Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lethal Ecstasy

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

In reality very little, you'd probably have a really good time. In fact you statistically have more of a chance of dying from a night of binge drinking

But there is a chance that you could get some MDMA replacement pill like the one that led to the deaths of those young boys. And there's a chance you could take two many of them and die.

It's a real pity because if we had some proper regulation (Holland a good example, you can check your pill and have it tested before you take it) these deaths would be avoidable

I wouldnt have a good time, but thats just me, you will have to take my word for it.

I honestly dont think legalising will stop the very negative aspects of drugs or the use of them. I would rather someone could check to see if the pill they were about to take is poison. But not to the point where they are made legal. The black market would never go away, people would just chase the newer, untested illegal highs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

I wouldnt have a good time, but thats just me, you will have to take my word for it.

I honestly dont think legalising will stop the very negative aspects of drugs or the use of them. I would rather someone could check to see if the pill they were about to take is poison. But not to the point where they are made legal. The black market would never go away, people would just chase the newer, untested illegal highs.

What in gods name are you basing this little nugget on?

You think people would crave untested illegal highs if they could get MDMA in a regulated safe environment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What rationale do you have for not legalising though?
    The fact that most drugs were banned because of their effects on "morality / social order" in the mid 20th centry is one of the main reasons I want them legalised. In principle, safety issues aside, it smacks of "thought crime" to au "you can't take something which makes you feel like this, in case it makes you disregard social taboos".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

No we don't. What makes you so different from everyone else? You can condemn it all you want but to claim it won't affect you is ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,387 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

catallus wrote: »
    I'll finish on a personal note and I might be shouted down for it; for every single one of ye on here saying drugs should be legalised, I really truly hope you have to witness first-hand the pain and helplessness of seeing a loved one get lost in the labyrinth of drug addiction; I hope your family will be plagued by what you so dearly wish for. I mean that.

I'm out.

Wow, when I left this thread it was on the verge of going down the toilet, but I didn't think it would get this bad. What an utterly childish, disgusting comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

No we don't. What makes you so different from everyone else? You can condemn it all you want but to claim it won't affect you is ridiculous.

Agreed. I defy anyone in a safe comfortable environment with people they love and trust, NOT to feel some really positive effects from MDMA. There's a damn good reason they call it ecstasy.

I feel it should be controlled and usage limited. (I would imagine abuse would feck your seratonin levels up.) But how you would police this is beyond me. It's a tricky one. Safe pills and education on how to use them safely, would mean less risks but would people really know when enough was enough. They would be abused by some, it's inevitable.

In an ideal world dealers wouldn't sell crap. It's bad for business - happy customers are repeat customers. But people are not always discerning, they don't test pills or use pill report databases, just buy 'em and try 'em.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

People who argue "if" drugs were made legal, this would all stop, simple have taken to many mind altering substances - If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

Alcohol is an addictive mind-altering drug which kills far more people in Ireland than all the illegal drugs combined.

But alcohol pushers get to sponsor the GAA. What's that about? Why are you so worried about illegal drugs, when the legal ones are killing more people all the time in plain view?

Because you are a hypocrite, and excited about other people's vices to distract from your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭poundapunnet

Fact is, drugs are illegal.

Hard to argue that
    Fact is, drugs are unsafe.

Many drugs can be unsafe, especially when taken in excess and when combined. But this has arse all to do with your first point.

First of all, and I cannot for the life of me understand why this is so hard for people to understand, if drugs were legalised, sold from licensed vendors, and subject to the same checks and balances that everything else sold for human consumption is, THEY WOULD BE SAFER. Not totally safe, still not safe if taken in excess, but safer. If yokes were legal, that young lad would not have died from taking PMA. THAT is a fact.

Second of all, I could go, right now, and get high off my arse on completely legal products I have around the house. Many of which, although legal, are far more dangerous than many drugs, weed in particular.
    Fact is, drugs finance crime.

They sure do, and that's something buyers have to negotiate with their own conscience. But the reason they finance crime is because they are illegal. I try to be a conscientious consumer when I buy drugs, which is fairly easy because I really only smoke weed, which brings me to...
    Fact is, people become addicted to them.

SOME people become addicted to SOME drugs. In my time I've had MDMA, speed, acid, mushrooms, mephedrone, those microdot thingies and weed. Amazingly I'm not addicted to any of them. The only one I consume on anything like a regular basis is weed, and I can happily live without it. Prohibition does not stop people getting addicted to drugs, and in some cases it actively facilitates it.
    People who argue "if" drugs were made legal, this would all stop, simple have taken to many mind altering substances - If my aunt had balls, she would be my uncle.

Pro drug heads really dont care about society as a whole or the fact that drugs create a multitude of real problems, and argue about "what ifs". Its simply a case of, i want to take drugs and feck anyone who disagrees with me, i dont care about the misery or crime that surrounds drugs, its all about me.

Nobody is arguing that 'this would all stop', people are arguing that many things would be better. There are also shades of grey that seem to escape many of the just-say-nos, if I could adopt your 'logic' for a minute it must mean ye haven't taken enough mind expanding substances. People might be in favour of decriminalisation rather than legalisation, people differ on which substances should be included etc.

