Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WiKID festival. June 20-22. Waterford City.

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I heard ages ago that there was going to be a new festival for the 1100 celebrations in Waterford but very little since then.

This is what's on the webpage.

"Okay. This is a totally wicked festival that’s all about fun stuff for families, especially kids. And that’s its name too – WiKID (Waterford Kids festival) and it’s all part of the celebrations for Waterford1100, when Waterford was founded by Vikings back in 914AD.

My name is Olaf Alot (geddit?) and I hope you’ll join me the weekend of 20th to 22nd of June for the best fun ever! There’s so much to do so, to make things easy for you, we’ve divided everything into Totally Wikid Stuff! Cool Stuff!, Nature Stuff! and Arty Farty Stuff!

Yep, it’s officially the best festival in the whole wide world, EVER.

Olaf Alot"

http://waterford1100.com/wikid-waterford/wikid/

Has anybody got any details about what is happening at this festival if anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

WiKID

What does the first "i" stand for?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LiamD1977

The whole 1100th thing has been a fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Waterford Blaa

The festival event details for WiKID will be announced in next weeks papers and the festival brochure will be in the Waterford Today of next week. The events are all being put in the back end of the website at the moment and they will be switched on by Tuesday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

The Website has finally been updated and there seems to be a good bit of stuff happening around the city over that weekend, It's a pity that some of them are pay-in ones as it'd be nice to keep it 100% free like SPRAOI weekend.

fingers crossed for SUNSHINE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

WiKID

What does the first "i" stand for?

Nobody?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

I got the flyer through the door. It looks savage. Stupid kids get all the cool stuff. Well, I'll tell you now- I'm getting my face painted. I don't care if I'm too old. (I'm a 32 year old manchild).

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭GrandBlaa

I totally want to sleepover in the museum! Not even in a pervy way or anything - I'd say it'd be mad craic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭TheVandal

GrandBlaa wrote: »
    I totally want to sleepover in the museum! Not even in a pervy way or anything - I'd say it'd be mad craic!!

That would be epic.

In today's Examiner.

Waterford city will be buzzing this weekend as it takes a step back in time to celebrate its 1,100th birthday with a comprehensive programme of cultural activities, especially for young people.

The WiKID festival will focus on children and interactive children’s events, while showcasing the heritage and culture of Ireland’s oldest city. Events include a sleepover at the architectural award-winning Medieval Museum, where participants will slumber while surrounded by ancient artefacts, and a Viking excavation where children can experience what it is like to be an archaeologist. There will also be a Viking school where they can learn to make and handle weaponry. There will also be fun for the rest of the family with archery for families and an authentic Medieval Fair.

The event, organised by Waterford City Council, will be launched by President Michael D Higgins on Friday.

“WiKID offers a fantastic birthday festival to mark Waterford1100 but, within this, something that could become an independent festival,” said Eamonn McEneaney, director of Waterford Museum of Treasures and an organiser of WiKID.

One of the highlights of the weekend will be the Vadrarfjordr Viking Village and Viking School where people can meet and watch ‘Vikings’ at work and participate in an authentic recreation of Viking life. A special Viking School will allow children to handle (under supervision) authentic weapons and to design their own wooden shields.

Viking history will further come to life at the Medieval Fair with its authentic sights, sounds and smells, and where Viking traders will demonstrate and sell their crafts. One of the most eagerly anticipated events is The Big Dig — a simulated and controlled archaeological dig where children aged from five to 12 years can work alongside real archaeologists. The Big Dig will take place in association with the School of Archaeology in UCD.

Have a Go Archery! offers safe target shooting for all the family with Hungarian horse bows.

Waterford is renowned for its street theatre and visitors can wander back in time with WiKID Streets, which will feature medieval-themed entertainment for families. There will be interactive theatre with Tumble Circus, which promises to turn the circus tradition upside down, with disobedient clowns, suffering acrobats and confused jugglers.

There will also be circus fun in the city’s Central Library, with The Tallest Smallest Circus, where the audience have to stand in for the missing circus acts.

Younger culture vultures can participate in puppet-making workshops, as well as backstage tours of the city’s beautifully restored Theatre Royal, and interactive sessions with Little Red Kettle theatre company.

The ‘Cool Stuff’ programme includes a talk by 14-year-old Waterford native and gaming entrepreneur Jordan Casey.

Full programme and booking info available at www.waterford1100.com.

© Irish Examiner Ltd. All rights reserved

Official website for the festival.

http://waterford1100.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

City counciller offsprings get in free to the pay events as usual its a party for the haves and a pay if you want to join us for the have nots...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Smiley Burnett

Hoffmans wrote: »
    City counciller offsprings get in free to the pay events as usual its a party for the haves and a pay if you want to join us for the have nots...

really??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Anybody at this yesterday. Any recommendations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

fair play to all involved, excellent festival and hopefully growing as the years go by. A kids festival is a great idea as it brings families in. Great buzz around all weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭The Bowling Alley

I have a suspicion that it was just a one off.

I have a suspicion that it was just a one off.

Hopefully they'll make it an annual festival, It doesn't have to be huge to be enjoyable, well done to all involved.

Advertisement