Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mobile 4g in Sligo

Options
  • 23-05-2014 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I am told that Three have 4g running in Sligo but not advertised yet. Has anyone out there got a 4G enabled phone on Three that they would care to share some speed tests.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭davebirl

Yes, 4g is here and working about a month now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭deadlybuzzman

davebirl wrote: »
    Yes, 4g is here and working about a month now.

Great. Do you know if it goes as far as carraroe?

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭R_overs1

Great. Do you know if it goes as far as carraroe?

I usually lose 4G once I hit the Retail Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 walsh101

i get 4G with three and it starts around markeviez park but somethimes it drops the connection in the centre but sometimes not probably why they don't advertise it trying to fix problems with the connection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

I went with three just after I posted this thread ,centre of town and bottom of pears Rd 70mb was the fastest in saw.
    I am living close to ballymote and since last week I am getting 4G. Can't believe it 30mb. So tethering is working fine and been on a download spree since. Must be on the o2 mast as it is stronger in that direction.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

walsh101 wrote: »
    i get 4G with three and it starts around markeviez park but somethimes it drops the connection in the centre but sometimes not probably why they don't advertise it trying to fix problems with the connection

4g is slowly being rolled out around the Country. I get it intermittently around the Midlands, but it works well in Athlone. When it improves in Sligo, you'll see the likes of Vodafone offering a much better mobile broadband service, unlike another broadband provider I worked for in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

What do people think the odds of getting it as far as Collooney or further? My parents live outside Collooney and currently use Three mobile broadband, but it's dire for speaking to family overseas.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

Itzy wrote: »
    4g is slowly being rolled out around the Country. I get it intermittently around the Midlands, but it works well in Athlone. When it improves in Sligo, you'll see the likes of Vodafone offering a much better mobile broadband service, unlike another broadband provider I worked for in the area.

Vodafone offering a good service don't make me laugh,they wouldn't know how too.

rizzodun wrote: »
    What do people think the odds of getting it as far as Collooney or further? My parents live outside Collooney and currently use Three mobile broadband, but it's dire for speaking to family overseas.

I live between Collooney and Ballymote and right this second an getting 22MB.
    My DSL Speed is 3MB :D

bennyc wrote: »
    I live between Collooney and Ballymote and right this second an getting 22MB.
    My DSL Speed is 3MB :D

Cheers bennyc, is that on three?

• Advertisement

rizzodun wrote: »
    Cheers bennyc, is that on three?

Yep the Ryanair of the mobile industry in Ireland.
    I am on the 25 euro a month deal getting unlimited internet so as long as I can tether I am happy out. The only issue is Xbox Live, it keeps disconnecting after 5 minutes, I think its being throttled.

Yep the Ryanair of the mobile industry in Ireland.
    I am on the 25 euro a month deal getting unlimited internet so as long as I can tether I am happy out. The only issue is Xbox Live, it keeps disconnecting after 5 minutes, I think its being throttled.

Probably more to do with the latency on mobile than throttling I would speculate, going to look into getting the 4g mobile wifi for the parents so, they were never too keen on Call of Duty so Xbox Live shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 335i

Any word on Vodafone rolling out 4g in sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

O2/Three rolling out 4G in March on their network so my text on Edge says. They better hurry.

Seems in parts of town there's 4g available

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

sligono1 wrote: »
    Seems in parts of town there's 4g available

Been available for months now

shanec1928 wrote: »

Not on Vodafone yet...

Only changed to three recently from vodafone
    335i wrote: »
    Not on Vodafone yet...

Lucky to get 3G with them

sligono1 wrote: »
    Only changed to three recently from vodafone

Lucky to get 3G with them

Got this text from them the other day hopefully they are working on 4g:

"Vodafone are happy to announce that we are upgrading the network across the country and we are currently working in County Sligo. This will mean even better voice coverage and faster data speeds. We will be in touch to let you know when we are working on your area. For more information, please visit"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

LOL. I struggle to get 3G at times. Hopefully though as now a reluctant '3' customer at least that might soon change.

• Advertisement

A lot depends on your phone too.

Bought an iPhone 6 yesterday on an upgrade. Can now get 4G in deepest darkest South Sligo, whereas before I struggled to get two bars of 3G on iPhone 5.

R_overs1 wrote: »

Bought an iPhone 6 yesterday on an upgrade. Can now get 4G in deepest darkest South Sligo, whereas before I struggled to get two bars of 3G on iPhone 5.

It's seems to be around Sligo but not in it yet. Can get it in bundoran and Charlestown

It's seems to be around Sligo but not in it yet. Can get it in bundoran and Charlestown

Its in town. good enough coverage too.

Its in town. good enough coverage too.

On Vodafone? Since when

On Vodafone? Since when
    No 3

R_overs1 wrote: »

I wouldn't be forking out on an iphone 6 for 4G coverage, a Moto g with LTE will do the trick for under 140euro sim free and just go with whoever is offering the best deal plus coverage.
    Three seem to be the best as far as I can see also on Apple devices Three seem to be able to prevent tethering.

Three seem to be the best as far as I can see also on Apple devices Three seem to be able to prevent tethering.

My iP6 is Three and can tether. My last three phones have been with Three and I've had no issues with tethering.

Advertisement