It's also not just idle 'what-iffery', there are now several countries you can look at for case studies of what's likely to happen if decriminalisation or full legalisation is implemented.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭Shakespeare's Sister

I wouldn't be one for recommending anyone take drugs (if a person chooses to do so of their own accord, that's their decision, but they should exercise caution rather than jumping in blindly; they are not for everyone, and there are risks attached with them being underground and unregulated) however, the case spoken about in the opening post, while beyond awful... it doesn't change the fact that the *vast* majority of people who do so do not die - and are fine afterwards. And, as with alcohol, the vast majority don't become addicted, don't abuse them, and (as is less so the case with alcohol) stop taking them by a certain point in life.
    If a person is going to argue against drugs (as they are perfectly entitled to do so) they can't discount the above just because it's inconvenient for them.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭renegademaster

Dog walking is not the same as ingesting a poisonous substance.

you're right, he really should have been horse riding

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/law-and-order/4537874/Ecstasy-no-more-dangerous-than-horse-riding.html

Taking ecstasy is no more dangerous than riding a horse, according to the head of the Government's drug advisory body.

Writing in an academic journal, Professor David Nutt said taking ecstasy was no worse than the risks of "equasy", a term he invented to describe people's addiction to horse-riding.

Prof Nutt is the chairman of the Home Office's Advisory Council on the Misuse of Drugs which next week is likely to say that ecstasy should be downgraded to a Class B drug.

now imagine for a second the amount of pure mdma powder and furthermore the amount of real little xtc pills produced in clandestine labs across the planet over the last 30 years or so and bear in mind the massive dance scene that fueled the rise of xtc, at this stage there's been billions of pills produced and swallowed and look at how few have died from dropping a banger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Are you taking drugs now? One minute im telling you, you cant take drugs, next i telling you, you can!!!

Ill try simplify, if you take hardcore drugs, i think your a muppet, hence "let the muppets take drugs", because they will regardless of whether they are legal or not.

And the muppets who take these drugs are destroying thier own lives (as you put it).

Drugs are illegal, they will remain illegal, but muppets will continue to do them regardless.

I didn't say they're destroying their own lives. I said that you are doing your best to destroy their lives. By deliberately making drug use more dangerous and trying to get them criminal records for engaging in activities that harm nobody but themselves. And all of this because you think they are "muppets". What an absolutely reprehensible thing to do.
    Fact is, drugs are illegal.

Fact is, drugs are unsafe.

Fact is, drugs finance crime.

Fact is, people become addicted to them.

Define unsafe.

I don't think anybody in this thread was arguing that.
    Pro drug heads really dont care about society as a whole or the fact that drugs create a multitude of real problems, and argue about "what ifs". Its simply a case of, i want to take drugs and feck anyone who disagrees with me, i dont care about the misery or crime that surrounds drugs, its all about me.

Thus far all the "drug heads" in this thread have acknowledged that drugs create problems but they've also acknowledged that our current laws make those problems worse.
    I do care about the effect that drugs have on society and the young people stupid enough to take them dying. Just because i think people are muppets for taking them, doesnt mean i wanna see them die, ill settle for a really bad experience.

You don't care about the effects that drugs have on society. If you did you would be in favour of laws that reduce the damage they do society. Instead you're in favour of the disgusting situation we have now where as much damage as possible is done.

You don't want to see them die, you just want to maximise the chances of it happening. And if they don't die you want them to get criminal records. Essentially what you are saying is "if the drugs don't destroy your life then I'll do something that will". It's hard to put into words just how evil and vindictive your views on this topic are.

I wouldnt have a good time
    You have utterly no clue that you wouldn't, and might very likely have a good time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

So why would you not simple encourage young people to avoid taking illegal drugs? Would that not be a straight-forwardly good thing to do?

I don't know what my musings on other topics have to do with anything......I prefer to stick to the topic being discussed.

Because it has never worked as a solution , and never will.

So why keep trying to do something that obviously does not work.

the war on drugs was lost a decade ago. time to wake up
    People ARE going to take illegal drugs , no matter what you tell them , so armed with this info , i find it reckless and dangerous that the government dont legalize some drugs, if only to regulate the contents.

The retarded view on drug control and policy has caused countless deaths worldwide

It's bizarre that people are being so critical of them (they're entitled to their opinion but not much of the opinions here are embellished with back-up, just insults) and exaggerating the potential for death and other risks... yet insisting they stay illegal/criminalised, even though this factor alone heavily influences any dangers.

I'm neither anti nor pro drugs (although I don't understand the cocaine thing at all - just my view) but to me, it's nothing other than logic to change something from underground and unregulated and connected to very dangerous criminals... to regulated and legislated for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 AnaLiffey

Recently, tablets being sold as Ecstasy have been found to contain PMA and PMMA. PMA (Paramethoxyamphetamine) and PMMA (Paramethoxymethamphetamine) are stimulants with
    halluncinogenic effects similar to MDMA. However, they are toxic at lower doses than MDMA and can also take longer to take effect. These drugs have been implicated in a number of hospitalizations and deaths.

For harm reduction advice on these drugs go to drugs.ie then click pma

• Advertisement
Advertisement