Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a place to set up my studio

• 23-05-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi, I hope this is the right section.

I'm looking for a place to rent/buy to build my studio. I just need one room + bath, no need for a separate live room/booth. I will need to put desk with computer, monitors, a couple of keyboards, book shelves/storage but nothing huge, so probably around 10-18 sq. metres should be enough. I will need to soundproof it but again I won't play drums there :)

Any suggestion on what I should look for and where? Garage, industrial units, ...?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

keep in mind that you will have to pay rates on a commercial unit whether you intend to make money with your business or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 jumpstart6

keep in mind that you will have to pay rates on a commercial unit whether you intend to make money with your business or not.

Thanks for the reply. Well yes, I intend to make money with it but I won't have clients on site. I work online, does it matter?

I was researching for portable offices/cabins as well, the idea is interesting but I'm quite new to all this. I suppose that with those cabins you need to rent a spot somewhere to put them.

it doesnt matter if you never bring a client in or if you never even have a client, if its a commercially zoned building that you rent, you pay rates.

What rates exactly? Can you link me something from the revenue about that?

Commercial rates are a property-based source of income that is levied by Dublin City Council on the occupiers of non-domestic property or properties that are considered rateable for the purposes of the Valuation Acts.

http://www.dublincity.ie/Business/CommercialRates/Pages/WhoPays.aspx

• Advertisement

So if let's say I buy a house and put a shed/cabin to use as studio, should I pay rates on that as well?
    Also how do they calculate the Rateable Valuation?

a shed or a cabin wouldnt need planning permission on private residential property and wouldnt be liable for rates.

if you built a new structure it would depend on the planning permission already in place for the land.

as you can see its a messy business and you wont get answers here on what it will cost you. you'll have to go to the council with your plans and deal with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭peter05

You have 25sqm and a height not exceeding 4m and not closer to the boundary than 3m. If you have an extension to your house its footprint is included in the 25sqm before planning kicks in AFAIK. You won't have any hope of having a residential rezoned to commercial. You can bang that door all you want. I've been down it.

What size room are you looking for? I know there is some places down beside me(D1) up for rent but you're looking at spaces of 4,000sqm+. They would really suit live rooms, mixing room, chill out area etc etc..

Advertisement