Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New licence question - .22 / 25rd mag

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi folks - I'm sure this has been asked before but I was unable to find an answer so apologies if I am covering old ground.

I purchased a Ruger 10/22 last Saturday and I'm sitting here in work filling out my paper work for the licence. I would like to be able to use the larger 25 round mag with the rifle and was wondering do I need to request this "modification" on my application.

FYI I have been a gun owner for many years (shotguns and CZ .22).

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

If you want anything over 10 rounds in a mag it makes the firearm restricted and as such you need a restricted license to own it.

It's the same application process, but instead of the Super the application goes to the Chief Super where s/he will want ot know why a 25 round gun is needed over an unrestricted 10 (or fewer) gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Mackeral wrote: »
    Hi folks - I'm sure this has been asked before but I was unable to find an answer so apologies if I am covering old ground.

I purchased a Ruger 10/22 last Saturday and I'm sitting here in work filling out my paper work for the licence. I would like to be able to use the larger 25 round mag with the rifle and was wondering do I need to request this "modification" on my application.

FYI I have been a gun owner for many years (shotguns and CZ .22).

Many thanks

Using the larger magazine would turn a non restricted rifle into a restricted rifle, and you would be obliged to explain to the chief super why you need the capacity and why no non restricted firearm us suitable for your purpose. In short, I don't think it's a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 HolyMackeral

Many thanks for the answers - much appreciated. I'll keep it simple so and forget about the banana clip.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Buy yourself an extra ten rounder or a couple even, and have the exact same effect and be perfectly legal with less hassle.:P

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Advertisement