Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to thicken Beef Casserole

• 23-05-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm trying to make a Beef Casserole without using a packet mix to thicken it up, but yet again I chickened out and used the packet because I'm worried it won't thicken.

Could anyone tell me what they use / do to thicken it please?

my ingredients are:
    beef pieces, rolled in flour
    carrots
    onion
    mushroom
    celery
    garlic
    squeeze of tomato paste
    salt and pepper
    fresh parsley
    thyme
    about 300 mls of guinnes
    2 beef stock cubes just broken up, no water added
    1 packet of mix with 400 mls water

Thanks for any help / advice

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

It is normally flour or cornflour. If you read the back of the packet that you have just used you will find the bulk of it is flour and/or potato starch.

The easiest way to thicken things is to use cornflour. You put a couple of spoons of it into some cold water and stir it - then add it to whatever you are cooking. There are other ways, but that is the simplest I think.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

You've already rolled the beef pieces in flour so that should be enough to thicken it. When it's cooked, if it's a bit thin you could stir in some cornflour mixed with water - although what I'd do is throw in a handful of barley at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,129 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Just add a tablespoon of flour (usually left over from flouring the meat) to the pot and stir up with the meat and veg before adding any liquid.
    The recipe looks good apart from the packet mix.

This regularly comes up and people always suggest using cornflour. I really dislike the snotty, gloopy texture this gives to a dish.
    But each to their own. It is an easy fix, I guess.

My idea of a really awful stew:
    Stew made with round steak and thickened with cornflour. Eugh!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just add a tablespoon of flour to the pot and stir up with the meat and veg before adding any liquid.

That's how I've always done it and my mother before me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭ellejay

Thank you all for your replies.

Is the cornflour added at the end of the cooking time or beginning?
    I cook at 160 for about 3 hrs, in a cast iron pot, if that makes any difference.

RE Barley, I've heard of that before, how do you add it?
    I know what barley is, but what form do you add it?
    And where can i buy it please.

I've added just flour before and it was very very thin.
    And lumps of flour throughout.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Use the cornflour at the end if you need to thicken it up, I use potato flour also

You can buy barley in most foodshops, you just add it in at the beginning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭dmc17

To add the flour, as a previous poster said you need to mix it with a small amount of cold liquid first before adding to the pot

ellejay wrote: »

I've added just flour before and it was very very thin.
    And lumps of flour throughout.

You probably added after adding liquid.
    Add before any liquid and get all the meat and veg well coated before adding beer/wine/stock slowly while stirring.

It might be obvious but don't add too much liquid to your stew or it will be thin.
    It's easy to add more, not so easy to remove.

You can buy barley, called Pearl Barley, in any supermarket. It's really nice in stews and casseroles. You just add a handful at the beginning. If you add too much it will soak up too much liquid so although a handful doesn't look like much, don't be tempted to add more.

You can buy barley, called Pearl Barley, in any supermarket. It's really nice in stews and casseroles. You just add a handful at the beginning. If you add too much it will soak up too much liquid so although a handful doesn't look like much, don't be tempted to add more.

Thanks a million, I'll try that next time.
    could you use it in Lamb stew?

• Advertisement

You probably added after adding liquid.
    Add before any liquid and get all the meat and veg well coated before adding beer/wine/stock.

It might be obvious but don't add too much liquid to your stew or it will be thin.
    It's easy to add more, not so easy to remove.

yes that's exactly what i did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

the continental way would be to add a slice of bread with mustard when you add the liquid and let it simmer away. the belgians would also add a drop of beer.

the continental way would be to add a slice of bread with mustard when you add the liquid and let it simmer away. the belgians would also add a drop of beer.

interesting!!!
    so butter the bread(brennans?) with mustard, put the ingredients in, and place bread on top?

i add guinnes to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

I can't add anything more insightful than the other posters excellent advice except to say COrnflour is almost magical in it's effects.

