while it remains illegal, people should be strongly advised not to ingest ecstasy (or stuff sold as ecstasy)?

No, because ecstasy, despite its legal status, is among the safest drugs available.

But it's not.

No, lifes to short. The chances of getting the bad stuff is pretty rare too, usually it's just shyte that's not worth buying.

No, because ecstasy, despite its legal status, is among the safest drugs available.

But taking it (or something they were told was it) led to the sudden death of these 2 young men.

If you could have had a word in their ears last week, would you not have advised them not to take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

You'll know them becasue they will have little badges. :o

Yeah there's those ones alright. And the ones who drive around in ice-cream vans. :)

No, lifes to short. The chances of getting the bad stuff is pretty rare too, usually it's just shyte that's not worth buying.

So you're happy young people are buying ecstasy? As long as they can see it's good ecstasy, with their pharmacological x-ray vision?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 416 ✭✭gouche

Thread title is mis-leading.
    These people weren't taking ecstasy, they were taking a mixture of substances they believed to be ecstasy.
    Pedantic, yes but it's an important distinction.

A regulated industry, or even one that accepts that people will take these drugs and provides a safe source/testing facilities would cut down on this type of stuff happening.

Instead we'll have the media going crazy for the next few days about these 'killer drugs' and not a thing will be done to actually confront the problem.

This country, and many others, needs a frank and open debate on drug policy as the current situation benefits nobody but scumbags that sell shit like these pills currently floating around.

But taking it (or something they were told was it) led to the sudden death of these 2 young men.

If you could have had a word in their ears last week, would you not have advised them not to take it?

I'd have advised them to exercise caution when taking drugs and make use of resources such pillreports.com.

gouche wrote: »
    Thread title is mis-leading.
    These people weren't taking ecstasy, they were taking a mixture of substances they believed to be ecstasy.
    Pedantic, yes but it's an important distinction.

A regulated industry, or even one that accepts that people will take these drugs and provides a safe source/testing facilities would cut down on this type of stuff happening.

Instead we'll have the media going crazy for the next few days about these 'killer drugs' and not a thing will be done to actually confront the problem.

This country, and many others, needs a frank and open debate on drug policy.

But in the absence of legalisation and regulation you would advise people not to take illegal drugs, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭AdolfHipster

Sounds like an all-girl grunge band

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I hate that whinging argument "Waaaah, alcohol and cigarettes are legal, so should hard core drugs". Its like a child saying "he can do that, why cant i do this". If muppets wanna take hardcore drugs, let them. Its just a god awful shame that some people have to pay with their lives - for what, a high or buzz.

Smoking a joint is one thing (i think is should be allowed on medical grounds), but legalising the likes of that ****e is moronic. The world doesnt need more sustances that can harm you made legal, if anything stricter control on cigarettes and alcohol.

But in the absence of legalisation and regulation you would advise people not to take illegal drugs, right?

No I wouldn't because that would make me something of a hypocrite, see?

I'd advise people to be wary of what they are taking and only buy from people they know and trust.
    However, I would agree that in the absence of regulation you are taking a gamble on what you consume. This is a risk I took and it's a risk people will continue to take for eternity - hence the need for regulation.

A local person was knocked over and killed while out walking his dog last week...should someone have had a word in his ear the week before to advise him never to walk his dog? EVERY activity in life carries risks, the illegal status of most recreational drugs only succeeds in pushing from them from the 'risky' category to the 'very risky' one, is this what you're supporting and agreeing with?

I hate that whinging argument "Waaaah, alcohol and cigarettes are legal, so should hard core drugs". Its like a child saying "he can do that, why cant i do this". If muppets wanna take hardcore drugs, let them. Its just a god awful shame that some people have to pay with their lives - for what, a high or buzz.

Smoking a joint is one thing (i think is should be allowed on medical grounds), but legalising the likes of that ****e is moronic. The world doesnt more sustances that can harm you made legal, if anything stricter control on cigarettes and alcohol.

What gives you the right to tell other adults what they can and can't put into their body?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,179 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Someone I knew from Holland told me pills are still illegal over there, but you can take them to government run clinics and have them tested to see what's actually in them. That would be a first step to stopping these kind of deaths in this country, surely.

No I wouldn't because that would make me something of a hypocrite, see?

I'd advise people to be wary of what they are taking and only buy from people they know and trust.
    However, I would agree that in the absence of regulation you are taking a gamble on what you consume. This is a risk I took and it's a risk people will continue to take for eternity - hence the need for regulation.

