Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom fibre broadband roll-out

Options
  • 23-05-2014 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Does anybody know exactly when Eircom are bringing their fibre optic into Killoe/Drumlish area?
    I'm sick of calling them to be fobbed off with further and further dates any time we ring them, but stuck into a contract with them at the moment.
    I've had a look on their roll-out map and our area isn't even highlighted for roll out across the rest of 2014. It's a real nuisance, the speed we get is terrible.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Popple3

Considering the Balinalee exchange never even got contentionless 24Mb, I wouldn't be too hopeful of it getting fibre any time soon. I'm also not aware of any other rural areas in Ireland that have eFibre, probably because the infrastructure costs likely outweigh the revenue potential.

It's especially annoying for me, because I'm right at the end of the DSL catchment, meaning I got ~700Kb/s, with ~50 disconnects a day. As far I'm aware, fibre increases range of support. We eventually switched to WiMax, which isn't much faster, but is much more stable.

Thankfully I now spend most of my time in Athlone where I have 120Mb UPC, but going home to Longford feels like stepping 5-6 years back in time.

Advertisement