When I first started using it I didn't realise the difference between cornflour and normal flour and I'd just spoon it in and end up with a thin sauce with little lumps floating in it.

The big trick is to to use cornflour, not normal flour, and mix it with COLD water until it dissolves and then pour into hot liquid.
    It will make any gravy,curry, soup or stew thicker within seconds.

I only add this to hammer home the point that you need to mix it cold before adding it to your hot recipe because I made that mistake constantly before I discovered the trick (as it happens it was written on the side of the cornflour packet, who knew!).

P.S. Cornflour doesn't add a taste like regular flour, so like I said it's magic, and also quite cheap - Yay.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I use potato flour as the OHs daughter is allergic to corn, but it's just like you've described, it's almost magical

ellejay wrote: »
    Thanks a million, I'll try that next time.
    could you use it in Lamb stew?

Yes, it's really good in lamb stew too - and chicken stew :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭patsypantaloni

I've used a beurre manie to good effect in recipes like this... Seemed to thicken the recipe nicely without the gloopy/lumpy problems you get from just adding flour
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/thickening_gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

I feel very left out - I never add any thickener to my stew, I just use nice pieces of meat with the bone ( and maybe some tendony-type stuff) and let it reduce a long time. Maybe the plentiful beer or wine helps thicken it? In any case my stews have even gone too thick this way and I had to put some water back in.

Jezek wrote: »
    I feel very left out - I never add any thickener to my stew, I just use nice pieces of meat with the bone ( and maybe some tendony-type stuff) and let it reduce a long time. Maybe the plentiful beer or wine helps thicken it? In any case my stews have even gone too thick this way and I had to put some water back in.

Most of my stews have no thickeners either.
    Tinned tomatoes can add body too. Finely chopped onions will also thicken. Sometimes a soupy stew is nice.
    My recent oxtail stew had no thickener.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Jezek

Most of my stews have no thickeners either.
    Tinned tomatoes can add body too. Finely chopped onions will also thicken. Sometimes a soupy stew is nice.
    My recent oxtail stew had no thickener.

maybe that expains it, I always fry onions in a stew. Well oxtail of course is very rich in thickeners itself!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I usually throw some finely chopped or grated potato in and it thickens it up nicely. You could maybe try using a less watery beer as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I've used a beurre manie to good effect in recipes like this... Seemed to thicken the recipe nicely without the gloopy/lumpy problems you get from just adding flour
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/techniques/thickening_gravy

only way to go. Just rub some butter in plain flour. you get that luxurious rich glossy sauce. I use it for stews, gravies and everything else that needs thickening. find cornflour changes the consistancy way too much.

http://viddy.it/VcMIu1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

Cornflour is a good quick fix if you are about to serve up and the sauce is too thin. But don't use too much or it gets a sticky texture that isn't great.

Sounds like you are using a bit too much liquid. After three hours in the oven it should have evaporated to a thick, rich sauce. When adding liquid at the start just fill to the top of the vegetables and meat. There is no need to cover it by much.

Some other ideas - add chopped up raw potato at the start of cooking. This bulks out the stew, adds to the flavor and thickens the sauce as the potatoes dissolve during long cooking

Mix up a batch of dumplings and add them to the stew for the last 15-20 minutes of cooking.
    8 oz Flour with 4 oz margarine rubbed in, 1 heaped teaspoon baking powder, pinch of thyme, salt and pepper and a little cold water to bind into a dough. Roll into golf ball size balls. Sit them on top of the stew and turn the heat up to 180. Cook uncovered for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
    The sauce will thicken slightly due to a mixture of the dumplings absorbing some liquid, the thickening effect of excess flour, and evaporation due to finishing the stew at a higher temperature uncovered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

You could just use Roux. It is very simple to make.

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    You could just use Roux. It is very simple to make.

thanks i know how to make a roux but didn't think it would be suitable for stew?

Advertisement