I trust my drug-dealer like he was my own brother. His desire to make money by selling me a poison is just a colourful character trait. He's got my back at all times.

• Advertisement

A local person was knocked over and killed while out walking his dog last week...should someone have had a word in his ear the week before to advise him never to walk his dog? EVERY activity in life carries risks, the illegal status of most recreational drugs only succeeds in pushing from them from the 'risky' category to the 'very risky' one, is this what you're supporting and agreeing with?

Dog walking is not the same as ingesting a poisonous substance.

I trust my drug-dealer like he was my own brother. His desire to make money by selling me a poison is just a colourful character trait. He's got my back at all times.

Ok - and this is where I stop replying to this thread.

Dog walking is not the same as ingesting a poisonous substance.

But they're both activities that carry an element of risk, and all substances have the capacity to be poisonous, it just depends on dosage, Water can be classed as a poison, for example.

So as I was saying, do you support keeping ecstacy illegal? What do you think is achieved by this??

Your posts aren't making a lot of sense, you could say exactly the statement about your local off licence owner, both are selling a poison aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭mfergus

So my parents weren't telling lies when they told me drugs were dangerous...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

What gives you the right to tell other adults what they can and can't put into their body?

Guess you missed "if muppets wanna take hardcore drugs let them".

To elaborate more, if there was a referendum to legalise these hardcore drugs, id vote no. Just like id vote no to people being able to buy hand grenades or assault rifles.

If your life is honestly that unfulfilling that you want hardcore drugs to fill in a missing gap, then your doing it wrong. There are plenty of things in life that can harm or kill you, only a fool goes out of his way to increase his chances of harm or death.

But they're both activities that carry an element of risk, and all substances have the capacity to be poisonous, it just depends on dosage, Water can be classed as a poison, for example.

So as I was saying, do you support keeping ecstacy illegal? What do you think is achieved by this??

I think there's an argumant for and against legalisation. I'd be open to having the debate nationally on it.

But in the meantime, I can't believe the number of people who, AT THE SAME TIME, call for legalisation and regulation to make drugs safer AND refuse to advise people not to take these, by definition, unsafe drugs.

Either we need legislation to make them safe, or they are safe now and we don't need legislation.

Your posts aren't making a lot of sense, you could say exactly the statement about your local off licence owner, both are selling a poison aren't they?

Yes, but one is at leaset quality controlled and almost never results in sudden death.

Yes, but one is at leaset quality controlled and almost never results in sudden death.

Oh dear...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

No, lots more obviously, but people have short memories.

memory loss due to all the drugs they've been imbibing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Miprocin

At the very least use reagent testing kits. A combination of Marquis, Robadope and Simons Reagent kits should at least give you some idea as to what to expect.

BTW, if anyone has one of these pills and would like to have it analysed. EcstasyData are testing one pill free per month. PM me and I may be able to make it happen.

Guess you missed "if muppets wanna take hardcore drugs let them".

To elaborate more, if there was a referendum to legalise these hardcore drugs, id vote no. Just like id vote no to people being able to buy hand grenades or assault rifles.

If your life is honestly that unfulfilling that you want hardcore drugs to fill in a missing gap, then your doing it wrong. There are plenty of things in life that can harm or kill you, only a fool goes out of his way to increase his chances of harm or death.

Do you drink alcohol or smoke cigarettes?

memory loss due to all the drugs they've been imbibing :)

Almost certainly

Miprocin wrote: »
    At the very least use reagent testing kits. A combination of Marquis, Robadope and Simons Reagent kits should at least give you some idea as to what to expect.

BTW, if anyone has one of these pills and would like to have it analysed. EcstasyData are testing one pill free per month. PM me and I may be able to make it happen.

Most people don't give a **** about testing anything. They've been sold the myth that buying a pill off a fella who was in your brother's year in school and is a sound fella is perfectly safe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭cletus van damme

there are so many other factors at play it's not as simple as blaming the drugs - even if it wasn't ecstasy

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/hse-alert-over-drugs-linked-to-three-teen-deaths-in-past-month-30297694.html

The 16-year-old boy who died in Waterford is alleged to have taken six tablets at the weekend and the tests in his case positively identified the PMMA.

like holy fcuk batman:eek: - I know seasoned pill merchants and I've taken a few myself but 6 pills is a heavy dose . At 16 years old that's asking for trouble

other reports i read last night said that other drugs were at play.
    poly drug use isn't the smartest thing to be fair.

I think drugs should be legal - cos people would know what they were buying. Or at least allow testing or occur without fear of arrest

• Advertisement
Advertisement